Help! Looks like I have malware

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I noticed it on DR1 this morning and at first glance thought it was a new feature, and then realised that other sites I was visiting had a similar thing - a sensationalist news headline e.g. "Man spends 5 days unconscious in his office following stroke" followed by "(BWNToday)". A quick search reveals it is malware. Luckily I have not clicked on any of the links.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, how have they solved it?

I also sometimes get redirected to a "Clean up your Mac" site when I click on normal links, and this too is apparently caused by malware. Again, I have not clicked on anything in that site, I just close the tab the moment it appears.

I suspect this has been caused by downloading free e-books.

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Using a Chrome browser

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought Macs were immune from nasty digits...

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I noticed it on DR1 this morning and at first glance thought it was a new feature, and then realised that other sites I was visiting had a similar thing - a sensationalist news headline e.g. "Man spends 5 days unconscious in his office following stroke" followed by "(BWNToday)". A quick search reveals it is malware. Luckily I have not clicked on any of the links.

I also sometimes get redirected to a "Clean up your Mac" site when I click on normal links, and this too is apparently caused by malware. Again, I have not clicked on anything in that site, I just close the tab the moment it appears.

Mac OS X 10.8.5

Using a Chrome browser

Do you have any security programs on your computer?

A free malware program that has a good reputation is Malwarebyes Anti-Malware. Google it to get a download source.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I thought Macs were immune from nasty digits...

They're not immune, virus coders simply target for the largest impact. So do you target <10% of the market, or >60% of the market?

The fact that people think Macs are immune probably means none of them have any protection, so who knows when some guy might go after than <10%?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Do you have any security programs on your computer?

A free malware program that has a good reputation is Malwarebyes Anti-Malware. Google it to get a download source.

Thanks Ken, but it doesn't seem to have anything for Mac.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I may have to, B. The online help forums advise checking applications/utilities/activity monitor but nothing suspicious appears on that list; nothing unusual in the Chrome extensions either.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mike, the "news items" first appeared today and the "clean up your Mac" redirect has been going on for a while.

Jul 28, 2014

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Using a Chrome browser

Use this > http://www.avg.com/ca-en/avg-antivirus-for-mac