100,000 Haitians To Enter US Without Visas

Status
Not open for further replies.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
From the Associated Press, two days ago:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Homeland Security Department agency that oversees immigration benefits cases, said the Haitian Family Reunification Parole Program will allow Haitians who are scheduled to receive a visa within two years to move to the U.S. While they are waiting for their visas, the immigrants will be granted a work permit, USCIS said.

A limited number of family immigrant visas are issued yearly, and in some cases approved would-be immigrants from Haiti can wait more than a decade for a visa to become available.

Starting in early 2015 the State Department's National Visa Center will notify Haitians already living in the United States that their relatives may be eligible to come to the U.S. sooner. USCIS said only those people contacted by the government will be eligible for the program.

It is unclear how many immigrants may benefit from the program initially. There are about 100,000 Haitians already approved to come to the U.S. awaiting a visa.

If you're going to tell it, why not tell it right? This isn't a "slap in the face" to anyone. These People have applied for visas to join their Families already in legal residence status in the USA. This is merely a hardship exclusion, just like the ones previously granted to immigrants from Vietnam, Cambodia, Russia, Guatemala, El Salvador and dozens of other countries at one time or another that will allow these legitimate immigrants entry and work authorization privileges while awaiting the processing of their existing applications.

I'm not even going to ask why you took no particular offense to the immigrants whose countries which were given the same status previously.

May 12, 2005
From the Associated Press, two days ago:

If you're going to tell it, why not tell it right? This isn't a "slap in the face" to anyone. These People have applied for visas to join their Families already in legal residence status in the USA. This is merely a hardship exclusion, just like the ones previously granted to immigrants from Vietnam, Cambodia, Russia, Guatemala, El Salvador and dozens of other countries at one time or another that will allow these legitimate immigrants entry and work authorization privileges while awaiting the processing of their existing applications.

I'm not even going to ask why you took no particular offense to the immigrants whose countries which were given the same status previously.

But why let anyone cut the line with a wave of the pen? Why not do it for all who have been waiting for years? It's not right regardless of country. However since what happens in Haiti has fall out in DR this news is relevant and worth bringing up on DR1regardless of what happened with other countries in the past. Shake the giant racial chip off your shoulder. Or in your world view are white folk not allowed to comment on Haiti or keep DR1 readers up to date on current news?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Barry has given the green light for the world to invade.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
But why let anyone cut the line with a wave of the pen? Why not do it for all who have been waiting for years? It's not right regardless of country. However since what happens in Haiti has fall out in DR this news is relevant and worth bringing up on DR1regardless of what happened with other countries in the past. Shake the giant racial chip off your shoulder. Or in your world view are white folk not allowed to comment on Haiti or keep DR1 readers up to date on current news?
I am not the one with a "giant racial chip" here. It is normal for immigrants from selected countries to be given one time "hardship" fast track status in the immigration process. Both Bushes did it, Reagan did it, Jimmy Carter did it, even LBJ and Nixon did it. How else do you think "White Harlem", formally known as Washington Heights went from Irish to Dominican in less than a generation?

It's fine to bring up news of goings on on the island of Hispaniola but the slanted, opinionated variety should be avoided. That's my "world view". I don't care what color you are.

I never heard you complaining about Cubans or Dominicans or anyone else being "fast tracked" for residency. I'm just saying....

May 12, 2005
I never heard you complaining about Cubans or Dominicans or anyone else being "fast tracked" for residency. I'm just saying....

Have you ever bothered to ask? Imagine if you applied for your cousin from Djbouti and were 7 or 8 years of waiting and now 100,000 people just got fast tracked? The wet foot/dry foot Cuban policy has outlived it foreign relations and political use and should go by by.

May 12, 2005
I was hoping not either. But someone made a an assumption that was not close to being accurate as to the reason of my post. The story is current headlines and what happened with other countries in the past is the past. Guatemala has no effect on DR

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Have you ever bothered to ask? Imagine if you applied for your cousin from Djbouti and were 7 or 8 years of waiting and now 100,000 people just got fast tracked? The wet foot/dry foot Cuban policy has outlived it foreign relations and political use and should go by by.

Once again, the policy is based upon the scope and level of hardship as decided upon by the Dept of State, Dept of Homeland Security and the White House. They all play "favorites" and I'm glad that a few Haitian Families finally got their turn for good fortune to come their way and become reunited with their loved ones who made it out of that horror. Hopefully at some point they'll be economically strong enough to support the rebuilding of their country.

This "refugee/ asylum" thing started in 1953 with Hungarian nationals and has included just about every region of the world at some time or another, most recently including those from SW Asia (the current war region).

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/ois_rfa_fr_2013.pdf

Reading is our friend. The future is written in the chronicles of the past. Why scream "Bloody Murders!" at an additional 100,000 Haitians by the Obama Administration after remaining silent over 3 million being brought in (along with MS-13 and a whole lot of cocaine cowboy connections) by the single stroke of Reagan's magic pen? Double standard much?

A Reagan Legacy: Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants : NPR

Look how much we all benefited from that.

Reagan/Bush Amnesty Agenda an Economic Catastrophe for Minorities and Legal Immigrants?|?Robert Hardaway

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I was hoping not either. But someone made a an assumption that was not close to being accurate as to the reason of my post. The story is current headlines and what happened with other countries in the past is the past. Guatemala has no effect on DR
Iraq and Afghanistan are also "fast track" countries...in the present. The US immigration status of Haitian applicants is hardly affecting the D.R., nice try though.

Beenaway

May 27, 2013
Frank,

Apart from the millions of locals that were killed in one of the worst genocides in recent human history - who isn't an immigrant? Or the family of immigrants?

You Americans make me laugh - like 2 fleas arguing over who owns the dog.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
We are a nations of immigrants. It happens to be the Haitians turn today. ( In the news anyways) ;-)

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Wikipedia

Inflow of New Legal Permanent Residents, Top Five Sending Countries, 2013

Country

Region

Mexico 135,028
Asia 400,548
China 71,798
Americas 396,605
India 68,458
Africa 98,304
Philippines 54,446
Europe 86,556
Dominican Republic 41,311
All Immigrants 990,553

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
These were all people who were approved with family in the US. They were on the waiting list due to quota limits. What Obama did was clear the waiting list of everyone who had applied and been approved and were waiting for their name to get to the top of the list. Nothing sinister. No conspiracy.

May 12, 2005
I am not saying that there is anything sinister. But anybody not in that 100000 number who is already waiting is now going to have to wait that much longer. Imagine if you had a family member that was waiting. 5 years and was almost at the point of getting a visa and will have to wait 2
years now. 100000 is a huge number and there is only so many UCIS employees to process all those applicants

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I'm from Ottawa. Between Montreal and Ottawa there are a heck of a lot more haitians than 100,000. Even before the earthquake. It's no skin off any ones back to fast track someone who needs it. Remember where your ancestors came from. My great grand parents came over in 1887. It's not that long ago in the scheme of things. And they made a great life.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
It seems to me that what we have, namely inaction on a needed immigration reform bill, is what the Republicans want. As it stands, they get cheap, undocumented labor, which is the best kind. Illegals are not likely to stand up for their rights or complain if they are shorted in their pay or otherwise abused, as by dangerous working conditions. At the same time, the GOP claims that they need to "close the 'open' borders before they will do anything, and refuse to make any deal, which would be "amnesty", and that pleases the teabaggers.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Under this program U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will offer certain eligible Haitian beneficiaries of already approved family-based immigrant visa petitions, who are currently in Haiti, an opportunity to come to the United States up to approximately two years before their immigrant visa priority dates become current.

What this essentially means, is that, say, your visa priority date is may 08, then one would have had to submitted the visa app before that date. This entails a wait of approx six years. Under the new program, the wait will be shortened by two years, if I am to understand correctly. By that time, I'll be well north of here, and only have rednecks do deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.