Typical dominicana or anomaly? Thoughts from the DR1 veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Watcher

Sep 16, 2013
Hello DR1ers. 1st and foremost I would like to begin this post by saying this is not another "but this one is different" posts that I have read here before by men involved with dominican women.But more of an observation of a woman I have been involved with in DR for about 2 years now. I am curious on hearing the thoughts of other DR1 members with dating experience outside of the typical chica's found on the island. 1st off, there is not a huge age difference here. I am 42,she is 37 and we both come from similar economic back grounds. We both grew up poor but thru our own individual perseverance and hard work managed to make something better of our lives. She is educated, speaks english well,recently got a degree in marketing and is employed. She works for a US company and gets commission in US $ and does well for her self by dominican standards. I am audio engineer and far from rich, but I do ok for myself and for reference sake I'll also admit that I am in a much better place financially that I have led to this woman to believe.

I have traveled to DR on quite a few occasions and hung out with women there, so before meeting her, I was already very familiar with the pitfalls of getting serious with many of the dominicana's on the island and choose not to do so. Therefore from the beginning of our friendship, I have always been very guarded and have made a conscious effort to test the waters with this woman so to speak at every given opportunity. So anyway, 2 years ago I meet this woman on her job on one of my trips, we exchange contact info and begin skyping each other daily. We become friends, months pass, I see her again on the next trip and she asks me to come visit again but this time to spend time strictly with her. I tell her, I may be able to come for a few days but can't afford more than a few days at a resort or hotel,so she tells me thats fine and that she trusts me so the remaining time there I am welcome to stay at her home. I ask her what type of clothing does her two teenage boys from a previous marriage like to wear, because I would like to bring them something nice in return for the hospitality she's willing to show me. She abruptly denies this offer and ask's me, Why?" It is not your responsibility."

I arrive in DR and she meets me at the airport. I inquire about getting currency exchanged and she tells me I have had a long trip and that I shouldn't worry about that until the next day. She pays for the cab and takes me out to have a dominican breakfast which she also gladly pays for. She notices that my carry bag looks heavy and asks can she carry it for me. Cool start. Next day we set out for Puerto Plata. As we are hanging out she tells me" Look. I know that you don't have alot of money.I understand.You work very hard for your money just like I do. Many of the women here do not work, so they do not understand the value of money.I just want you to know that during our time together if there is anything that is too expensive please let me know.I will either help pay or we can do something else less expensive." I think to myself "Oh she's good....." We have a great time and I return to the states. Upon our next convo she asks me "So now am I your girlfriend?" I tell her that I like her a lot but the distance may be a problem for anything serious this soon but i would like to continue seeing her and see what happens. I also tell her during this conversation about a possible future relationship that I have no intentions what so ever of ever marrying a woman from the DR and bringing her to the states. She seems unphased by this and we continue getting to know each other.

Fast forward. I visit numerous more times,stay at her home on all visits and have a good relationship with her kids, so i guess you can say that she is my girlfriend at this point. Now, here it comes. Money. Has she ever asked me for money? Yes. But only once. Her story was that she was trying to finalize some paperwork on her divorce and needed $600. $500 of which she already has, but needed an extra $100 for the balance. I told her Im sorry but I will not support helping to finance ANY woman's divorce. Thats just something I will not do.She seemed a little ****ed but the next day everything was back to normal and she never brought it up again.

Recently, she put me in contact with a gentleman who is the director of operations for one of the cruise ship lines that does biz in the DR. It turns out that he was looking to fill a sound technician position and was having trouble finding good candidates on the island. So I find myself in the position of possibly moving out there for a while to work in my career field, which will of course give she and I the opportunity to really get to learn each other in a different capacity. I am interested in insight from the experiences of others from both sides of the fence. The negative and the positive when it comes to maintaining a serious relationship with a dominican woman.Ive dated and fooled around with many of them there in the past but never tried to have anything serious with one. Im already familiar with all the horror stories about the quote/ unquote "typical dominican women" who take guys that don't know any better to the cleaners. This woman seems be be alot sharper than those types. Any thoughts?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Posters warn for the hustler type, your woman is not. Just go with the flow.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I assume Dominicana are not created in a mold, hustlers around the world are.

Just from a female stand point.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cheap so far

Women just before midlife crisis or menopuse can be a good pick.... :classic:

And:
Don't be so taca?o!
She saved you more than 100$ so far... :bunny:

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Women just before midlife crisis or menopuse can be a good pick.... :classic:

And:
Don't be so taca?o!
She saved you more than 100$ so far... :bunny:

donP

And she hooks him up with a job !

Just be yourself, enjoy yourself and let your guard down a little (you might mess up something good).

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
You eluded too something like you have allot more money then she thinks? I'm sure you didn't mean it in your post, but you came off sounding cheap. She doesn't sound like a HO.

The Watcher

Sep 16, 2013
Plus guys let me clarify, I pointed out the $100 as a matter of principality ( as in i wouldn't give ANY woman ANYWHERE money for HER divorce.) Not as trying to come off as a cheap skate. lol There have been nice things I have done for her under my own accord. But since money is almost always a topic of discussion when it comes to dating dominican women, I thought I would speak on the only time she has asked me for money. Im not naive. Money will be a factor no matter what a woman's nationality is when it comes to a serious relationship. Im african american, so Im actually uncomfortable with the fact that even I sometimes ponder all the stereotypes about dominicana's. Im 42 but can easily pass for 28 because of my youthful appearance and style of dress. I wear sneakers,jeans and baseball caps on any given day because my career field is a relaxed one. Im a certified professional, but still I get stereotyped. I still see old women clutch their purses all the time if I'm standing too close in a grocery store. lol

The Watcher

Sep 16, 2013
No contango that wasn't my intent, but thanks for pointing out how that must have sounded. No. What i meant is that, i wanted to be sure that she was into ME for ME. I think alot of men coming from the states go the route of trying to impress these women with what they have right out the gate and that contributes to the woman's unrealistic expectations. In other words, does she know what I do for a living? Yes. Does she know what Im capable of financially ? Somewhat, but not really. Have I ever bragged about what type of car I drive or sent her pictures of my home? No. But thats not because Im cheap. Its more because I'm a humble individual first and foremost and secondly to be sure that Im not viewed as a walking ATM. Plus my logic has always been its never hard to find someone to express interest when they feel that you possess material gains they can benefit from but if someone isn't fully aware of those things but they still choose to show interest then there is an air of genuineness that you can take comfort in.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Plus guys let me clarify, I pointed out the $100 as a matter of principality ( as in i wouldn't give ANY woman ANYWHERE money for HER divorce.) Not as trying to come off as a cheap skate. lol There have been nice things I have done for her under my own accord. But since money is almost always a topic of discussion when it comes to dating dominican women, I thought I would speak on the only time she has asked me for money. Im not naive. Money will be a factor no matter what a woman's nationality is when it comes to a serious relationship. Im african american, so Im actually uncomfortable with the fact that even I sometimes ponder all the stereotypes about dominicana's. Im 42 but can easily pass for 28 because of my youthful appearance and style of dress. I wear sneakers,jeans and baseball caps on any given day because my career field is a relaxed one. Im a certified professional, but still I get stereotyped. I still see old women clutch their purses all the time if I'm standing too close in a grocery store. lol

She would appreciate a more conservative look albeit relaxed , but again be yourself.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
The reality is a woman in here situation (late 30's and a couple kids) has limited options in the DR.
In her eyes you are a dream (professional man with a job, close in age, willing to call himself her boyfriend and spend time to know her). If you really like her move forward with the relationship and let your guard down.

The Watcher

Sep 16, 2013
Yes. I know what you mean. I dress like that while working or casually out while here in the states. I dress differently when in DR and she and I are on outings. Im a Harlem,NYC dude so the sneaks and caps are hard to give up, but Im mature enough to know when to change it up.

The Watcher

Sep 16, 2013
Sorry Derfish but you entirely drew up the wrong conclusion from my post. I never said i lied or was phony to her. When I told her that I had limited funds for my first visit that was dedicated entirely to her, that was the truth because 1. I had just left the DR one month prior to that and as I stated Im far from rich. 2. Like everybody else I got bills to pay and had not planned on another trip so close to my last one. Don't know where you got being phony from as well. I simply stated that I have not revealed the full extent of my lifestyle AT THIS TIME because I wanted to be sure she was with ME for ME.So in other words, if she has not asked me how much money i have in my bank account or other things of that nature.I have not volunteered that information. I have never mistreated her, used her or abused her and have no plans in doing so. I have no ill intent what so ever towards this woman. I have done many great things for both her and her children without her even asking. You truly gained the wrong impression from my post my friend.

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005
She would appreciate a more conservative look albeit relaxed , but again be yourself.[/QU

I agree with Africaida. Sneakers, jeans and baseball cap is typical for dominican low class, AND gringos. If she is really well
educated maybe she prefers a more conservative look.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
WHAT's a typical dominicana? The only ones I know (wife, sisters in law, friends, customers) are normal women, with dignity, that behave roughly in the same way and have the same issues women have all around the world. All stories you heard about Dominican women that can't be trusted and will be only after your money, are from people that are looking for the wrong people. The same people who are always being taken advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.