Rocking Chairs - fake wicker

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am looking for a place to buy two of the look like wicker rocking chairs. They usually come in white although they also have them in brown and sell for around 3000 pesos. My memory won't cooperate as I have seen several places either on Gomez or Churchill just above 27 when riding Caribe or Metro.

Also any chance of finding Kingsford charcoal near Gazcue?

While I am at it where in the world do you find the aluminum folding beach lounge chair with a cushion? I tried Plaza Lama and IKEA with no luck.

Thanks in advance...................

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This is what I am looking for, only in white. I am just trying to avoid running around town to find the store where I saw them at. It was either Gomez or Churchill just above 27. If only I could remember which bus I was on when I saw them I would know right away.

I am in Gazcue and this store would be so easy to get to and have them transported to my place.

ta0x2q.jpg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
About 90% of the furniture stores carry them. I've seen them in Plaza Lama.

Probably so, but if someone knew if it was Gomez or Churchill where I saw the store it would be the easiest spot for me to go, cut a deal on two chairs and a table and be finished with it. Plus I want to get an extra set of cushions and I am almost sure that would be easier to negotiate in a family owned roadside store than the mega-stores.

The place I saw had a large inventory with many different colored cushions.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
27 feb. just past dr.delgado

This is definitely not the place I am talking about but it is close enough. What is the selection like there. Right now I need the two rockers and a table and possibly two chairs and a larger table.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you like THOSE chairs, you are now OFFICIALLY Dominican!!!!!
Too small for my HUGE GRINGO,.......?CULON?!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
These chairs are so ugly, my eyes are bleeding :)

I never said they were pretty, they are "Dominican". :p

Actually they are quite comfortable to sit in late at night sipping a cold one and enjoying the night breeze. At 3,000 pesos a piece I consider that quite reasonable. I have two that have been exposed to the elements 365/24/7 for two years and held up quite nicely. One busted up the other night but it was really not the chair's fault. The chairs aren't meant for everything. :classic:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i remember the haitens were making them in an abandoned(building) maybe a restaurant on the highway from santiago to p.p...midway on the north side...there always were a bunch of peugeots there. i stopped and they had the factory going... they would make them there...no rent etc...sell them to other stores... same stuff...
fiberglass/resins painting... probably still there making more of them than before...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...... same stuff...fiberglass/resins painting... probably still there making more of them than before...

LOL, when the one chair broke the other night I was really surprised to see what they are made of.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have 4 rocking chairs, a coffee table, 2 chairs, bench, another coffee table, in that kind of material...... guess that makes me more dominican everyday .....:surprised
They do well as garden furniture.
I learned the hard way u need to wet them ( drench them ) every couple of months for them to keep thir solidity.

May 29, 2006
Once upon a time, you could get good handmade furniture in the DR. My folks bought a park of wooden rocking chairs with wicker seats back in the early 70s at $25 for the pair, made from solid Kaoba. We still have one.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Once upon a time, you could get good handmade furniture in the DR. My folks bought a park of wooden rocking chairs with wicker seats back in the early 70s at $25 for the pair, made from solid Kaoba. We still have one.

In the campo u still can !! But prices have gone up. Rocking chairs, chest of draws, entire kitchen cabinets.......

Aug 6, 2006
Mahogany furniture in the DR is better made and cheaper than what you find in US furniture stores. Of course, in the US, really solid used furniture is available if you just look for it.

May 29, 2006
...and are willing to pay very high prices. But I won't buy anything made with particle board which eliminates most of the crap from IKEA.

There is a big gap between the cheap stuff and expensive stuff. I won't go a restaurant that has those bamboo chairs that look like they came from Gilligan's Island. The white resin chairs are OK as long as it's not so hot the legs go soft(esp on uneven ground). They break down in direct sun quickly. I think director's chairs would be ideal. The fabric isn't hard to replace and they hold up well. Those old school lawn chairs with the woven strips are OK, but I haven't seen one for years.

I think the thing to do is shop at the big box stores and look for end of season closeouts to have sent down.