Safe to go on excursion?

gbill2004

Oct 6, 2014
My girlfriend and I will be visiting Punta Cana for two weeks this December, staying at Bavaro Princess. I've booked us an excursion to visit Higuey, a cigar factory, a sugar cane and fruit plantation, Altos de Chavon and a baseball game in La Romana. This is a private tour so just my girlfriend and me along with the driver and guide.

In reading these forums it appears that there are frequent vehicle accidents in Punta Cana and surrounding areas. Should I be cancelling our excursion? Are there any tips or requests I should ask of our tour company, Dominican Quest to ensure a safe tour?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You should be fine. There are traffic accidents everyday at home. If you feel your driver is driving too fast or recklessly, ask him to slow down. Do not let him talk on his cell while driving and avoid driving after dark.

It's not like there are vehicles hiding in the bushes waiting to intentionally broadside you as you pass by. If you are not comfortable speak up. Besides, I'd bet your driver & guide aren't in business to get into an accident as that is not a very popular tour to offer.

Rgds.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go and enjoy yourself, the new road is nicer than you will see where you come from.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
Absolutely go. Indeed, the new road between Punta Cana and the city is very nice. After Altos De Chavon, have your driver take you to a place in La Romana called Cinco (if for some reason he doesn't know where it is, there will be signs as soon as you come into town). It's a gelato place and it's great. Then have fun at the stadium becoming a Toros fan :)

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Life is to short to hide in an AI. I am sure the Sankies will miss you on those days. They will warn you not to talk to any other guys while out on your tours for the Sankies at your resort are the only good, honest men on the island.

gbill2004

Oct 6, 2014
Is there anything we can do to make the drive safer? Alternate routes? Safer vehicle? Ask driver to drive limit and stay in slow (right?) lane?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Your obsessing over this way too much. Do you anticipate needing to ask your pilot to not fly over 20000 feet and avoid flying over water? At home do your harangue your taxi/bus driver from the back seat?

In the end if this is a big deal for you, stay on your resort and try not to fall down and bump your head. Whatever you have heard or read is not a true reflection of the situation. Yes planes crash, cars do sometimes get crunched, so do buses, trucks, motos and I am sure the occasional bird impacts a windshield. There is no such thing as a "truly safe car ride" anywhere in the world.

Go or don't go, just don't negate the possibility of having an enjoyable/safe experience before you even get here.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Avoid Newark

Go and explore. You have already paid enough money for the transit and stay at the AI. But, it is good to see what is beyond the fence.

Put your situation in perspective; yes, there is risk of accident but you are more at risk traveling from your own home to the local supermarket and back, or driving in Newark New Jersey.

Go out and enjoy the Dominican activities.

Regards,

PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I would not worry, but, I would demand to see, and copy, the driver's Driving License, and leave a copy with the hotel administration, as well as your itinerary, and time to return.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Stay inside your ?AI? after dark.

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Two weeks confined to an AI would be stultifying. These excursions you've planned are a great way to break the AI routine, see something of the countryside and get some flavor of local life. The beisbol game should be fun. If you are not fluent in Spanish this would be a good opportunity to develop some facility with it.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Is there anything we can do to make the drive safer? Alternate routes? Safer vehicle? Ask driver to drive limit and stay in slow (right?) lane?
I would suggest before you leave the hotel ...wrap yourself and your partner in bubble wrap.....actually it might be preferably to wrap both of you before you leave for vacation...accidents can happen at the airport

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
Good grief, you're going on a day excursion (it sounds like you will have fun), not going on a patrol in Iraq. Your driver will be used to the Dominican style of driving. He will be squared away and will likely be able to show you some things you haven't thought of. The Autopista del Coral is a great, new road. It's very smooth, well marked, and secure. Really, you'll have fun. Just relax.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If the driver is going to fast or driving carelessly ask him to go slower as your gf is very nervous. Then give him a tip and a smile. You will be fine.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
i would not worry, but, i would demand to see, and copy, the driver's driving license, and leave a copy with the hotel administration, as well as your itinerary, and time to return.
Cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

stay inside your ?ai? after dark.

"smart";)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
A Dominican friend finally told me what since then has become my coping strategy, "Just give your a** to Jesus and enjoy the ride". Works fine for me!

All good except no religious references in all forums except Off-Topic.