Las Galeras with our little baby

mucha79

Oct 19, 2014
Hi there,

Even though I gathered some info from different people I would like some confirmation from Las Galeras experts on DR1. We are planning to go to LG with 1 year old boy.
My question would be about safety in Las Galeras when getting about as a family and about shops and restaurants available as we will be staying on self catering basis. Could you advise how much roughly should we prepare for food per day.

Thanks in advance

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
First, why Las Galeras? This is very isolated and this time of year probably very quiet. You can google Las Galeras to view restaurants but I don't think you will find a large selection. Also try the on line tourist guide for the Samana Peninsula at the top of the Northeast Thread. The cost of food per day obviously depends on your needs. I would figure at least, conservatively, $35 a day for a very basic diet if you are cooking at home. That includes local products which are reasonable. Anything you find in the supermarket that is imported will be on the high side of pricing.

tdalasgaleras

Jan 8, 2015
Las Galeras

First, why Las Galeras? This is very isolated and this time of year probably very quiet. You can google Las Galeras to view restaurants but I don't think you will find a large selection. Also try the on line tourist guide for the Samana Peninsula at the top of the Northeast Thread. The cost of food per day obviously depends on your needs. I would figure at least, conservatively, $35 a day for a very basic diet if you are cooking at home. That includes local products which are reasonable. Anything you find in the supermarket that is imported will be on the high side of pricing.

We may not have a large selection of restaurants but we do have the following notable ones, El Monte Azul, End Of The Road, Sabors del Mar, Chez Denise, Luana y Vittorios, Cafe Roma, L;Aventura, El Cabito, Villa Serena, Pequeno Rfugio, Todo Blanco, Boulangerie Marseilles, Noda de Pirata, Gambero Rossy, plus Dominican ones, Rossy, Posiedon Isabella (on Playita beaach), All open during the time the family were here. I do hope you enjoyed your visit to Las Galeras

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
If you're going to eat at La Playita I recommend not going to the restaurant within the building and going to the outdoor shack/restaurant that is to the far left upon entering the beach.

The food is delicious, the prices are great. My wife had a 3 pound lobster and I think it was RD$700 for that and the side dish. I got fish and chicken and the chicken was seasoned perfectly.

While we were there (end of Nov.) End of The Road was closed, don't know if that is still the case.

El Monte Azul is delicious and so is El Cabito. They both are not easy to get to though and you will need a truck/SUV.

Safety really isn't an issue there (at least it wasn't during our trip), we never felt threatened or in danger.

If you have a vehicle make sure to fill up in Samana, there is no gas station beyond Samana City.

There are two main colmados/markets in Las Galeras which will give you most of what you need as far as food.

Per day for the 3 of you, if you are savvy you could spend around $25 cooking for yourselves.

Be careful driving up there, there are speed bumps every few miles and no warning signs of them.