Motorcycle tour of DR

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Hello all........I'm going to DR and purchasing a small motorcycle and plan to tour the island. I have never been there before. I have been watching youtube vids and trying to learn about the country. I speak fluent spanish which i hope will be a big help for me.........hope to get to know some of you folks here and maybe visit you there!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You might want to check out Motocaribe. They have motorcycle tours all throughout the country and have good prices now in the off season. My favorite rides are to Las Terranas, Los Pedernales and Constanza. Best of luck!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I agree. A good place to start in getting to know the island and lack of driving rules would be to do a tour with Motocaribe. After that, if you still have the adventure bug in you, then you can purchase a bike and start off where you left off with the tour. At least you will have a head start and know what to do and what not to do.

Frank

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
2nd thought...dont know what your budget is or how long you stay...but you gotta plan your trip well...
New bike?
used bike? hard to find and time consuming...
buy a new china bike and take it to a shop for a 50 mile check up...175cc...most popular. single goes well.. and u can sell...maybe a 125... good hunting and no matter what you will have a time of your life...
remember,,,,,lov it lock it. popular bikes are stolen e z for them and u walk...park near a shop. bring a secure chain...pay someone to watch it ,,,dominicans will let you pull your bike into their shop if you want behind it etc....

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello all........I'm going to DR and purchasing a small motorcycle and plan to tour the island. I have never been there before. I have been watching youtube vids and trying to learn about the country. I speak fluent spanish which i hope will be a big help for me.........hope to get to know some of you folks here and maybe visit you there!

Ok, slow down Mr.potatohead. Where are you from? This idea sounds like you thought about it after you smoked some weed. You have never been here before but you are ready to buy a motorcycle. Come back when you actually are sober enough to make some sense.

potatohead

May 10, 2012
extremely high skill level?

Buy a Jeep.......... rent a Jeep.......... buy a car............... Do yourself a favor and don't ride a bike here unless for little spins around your own town.......... Going on a couple of tours with Motocaribe would be a great way to see the island on a bike. but.......for foooooooks sake............ doing it alone is not recommended unless your skill level is extremely high.

I have moderate motorcycle driving skills. I don't understand why I must fear? My habit is to drive carefully and
only during daylight hours. Motocaribe? I went to thier website and saw some of thier videos. I think they have a good thing going there, but I like to go where I want and leave when I want. So their program doesn't suit me. I
do appreciate your warning but I wish you could be more specific. Of course the more skillful a driver is, the
better, no matter where one drives. What exactly are you warning me about and I can try to prepare for it?
And I would certainly like to contact the woman mentioned that has done this before, if some one has her
contact info.
Thanks all for your advice. I listen carefully to all that is given. My safety depends on it..........ph

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
EVERYONE on this forum knows someone, or the family of someone, who was killed on a ?MOTO?!
Be AWARE, be VERY AWARE!!!!!!!
I know MANY!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have moderate motorcycle driving skills. I don't understand why I must fear? My habit is to drive carefully and
only during daylight hours. Motocaribe? I went to thier website and saw some of thier videos. I think they have a good thing going there, but I like to go where I want and leave when I want. So their program doesn't suit me. I
do appreciate your warning but I wish you could be more specific. Of course the more skillful a driver is, the
better, no matter where one drives. What exactly are you warning me about and I can try to prepare for it?
And I would certainly like to contact the woman mentioned that has done this before, if some one has her
contact info.
Thanks all for your advice. I listen carefully to all that is given. My safety depends on it..........ph

The recommendation for using Motocaribe was to really get your feet wet here. Since we really don't know a lot about you or your skills it seemed the appropriate thing to do.

The DR can be a safe place to ride a motorcycle if you follow the "rules".

I have had two motorcycles here and logged over 15,000 miles and been on various Motocaribe tours.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
With the right bike, you could do this trip:

[video=youtube_share;TYjWvyjLgx4]http://youtu.be/TYjWvyjLgx4?list=UUwqGtCbKPC0n50nraMPtNCA[/video]

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Ok, slow down Mr.potatohead. Where are you from? This idea sounds like you thought about it after you smoked some weed. You have never been here before but you are ready to buy a motorcycle. Come back when you actually are sober enough to make some sense.[/QUOTE
Thank you sir, I needed that..........I have immersed my head in a bucket of ice water for a full 15 minets. Upon removing my head from that place, I still want to do it! The consesus here seems to be that if i mounted a motorcycle I would not know
wether to face the handle bars or the tail light. I would like to take this opportunity to direct you to a couple of ebooks I
recently penned. "Motorcycling in Ghana" and "Motorcycling in Mindanao".........I beleive the difficulty of those two trips were much more daunting than what I now propose. Agreed, I have never been to DR but, there is no war there, a la Mindanao and the people seem relatively sane, which would put them ahead of many of my destinations in West Africa. I do appreciate the
caveats and the warnings. I am paying attention. I'm a firm beleiver in getting all the data i can before setting off. But set off I do!
So Steve, if I succeed, will you promise to make me "unsober" again?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I would tell u to go ahead........ but thats only my take.

Just to correct u on people seem same....... u have no idea !!!!!!!
A good idea would be to practice on GTA on a playstation...... that sums it more or less up.:laugh:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Potatohead,

Just come down and do it. Personally, i would do the Motocaribe tour first and then embark out on your own after that. The motocaribe tour has the most comfortable Dual sport Adventure bikes i have ever ridden: Suzuki 650 V-Strom's. The seats are plush and the suspension is like a Cadillac. Compared to my thin banana seat on my bike, the V-Strom's are heaven.

Here is my new favorite route (check out the map of the route at the beginning of the video):

[video=youtube_share;8ndllmiQ-YA]http://youtu.be/8ndllmiQ-YA?list=UUwqGtCbKPC0n50nraMPtNCA[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This is the route for the above video (it could even be done in an all-wheel drive):

1.)
HaitianBorderTrip1_zps43f4cda8.png

Frank

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Beautiful video! That's what I'm talking about! But you don't even wear gloves? I use gloves and body armor. I'm a bit timid I
suppose. If I buy a new bike there, will the dealer give me a free full face helmet in the deal? Or do I need to bring one from
home?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Beautiful video! That's what I'm talking about! But you don't even wear gloves? I use gloves and body armor. I'm a bit timid I
suppose. If I buy a new bike there, will the dealer give me a free full face helmet in the deal? Or do I need to bring one from
home?

You need to bring a good helmet. I have some questions for you.

1. What kind of bike do you plan on doing your tour on?

2. What is your budget for the tour?

3. How many days or weeks will you be here?

Frank

potatohead

May 10, 2012
You need to bring a good helmet. I have some questions for you.

1. What kind of bike do you plan on doing your tour on? CHEAP CHINESE 150 OR HONDA 125 wHATEVER IS AVAILABLE IN
THE CHEAP 100-150 RANGE. THESE BIKES ARE UBIQUITOUS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.

2. What is your budget for the tour? 10 THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE OR LESS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

3. How many days or weeks will you be here? FIVE MONTHS MORE OR LESS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Frank
Looking for a 150cc cheap chinese bike..............spending around 10 grand..............duration of trip is 5
months, more or less......

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
We had a gal do her blog of her trips around the islandhere on DR1 a few months ago. Very nice gal. Cobraboy may remember her name. I don't, nor do I remember the name she posted under. I did meet her however and we spent a few hours together. Don't forget to pay attention to all the fear monger posts. We have some posters who are so extremely full of fear I don't know how the walk down the block for a beer.
Der Fish

That was Scrabblebiker.

http://dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/141851-scrabblebiker-does-dominican-republic.html