Verde o Maduro

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
When I first came to DR all I ever ate was platano verde, I hated them. They are tasteless and dry. Everyone would make fun of the gringo because platano verde was like veneno to me.

Then my world was changed the sweet, sweet day I had platano maduro. They are juicy, soft, sugary, and delicious. I can't imagine breakfast without platano maduro anymore. Sprinkle a little brown sugar on them while frying and it's like you've become best friend with Willy Wonka.

What do you prefer?

I know a lot of people like verde and not maduro. Others (like myself) prefer maduro to verde.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hate and continue to hate green plantains no matter what supposed delicacy they are used in. I cannot imagine anyone ever thinking they were a food item in the first place. After my fist taste of them over 12 years ago, I am sure I won't change my opinion of green plantains and equate them to lawn clippings.

I have no problem eating platano maduro from time to time.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Heresy...Thou shall not talk bad about the Platano. Don't you know how Dominicans identify with platanos? It's our national symbol. When we play in any international event...what do we say? Platano power that is. When a "Gringo" becomes dominicanized (i.e. liking Platanos) what do we say? He/she's "aplatanao". Have you tried them other than boiled? (Tostones, Mofongo, Sushi, etc). There are many different ways to prepare platanos verdes...platano verde | Cocinar en casa es facilisimo.com

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I like both.
I'd say I like maduro more because I knew it prior to DR, although I don't eat maduro with sugar and don't like when they are too riped.
You can make Verde a little less dry and more tasty (and even spicier) by soaking them in a liquid seasoning before you fry them (second round) but I have never seen Dominican do it that way (that s how they do it in other parts of the world).

@suarezn: it's funny to me because before traveling to the Caribbean, I thought plantains were only eaten in Africa.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Heresy...Thou shall not talk bad about the Platano. Don't you know how Dominicans identify with platanos? It's our national symbol. When we play in any international event...what do we say? Platano power that is. When a "Gringo" becomes dominicanized (i.e. liking Platanos) what do we say? He/she's "aplatanao". Have you tried them other than boiled? (Tostones, Mofongo, Sushi, etc). There are many different ways to prepare platanos verdes...platano verde | Cocinar en casa es facilisimo.com

I have tried the various versions of so called food items made with green plantains. No idea how people can eat them. Keep in mind my wife is Dominican and she loves them. They are all just varying degrees from bad to horrible for me.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I am not a great fan of platano verde ( to say the least.....), I prefer maduro. Guineo are ok verde ( and good for diabetics, so I heard ).
But 4he ones I love are the tiny small ones !!! Maduro of course.

But of course we all know why dominicans eat them verde....... so somebody else doesnt get to them first.....:p

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
@suarezn: it's funny to me because before traveling to the Caribbean, I thought plantains were only eaten in Africa.

I'm sure that's where they came from originally, but for some reason we Dominicans really identify with Platanos. I have a special soft spot for them, because I grew up in a Plantain farm. I used to eat them (maduros) right off the tree.

Feb 7, 2007
I can only eat platano verde as tostones or in mangu or mofongo. Boiled one is a NO GO.
For platano maduro, I love it in Pastelones.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
occasionally i will eat some pastelon but only as one of the many dishes to scoop on a plate but let's face it: dominicans are not capable of producing anything sweet that is worth eating. so i am going with platano verde. i quite like mangu but i may eat maximum of 2 tostones. still, there is no starchy food better than a potato.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would eat boiled buen-pan any day over green plantains. After two tostones the back of my throat starts to close up tighter than an unpaid ....well you get the idea.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
What do you prefer?

I grew up eating amarillos but I rarely do now because I try to stay away from fried foods. That being said, I would eat some canoas at the drop of a dime. In general, I find the platano options much more plentiful in Puerto Rico and Colombia.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I can only eat platanos as mang?, and only the green ones. I don't like them though. I can't think of any dominican food that I like.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
if I want sweet plantain I'll eat a banana

This is very confusing.

U can let platano become maduro, nearly black ( past the yellow stage ) and eat them raw.
But what is a banana ? I guess it is guineo maduro, but I am not sure.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is very confusing.

U can let platano become maduro, nearly black ( past the yellow stage ) and eat them raw.
But what is a banana ? I guess it is guineo maduro, but I am not sure.
Pl?tanos are plantains - but I have never heard of anyone eating them raw, however ripe they get
Guineos are bananas and can be eaten green (boiled) or ripe (raw)

I also prefer green plantains fried (tostones and mofongo) rather than boiled/mashed.
Boiled green bananas are truly horrible.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
totones 2.jpgtotones.jpg

Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
now i see those photos it suddenly occurred to me that dominican food tends to be dry as f**k. and void of flavour.