visa renewal

potatohead

May 10, 2012
I have learned that I will receive a 3 month visa upon arrival at DR. My plan is to stay for 5 months.......How is
the visa renewal process? Painful? Arduous? simple?
Do I need to be in a certain city to effect this transaction? Or is there a BOI in every large town?
thanks............spud

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Never heard of a 3 month visa. Are you entering as a tourist? Tourists typically pay $10 for a tourist card that affords them 30 days in the DR. If you stay beyond that you have to pay a tax when you leave. It's not a fine, you've done nothing illegal. It's not much money either. My parents left the country after being here for just shy of 2.5 years and it was $150 each. You pay right at the airport when you pass through immigration control.

Many people come and go as they please and don't bother making it official. At some point the gubmint may decide to finally crack down on immigration but don't hold your breath.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Well, the tourist visa, the one you get upon entry is valid for 30 days. You can extend it by another 30 days for a total of 60. Which would be pointless because you will be here for 5 months anyways. There are no further extensions. So, you need to show up, get the 30 day, and be in 'overstay' for the remaining four months. You'll pay a fee when you leave. It's not much.

There is currently nothing else to cover your 5 months. Unless you want to work, you'll be fine.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
Visa Renewal

Our initial Retiree Visas were issued for 60 days only. Guess the attorney will deal with the shortness of the time-frame when proceeding with the legalities of Residency...I HOPE :alien:
We had the same 60 day stamp in the passport.on our last trip back to Canada we paid $1000 RD each in overstay fees..there is a set rate,and nothing a lawyer can do about these :( .We are still waiting on Residency/Cedula so I am sure our next trip there will be another tax to be paid..Small price to pay! As far as I understand from the lawyer..there is not a renewal process for your "Temporary Residency Visa Stamp"