nursing/health care

knellul

Sep 21, 2014
i am thinking about moving to Samana to be with my husband...

any suggestions/tips or common knowledge that can be shared related to working in the health care field?
I work as a nurse in Canada and would like to do the same there. I know that the pay obviously is very different but any suggestions into making it a decent career there as well?

Thanks,

Katie

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hubby In Saman?

i am thinking about moving to Samana to be with my husband...

That's good.
Saman? peninsula or Santa B?rbara de Saman??

any suggestions/tips or common knowledge that can be shared related to working in the health care field?
I work as a nurse in Canada and would like to do the same there. I know that the pay obviously is very different but any suggestions into making it a decent career there as well?

What is your husband's opinion?

donP

knellul

Sep 21, 2014
Santa Barbara de Samana.

He wants to stay in Samana he is happy there and I love it. A decent career would be to do what i love which is working with pregnant women but also being able to afford to live as well so i don't need to make tons of money but i want us to be able to afford our car, to buy a house and have spending money. I don't know much about income in dominican republic but from what i have heard its not very much.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Spanish?

Santa Barbara de Samana.
He wants to stay in Samana he is happy there and I love it. A decent career would be to do what i love which is working with pregnant women but also being able to afford to live as well so i don't need to make tons of money but i want us to be able to afford our car, to buy a house and have spending money. I don't know much about income in dominican republic but from what i have heard its not very much.

All right.

Next Q:
How good is your Spanish?

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Monthly Income

... i want us to be able to afford our car, to buy a house and have spending money.

How much can your husband (you are indeed married, aren't you?) contribute to the monthly income?

donP

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nursing in the DR is nothing-nothing-like in Canuckia or the Estados.

Neither is the pay. Or working conditions.

Reach out to DR1er SKing if you want to have a better understanding of the nursing profession in the DR. I do believe she has some battle scars.

Her dealio is making $$$ as a travel/contract nurse for large coinage in the US then coming back to the DR to spend said coin between gigs.

Might be worth your consideration, because a car, house & spending $$$ derived from a nursing job in the DR is an opium dream...

knellul

Sep 21, 2014
yes i do speak spanish i def could improve which I'm working on. He works in the hotel industry so he can help contribute but i would obviously like to be able to do my part.

my husband did say the pay is not good but i wasn't aware that working conditions were poor.

I have actually thought about working here for a few months at a time and then just not working when I'm there in dominican or doing consulting work which I'm getting into now for legal cases in canada.

thanks for the contact i will reach out to her

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Data for Crystal Ball

He works in the hotel industry...

Managing or animation?

when I'm there in dominican or ....

Inside him? :confused:
{Do you not know the name of the country? :rolleyes: }

Again:
Are you married to the Dominican?
And if so, for how long so far?
What do you think "klk" means?

I know I am a bit nosy, but I need to feed all the data into my crystal ball... :bunny:
It hardly ever fails. :cool:

donP

knellul

Sep 21, 2014
no as a bartender. But he took hoteleria in university.

Im confused to the questions you are asking me. I just wanted to know what working in healthcare was like in the Dominican Republic... inside him?? i didn't say that. Yes we are married just recently and yes I know what klk means.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
klk

Im confused to the questions you are asking me.

Est? bien...

Data are sufficient for "Christel" (Name of my crystal ball)....

- living in SBdSaman?;
- bartender + nurse;
- married recently;
- Spanish satisfactory;
- want to afford a car, buy a house and have spending money;
- "klk" term is known;
- calls the Dominican Republic "dominican";

"Christel" will need a bit to process that...
In the meantime let's wait for HB and CC to chime in. :bunny:

donP

knellul

Sep 21, 2014
if you read above in my posts i called it the dominican republic i apologize that i forgot a word as i was typing in a subsequent post or don't know the colloquial term of said country if there is one. I am not sure what your deal is i came here for support not to be chided by anyone.

have just returned to canada after being in Samana. The plan is that eventually i will move there i wanted to get information on what this might look like for me or have other people with experience share their stories. Until then i am staying in canada to work and just visiting Samana every few months or so.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
there is no big hospital in Samana. There is an international hospital in Bavaro which might value a Canadian nurse enough to pay a decent wage .. bearing in mind that public hospitals here pay doctors about US $1k a month. But you might contact them Hospiten Santo Domingo S.A Enfermer?a - La Altagracia Tecoloco.com.do Hubby might transfer to there.

but buy a home and car? on those wages? ditto.. pipe dream/.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The Dominican is THE pet peeve of a few members on this board, don't sweat it.
DR (or the DR) is the shortcut.

Your best bet would be to do like SKing and pray that you found yourself a faithful Dominicano :)

Good luck !

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Adventure

there is no big hospital in Samana. There is an international hospital in Bavaro which might value a Canadian nurse enough to pay a decent wage ..

As you know MA, there are 2 private clinics in LT, not so far from SBdS.
Whether they'd be able to employ knellul (legally) or whether there is a demand, she could just ask.

The OP may realize that whatever wage she'd get would never be sufficient for the life style she aims at.

In case she intends to buy a house (as mentioned) with her savings, I strongly advise against it at this point of her adventure...

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will be able to buy a house & a car when you get here, you just wont want to drive the car,(On the Days it runs) or live in the house!!!!!
Add some kids to the mix and it will be worse!
Take him there!
If he says he wants to stay in the DR, there are two reasons, he is the ONLY dominican who doesn't want to leave, or his wife & kids want him to stay here!!!

Orvile Reddenbacker anyone?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

If you don't like to be CHIDED this may not be the site for you!!!!