French Man Shot In LT

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting. nothing was stolen because there was no time? or because the attackers were there only to shoot/kill?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
never liked that area.. well, I like it, I mean it is beautiful, but a bit creepy feeling. I knew a lovely couple who built their retirement home there and just did not do it right, no bars, no big wall.. and it got broken into time and time again. The area is just far enough away from everywhere but right next to two big roads, easy in, easy out... and the plots are big, houses far apart.

When you look around LT, you see that lots of the orginal houses, and even some of the newer ones, are built like medieval fortresses, with very high walls that you cannot see over. Seemed odd at first but I came to understand it more after I lived there.

Sounds like the guy will make it. That is good news.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
What does LT mean?
I live in New Orleans, and we average at least one murder a day plus numerous armed robberies, muggings, and drunk drivers destroying traffic lights, etc.
Consider yourselves lucky.

EddieC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Thanks,
I still consider DR one of the safest islands in the Caribbean.
**** happens.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
can dogs bark if they are wearing a muzzle? can they eat? any dog owners know this?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Does anyone on the forum personally know Chic? If so, please PM me. I gots a ton of questions.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
"I live in New Orleans, and we average at least one murder a day plus numerous armed robberies, muggings, and drunk drivers destroying traffic lights, etc."

Comparing crimes of a town of approximately 40,000 to a city of approximately 378,000 makes perfect sense (to some). If you use a factor of 10, you would probably be more accurate in your comparison.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
can dogs bark if they are wearing a muzzle? can they eat? any dog owners know this?

they can not bite and depending on the type they can not bark eat or drink. Putting a muzzle on a protection dog is like removing the firing pin from your firearm......... Dogs can be trained to be poison proof, all our police service dogs are poison proofed, meaning they will only take food or treats from the hand of their trainers. My buddy is a retired RCMP police dog trainer and handler with 18 years experience. I am trying to convince him to come down when I do in the winter and train up up some property and personal protection dogs. So far he is considering it.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Santiagodude,
You have a strange sense of sarcasm.
If you don't live in the DR, one may not be familiar with the acronyms used there. If I used the acronym "H" would you know what city in Louisiana I was referring to?
I doubt it.

Your crime comparison, per capita, is illogical since crime is usually considered important if you are a victim. The less the occurrence, the better you are no matter how many people live there.

The DR is a rather unique place in that it offers a relaxed lifestyle and a rather diverse climate, coupled with unique divergence of income. I'll bet the crime rate in Casa de Campo is lower that say Christo Rey or San Carlos.
If an ex-patriot can bring in the resources to live in (CdC) part time, crime should not be a real factor. Correct?
DR crime is probably concentrated in heavily populated areas like SD, where many lower income Dominicans are scratching for existence. This is the case all over the World, not just the DR. Those that have financial resources can put themselves where they feel safe.

By the way, I'm also looking at other venues like the BVI's where there is very little crime at all. After reading the negativism on this forum, perhaps that is a better choice.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Santiagodude,
You have a strange sense of sarcasm.
If you don't live in the DR, one may not be familiar with the acronyms used there. If I used the acronym "H" would you know what city in Louisiana I was referring to?
I doubt it.

Your crime comparison, per capita, is illogical since crime is usually considered important if you are a victim. The less the occurrence, the better you are no matter how many people live there.

The DR is a rather unique place in that it offers a relaxed lifestyle and a rather diverse climate, coupled with unique divergence of income. I'll bet the crime rate in Casa de Campo is lower that say Christo Rey or San Carlos.
If an ex-patriot can bring in the resources to live in (CdC) part time, crime should not be a real factor. Correct?
DR crime is probably concentrated in heavily populated areas like SD, where many lower income Dominicans are scratching for existence. This is the case all over the World, not just the DR. Those that have financial resources can put themselves where they feel safe.

By the way, I'm also looking at other venues like the BVI's where there is very little crime at all. After reading the negativism on this forum, perhaps that is a better choice.

Netherland Antilles doesn't even have stat's on crime against ex patriots it happens so infrequently.

The D.R. is the South Bronx of the Caribbean. Of course that's where the best partying is going on.

The "negativism" is merely realism. Safe is as safe does pretty much anywhere on the planet.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
training dogs to not eat poisoned food is very difficult. You may think you have them trained as they will not eat with you present but what happens at 2 am when they are alone is different. The average mutt is not a higly trained service dog. Dogs by themselves have poor impulse control. Now that i think of it I have poor impulse control when I find myself alone in the DR. Guess I am kinda dog like at times.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
If Ramfis Jr. is anything like his Abuelo, perhaps the crime situation will be drastically improved in the DR.
Just a thought.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Netherland Antilles doesn't even have stat's on crime against ex patriots it happens so infrequently.

The D.R. is the South Bronx of the Caribbean. Of course that's where the best partying is going on.

The "negativism" is merely realism. Safe is as safe does pretty much anywhere on the planet.

Years ago yes - these days the term 'atraco' is just about the second most used word on Curacao. Including expats.

Economical woes bring out the worst in people everywhere :)

The other islands are still way down on crime against ex-paxts that is true.