HI, I am new to this Forum and to the DR

als1962

Oct 13, 2014
I arrived in the DR just a couple of weeks ago. My wife is working here on a Visa. We are looking forward to our stay and I find this DR1 website very informative. I wife and I would like to get a car so we can get around
more easily. Can anyone help in explaining the process of the purchase, the ownership transfer, new registration and insurance. It seems a lot different than my native Canada. Also, is there particular things I need look out for, as I have read that buying a vehicle here can turn into a nightmare.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Hi there, and welcome aboard als1962!! I can't help you with what you need, but there are plenty of people who will soon chime in and give you the information you need!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What nationality is your wife, and ?Working on her visa? for which country??????
Car buying, especially for a NEWBEE is difficult, and COSTLY!!!!!
If you are not a resident with a DR license your insurance is only good for a few months from your arrival date.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Welcome fellow Canuck. Heed the cautions you will hear on this site regarding the process. They are the voices of experience.

Welcome to The DR and dr1! I have found car buying here pretty easy but our first car was THE DEVIL, we brought a "mechanic" with us and I am now sure that I know more about cars than him and I know NADA!!

Maybe get in touch with gorgon on here as he has a good reputation of helping people buy the right car.

als1962

Oct 13, 2014
my wife and I are Canadian, she has been issued a 1 year work visa by the DR as she is a teacher. She has a Canadian drivers license as do I , and I also have an International permit. Does this make it difficult to purchase, register and insure a vehicle?

als1962

Oct 13, 2014
Thank you. I have a reasonable knowledge of cars and I have already sent gorgon and email. I am interested in the procedures to license and insure a vehicle as it seems complicated here

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I live in the area. Feel free to contact me via Private Message if you have any questions. Can't help on the car front though.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thank you. I have a reasonable knowledge of cars and I have already sent gorgon and email. I am interested in the procedures to license and insure a vehicle as it seems complicated here

don't forget, if you have residency and have a car in Canada that you have owned for year and is debt free.... you can bring it in at a reduced rate.

als1962

Oct 13, 2014
Bringing a car from Canada is not an option for me. We will have to buy one here. Can anyone take me through the ownership transfer, registration & licensing and insurance procedures?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
First off, I do not believe you can get a drivers license here. Your wife may be able to with her work visa, but I have not heard of anyone doing that.

Technically, you are the equivalent of a tourist (I assume you entered the country on your wife's work visa). You may legally drive for a maximum of 90 days on your Canadian license starting on the date stamped in your passport. You can't get a drivers license until you are deemed to be a resident of the DR and have the required supporting documentation - unless there is some rule for spouses of individuals in the country on a work visa.

It's probably best to have your wife inquire about driving where she works.

Assuming you can get a license some how, the first step is to go to the Cdn embassy and have them certify your current driver license as being valid. Follow the rest of the steps outline in the thread you were referred to above.

You can certainly buy a car and register it in your name here, but without a DR license and not being a long term resident, insurance will be a challenge. Buy a car that you don't mind "writing off" as a total loss in case it gets stolen, crunched or otherwise destroyed.

Driving here takes some getting used to and the last thing you want or need is an expensive vehicle to acclimatize in.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Can anyone help in explaining the process of the purchase, the ownership transfer, new registration and insurance.

I am going through the exact same process right now . I came across the article below a few weeks ago . The link to the article no longer works but luckliy I managed to find it by google cache . It was written in 2011 so I am not sure how relevant or accurate it still is . It should give you an idea anyway .

I will share my REAL Life experience soon ( if anyone is interested) . Hope this helps !

My lesson number 1 : Don't rush into anything and hang on to your money for as long as possible !

"Acquiring or selling a new or used vehicle, regardless of its model or brand, is a quite common and simple process to carry out in the Dominican Republic, for both Dominican citizens and foreigners residing in the country. The process of formalizing the sale of the vehicle differs when the seller is the distributor of the brand or dealer and when the seller is a physical person. When the dealer is selling either a used or new vehicle they are, in most cases, responsible for carrying out the required steps until having the vehicle registration under the new owner?s name in order to provide the buyer a seamless and hassle-free process. In the event that the seller is a physical person, it is very important to know the basic steps of the process and other useful tips in order to transfer the vehicle accordingly.

As mentioned before, transferring a used vehicle transfer vehicle from person to person is a fairly simple process, but it is important to be cautious of any opposition or ?intransferrabilities?, as said in the Dominican Republic, the same may have. If the vehicle you will be buying has an opposition or?intransferrability? this will be specified as such in the vehicle registration, meaning the vehicle is being used as collateral for a loan and the same cannot be transferred.

As a result of the before mentioned reasons, it is important to take into account the below mentioned tips before initiating the process: a) If you are the buyer, verify the vehicle registration?s legal status for oppositions. If this is the case, the vehicle will not be transferred until the loan has been completely paid; b) If you are the seller, immediately after the contract has been signed, make sure you go to the Dominican tax authority (Direccion General de Impuestos Internos) to make note that the vehicle is now in hands of the buyer. By doing so, if the buyer has an accident or the vehicle is stolen before the transfer of the vehicle has been completed, the seller will no longer be responsible of the damages.

The first step consists in drafting a vehicle purchase- sale agreement containing the following: complete vehicle description such as brand, year, chassis, motor number, and registration number; vehicle's sale price; and form of payment. The same must specify the seller authorizes the Dominican tax authority to proceed with the transfer of ownership of the vehicle to the buyer. Once the agreement is signed it must then be legalized by a Notary Public and before the Attorney General?s Office.

The next step is to gather the required documents to be filed at the Dominican tax authority, which include the following: a) original signed contract, b) a copy of the buyer?s Dominican ID or passport if foreigner; c) a copy of the seller?s Dominican ID or passport if foreigner; d) original vehicle registration signed by the owner of the vehicle, and e) certification of Plan Piloto. The later is a certification emitted by the National Police in approximately one week and consists in a revision to make sure the vehicle is not stolen and the chassis corresponds to the same.

Once you have compiled the before mentioned documents, you must proceed to make the corresponding tax payments. The vehicle transfer tax is the 2% of the vehicle?s sale price. It is important to mention that transfer tax to be paid will be the highest price between the sale price stated in the contract and the value set by the Dominican tax authority. This is why it is advisable to contact the Dominican tax authority in order to have the exact amount that must be paid.

By making the required tax payments and depositing the purchase- sale agreement accompanied by the documents, all of which will be deposited and registered at the Dominican tax authority, you will be receiving the new vehicle registration under your name on the same day. "

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
You may legally drive for a maximum of 90 days on your Canadian license starting on the date stamped in your passport.

I think he should post in the legal forum, asking if it is legal to restart the 90 day clock with a day (or weekend) trip to Haiti or Puerto Rico.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I only brought up driver's licenses to indicate to the OP that there is more in play here than just buying a car. How one goes about getting around the 90 restriction on a foreign license is not something I necessarily agree with doing and is not something I would suggest to a "short termer" who could someday find themselves standing before a judge explaining how the accident wasn't their fault and it doesn't really matter that they have lived here for 9 months, have no DR license or valid insurance but do own the vehicle.

The OP really needs to speak with the employer and as you suggested get legal advice about the current state of the regulations. They will then need to figure out just how important a vehicle will be for the year that they are here. If this is going to be a long term employment, maybe getting residency through the employer is the best route to go. Everything is so much easier with a cedula.

als1962

Oct 13, 2014
Thank you Cdn_Gringo and Buffness, your comments and advice are well noted. I am looking at a vehicle tonight, but will not rush in to any decisions