The beginning of the end?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Medina convenes stakeholders for Electricity Pact

President Danilo Medina has called a meeting between the Economic, Social and Institutional Council (CESI), government and civil society institutions and other stakeholders to prepare the scenario for the discussion and drafting of the National Pact for Electricity Sector Reform. Art. 35 in the National Development Strategy Law 1-12 (ENDI) ordered the Electricity Pact to be signed no later than 25 January 2013. The private sector has been calling for the meetings, criticizing the government for taking decisions that should have complied with the pact.

In Decree 389-14 President Medina gave the participants in the discussions six months from the start of the process to the signing of the agreement to reach a national consensus on the new model for generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity that results in a quality electricity service at a lower cost, which is more stable and does not represent a fiscal burden for the government.

Danilo Medina convoca a firmar Pacto El?ctrico en seis meses

There you have it boys!

The gov is looking to take to task the final solution for an everlasting problem for the DR: Electricity!

From the basic supply of prime sources to generation, transmission, distribution, billing, taxes, collections...

But the most important one is the one that aims to remove the entire scheme of public subsidy applied as today to the sector.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have no doubt it will included a recommendation for a massive investment in new infrastructure funded by the Government (tax payer) and rolled out by the private sector (PLD inner sanctum).

Just adopt what they do in Colombia, it works, rather than reinvent the wheel.

Better still, take Dominicans out of the equation, they have had 20yrs to fix it and it's still a huge mess. Go talk with Chile, Colombia, Japan etc, offer them US$20 billion to come up with a solution, supply the infrastructure and bring in the experts to assist in rolling it out, simple :) Also offer them a subsidy based on performance over a 25yr period, including maintenance, support etc.

Bottom line, outsource it if you want it done right, because it will take a generational shift or a change in Dominican DNA for the local experts to deliver on whatever plan the other local experts conceive.

Call me a pessimist, but I have lost count since Balaguer on how many Governments are going to "finally" solve the problem.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have no doubt it will included a recommendation for a massive investment in new infrastructure funded by the Government (tax payer) and rolled out by the private sector (PLD inner sanctum).

Just adopt what they do in Colombia, it works, rather than reinvent the wheel.

Better still, take Dominicans out of the equation, they have had 20yrs to fix it and it's still a huge mess. Go talk with Chile, Colombia, Japan etc, offer them US$20 billion to come up with a solution, supply the infrastructure and bring in the experts to assist in rolling it out, simple :) Also offer them a subsidy based on performance over a 25yr period, including maintenance, support etc.

Bottom line, outsource it if you want it done right, because it will take a generational shift or a change in Dominican DNA for the local experts to deliver on whatever plan the other local experts conceive.

Call me a pessimist, but I have lost count since Balaguer on how many Governments are going to "finally" solve the problem.

is it appropriate to characterize the local actors as 'experts" if their best exertions produce what we currently have?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
The governement of DR should contact Hydro-Qu?bec as an expert. We (province of Qu?bec) have been producing electricty for the whole province for as long as I can remember... We even sell some to the U.S. when they are in deep sh*t.... And y'all know that Qu?bec is a little bit bigger than DR...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Until theft of electricity is addressed, nothing gets fixed. Theft is a huge % of all electricity produced and is THE single biggest problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The governement of DR should contact Hydro-Qu?bec as an expert. We (province of Qu?bec) have been producing electricty for the whole province for as long as I can remember... We even sell some to the U.S. when they are in deep sh*t.... And y'all know that Qu?bec is a little bit bigger than DR...

not ever going to happen. Canadian companies tend to adhere to strict anti-bribery rules , and no DR government is going to get involved in a billion dollar operation in a situation wherein bribes and commissions cannot be solicited.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
In Canada they call it patronage, and its alive and well there.....

Funny Picardo is on the bandwagon for electricity when he said that "It's not the govt responsibility to provide electricity to anyone!" This was after I quoted a senior donator for the PLD saying "Its a great day for the DR when the metro has all the electricity it needs but most of the university students need to study under a candle."

Good luck govt, you will certainly need it.........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One of my favorite topics is the electricity sector. This is something it would take 6 minutes to figure out by any rational thinking human. Of course they will take 6 months and more, and more and more.....

Please keep this thread open and let's see what his words on a website actually come to in 6 months.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Never

There you have it boys!
The gov is looking to take to task the final solution for an everlasting problem for the DR: Electricity!

There you have it boy:

Never to be resolved are:

- Electricity
- Water Supply
- Trash collection
- Crime
- Corruption

donP