Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Power Company in Las Terrenas

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    the generators can run as long as there is money to keep them going. even if the power really does go off it will not be indefinitely, a solution of sorts will be found, eventually.

enough solar to power up a large business is a big investment. family member has a business in a zone where he receives 8 hours of power a day. so he runs a generator 16 hours a day. he considered solar and calculated that he would recuperate the money invested in 15 years minimum and then keep on investing (changing batteries etc).

Ask him to run the numbers again.  Both panel prices and components and inverter prices have come down considerably
    in the last two years.  Maybe half price at this point.  Do some research and install yourself to save another 20-30%.  Still one of the more expensive parts, as you mentioned are the batteries.  Just go with the minimum and reduce your consumption when needed.  Nobody will be coming out to your business anyway if it is cloudy and raining.  You can also get cheap wind turbines on eBay.  Testing one now. I will give you a report in a few weeks.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears to me that most folks down here are just assuming L&F and SIE will reach an agreement before a general blackout on april 26. So no one is moving... As of me, I believe we might have a taste of the blackout (unsure about how long). This is within 10 days, and I have seen the solar panel company jeepeta driving up and down the area, I believe there are plenty of people getting ready to survive with solar.

Time will tell...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

T minus 10 and counting - Good luck LT. I know how badly such situations suck.

4. Likes Squat liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone interested in an 8000kw Generac propane generator or a marine wind turbine can pm me 

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Our Solar investment... working great!

Our Edenorte bills had increased over the years without us adding any demands. In fact, we cut our elec. use a lot. One major one was our hot tub. Yet our bills kept climbing. The other problem was the dirty power that would fry TVs and other electronics. The amount of batteries needed to keep things going during blackouts would be 4 or more banks unless we recharged using the generator but diesel prices climbed too so using the generator became expensive. We started with a small solar system and started adjusting.

Our elec. bills still increased to an avg. $21,000. DP per month and still frying things.

2 years ago, we invested about U.S. $15,000.; inclusive; in a new solar system and had it shipped in from the U.S. (We had a quote from a reputable company here in the D.R. that would cost U.S. $5,000 more PLUS installation and misc.) 15 large panels, 120/240 inverter, solar controller, proper breakers and everything/anything that we needed. We installed it all ourselves. The inverter also was able to take our older panels/systems so that was a big plus.

We still use a little Edenorte in the winter months but since adding another battery bank is not practical not going to do. Our system does a great job of filtering out dirty power so not having to replace electronics at all with the new system. Other then monthly lube time for the generator, we very seldom need it.

Our Avg. Edenorte is $2,000 DP per month.

Our system will pay for itself in less then 3 years while providing clean electric and very little maintenance.

We could "sell" to Edenorte but don't want to get near that at all.

Good luck.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940