who typically pays the lawyers when buying the property the vendor or the buyer?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Is it negotiable . What is a typical closing time after the sales agreement is signed. tks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is it negotiable . What is a typical closing time after the sales agreement is signed. tks

Are you confusing lawyers with Real Estate agents? Don't know about you but I'd want my own lawyer to look after my interests be it buyer or seller.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
As a buyer, I paid two lawyers. "the" popular firm in Sosua to draw up the contract and do the closing, and an attorney I trusted from an international firm in the capital to review everything they were doing step by step, unbeknownst to the Sosua law firm. Small price to pay for comfort in a large transaction.

As for closing, mine was fast. Approximately two weeks. I was purchasing a corporation that holds the condo. Title check, etc was done in that period. Process may be more complicated now with some new laws, property surveys, etc.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

That depends on the situation. Which one are you, buying or selling? Normally the buyer will have an attorney who will gather the necessary documents and make sure all the i s are dotted and the t s are crossed. However, if you are selling you may want your own attorney to represent your interests. I guess it really depends on how straight forward the sale is and what your comfort level is. Additionally if you are using a real estate agent and he is trustworthy he can also assist in the process.I recently sold my condo and I used the buyers attorney for certain documents I needed to furnish. I was not in the DR and used power of attorney. The time it takes to close depends on how quickly the necessary documents are in place and whether or not this is a cash deal or there is a third party involved, such as a bank, that is involved in the purchase. If it is a cash deal you could close in a month. Again that depends how quickly everything is in place.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Normally the buyer pays the closing costs but you can also select the lawyer, if the seller says they want to have their lawyer draw up the contracts you can either say "no" or "yes, but the seller can pay him". Buyers are very much in the driving seat in the current market.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
When I bought our house I paid a lawyer first to investigate the property title. Than I paid half on the lawyers fee to notarize the contracts (other half the seller paid) and finally I paid the lawyer who made sure the title would be on my name.

The real estate agent I used was paid by the seller (or better said, was included in the price of the house). he actually split the 5% commission with the agent of the sellers.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
When I bought I paid my lawyers. If each party doesn't pay their own lawyers there can obviously be a conflict of interests.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Normally the buyer pays the lawyer fees and the seller pays the sale commissions unless the seller has its own lawyer and chose to use his (not recommended) Your lawyer fees should not be more than 1% of total purchase price and that includes getting you the new title and the seller will have to get the two certifications that are needed. Gravamenes which is what shows if the property can or cannot be sold or if it has any lien and the IPI which the one that proves that all taxes has bee paid off on that property and that can be transfer to the new owner.

Aug 6, 2006
Has anyone here ever heard of anyone collecting on title insurance, in the US, the RD or anywhere else?
I never have, and neither had my father, who was a Recorder of Deeds for 12 years in Missouri.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Normally the buyer pays the lawyer fees and the seller pays the sale commissions unless the seller has its own lawyer and chose to use his (not recommended) Your lawyer fees should not be more than 1% of total purchase price and that includes getting you the new title and the seller will have to get the two certifications that are needed. Gravamenes which is what shows if the property can or cannot be sold or if it has any lien and the IPI which the one that proves that all taxes has bee paid off on that property and that can be transfer to the new owner.

1%?? I think it was not even 0.5%

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I may not be in Stinky's league -- propertywise --- but I'm not sure this is good advice

is it even available in RD ??
will they ever pay?

with des linde, is this a big problem?

dunno,

Yes and yes.

Do the research and you will find 1 or 2 reputable USA / global companies offering title insurance in the DR.