Anyone know the current status of the Punta Cana - Miches highway?

Feb 2, 2013
How far can you get these days, almost all the way? Or will it remain closed past uvero alto until it opens completely?

I also heard there will be a ferry to Samana - true?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not open all the way yet. They are saying Jan. or Feb. But that could be "Dominican Time".

Feb 2, 2013
I saw now it is open! So does anyone know if you will be able to go whale watching from Miches into Samana Bay?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I saw now it is open! So does anyone know if you will be able to go whale watching from Miches into Samana Bay?

Only one way to find out. I am sure you could hire a boat to take you out on the bay but just be careful what size boat you are able to get. Many guys will take you out in a wooden skiff that will not be very comfortable if you have a tendency to get sea sick. Most of the tours are run out of Samana City, see Kim Beddall whale watching on the net.

UrbanGuest

Apr 12, 2013
www.georgiaflash.com
I was in Punta Cana for Thanksgiving and drove up the new road. It was good for about a half hour or so north of uvero alto. The road hugged the coast but was a couple of kms from the water so I never did get to see any of the beaches up that way, still beautiful scenery. I've read recently that the road is now complete to Miches and they are working on connecting the next town/city along the way. I'll be back in PC in February and plan on going up that way to look around.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I was in Punta Cana for Thanksgiving and drove up the new road. It was good for about a half hour or so north of uvero alto. The road hugged the coast but was a couple of kms from the water so I never did get to see any of the beaches up that way, still beautiful scenery. I've read recently that the road is now complete to Miches and they are working on connecting the next town/city along the way. I'll be back in PC in February and plan on going up that way to look around.

I'm driving up that highway tomorrow after my meeting at hard rock. I'll report back.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The whole road was inaugurated a few days ago.

[video=youtube;GFslxW1-amM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFslxW1-amM[/video]

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I went to Miches a few years ago the old way from Higuey. The best part of going there was leaving there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We drove to Miches yesterday and it is a beautiful and scenic drive, perfect for a day out. Once you get past Uvero Alto the attractive hilly landscape and lack of garish billboards and large scale commercial development makes a change from the flat topography of the southern part of the eastern region, with unspoiled rural scenes in the small settlements along the way.

It took one hour or so from Punta Cana.

Places to eat in Miches include Coco Loco right on the beach. High quality seafood for reasonable prices, but the restaurant was understaffed so service was not perfect. They seemed unprepared for the influx of customers from Punta Cana and La Romana who like us, were trying out the new road on a beautiful sunny day. One table was made up of a large group of Harley Davidson bikers from PC and La Romana. Lovely setting and clean bathroom facilities. They also rent out caba?as.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cocoloco-Beach-Club/297069907168141

Other places to eat are Rancho La Cueva about 12 km before Miches and La Loma, the hotel on top of the hill in the town of Miches.

In Miches, ask for directions to "la casa de Cayuco" - nickname of Genaro Reyes, a local craftsman who runs a project for children and young people in the area. We were treated to a demonstration and allowed to take part in the process of artisanal cacao preparation from plant to pods to beans to drinking chocolate, and invited to browse around a large display of his wood craft creations.

Genaro Reyes! Cayuco
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Centro-Cultural-De-Miches-Cayuco/199220546819787

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes, the new connection gives us SE'erners comfort to frequent new areas like around Miches without the need to order a new Shocks Package for the car after a weekend up the coast, lol. it takes one hr from Cabeza de Toro to Miches, on a smooth ride without exceeding the 100KM/Hrs speedlimit. we will be back for Valentines day this saturday.

Mike

agw

Feb 14, 2010
We also drove up yesterday morning and were leaving town just as the Harley Davidson group were getting there. There was also a very large group of cyclists prior to that for Kilometers along the way. Not a ride for the casual cyclist, that's for sure, but a real pleasure in the car. Took us about an hour as well.

We've been to Miches quite a few times in previous years visiting just east of there and I really have to say I am so glad to not take that road from Higuey and El Seibo again through the mountains. I think it's numbered 107. Scariest thing I ever did in my life was take that road in the rain and fog a few years ago. I still have photos of us on the other road (104?) fording the river just outside of Las Lagunas de Nisibon about 7 years ago in our tiny little rental car. Used to take us well over 3 hours one way.

I wonder how that whole coast will change with the new road?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the face of the whole coastline will change a lot over the years.
punta cana is full, in Uvero Alto a few more projects will fill the area, Miches is the now sponsored next "Section" of Toruism on the DR Eastshores. it sure will never again be as beautiful as it is todays, the future will "develop" the area and that does not make everything "prettier". I bet some long term Futuristic Planners have that large Tourist Mekka "Eastshores" in their visionary minds, one large Resort City along the Eastshores from Cap Cana to Samana.

Mike