A few days in Samana?

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I posted elsewhere that I'll be vacationing in the DR in a few weeks. I'm trying to finalize my plans. To reiterate from the other post, I've been to the DR a number of times but the places I visited are limited. I will have 8 days in the DR. I'll be flying to SDQ to meet a friend. The plan is to stay one night and then off to Jarabacoa via bus. At first, I was gonna stay there for my entire vacation, but I think we'd get bored.

Is it feasible to travel to Samana from Jaracaboa by public transportation? Is the entire peninsula touristy and expensive? I don't like either, haha. My hotel budget is about $100 and we'd stay 2 or 3 nights. I would also prefer not to be surrounded by tourists. Then back to SDQ. Is this too much to fit in?

If it's feasible, I'd appreciate recommendations and advice.

Thanks
Glenn

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Bump! :)

Would be interested to get some tips reg. accommodation without being surrounded by tourists at the same budget +/- too...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are buses direct from SD to Samana. If you are going there it might be easier/cheaper to go there by bus from SD first then head back to any other places that is closer to SD after you finish in Samana towards the end of your stay so that you are closer to the airport when it comes time to leave.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I posted elsewhere that I'll be vacationing in the DR in a few weeks. I'm trying to finalize my plans. To reiterate from the other post, I've been to the DR a number of times but the places I visited are limited. I will have 8 days in the DR. I'll be flying to SDQ to meet a friend. The plan is to stay one night and then off to Jarabacoa via bus. At first, I was gonna stay there for my entire vacation, but I think we'd get bored.

Is it feasible to travel to Samana from Jaracaboa by public transportation? Is the entire peninsula touristy and expensive? I don't like either, haha. My hotel budget is about $100 and we'd stay 2 or 3 nights. I would also prefer not to be surrounded by tourists. Then back to SDQ. Is this too much to fit in?

If it's feasible, I'd appreciate recommendations and advice.

Thanks
Glenn

When you say you want to go to Samana are you talking about the Samana Peninsula or Samana City? If you go to the Samana Peninsula you are better off going to Las Terrenas. Hotel budget of $100? Is that per night. I hope so. You won't find much for $30 per night. Public transportation from Jaracaboa to the Samana Peninsula is possible but you would have to probably take a number of buses. You are probably better off leaving from Santo Domingo and going directly to the Samana Peninsula. There is a bus that goes directly to Las Terrenas. The company is Tranporte Las Terrenas. I would suggest checking out Hotel Paseo in Las Terrenas.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Visiting Saman?

2 or 3 days in Saman? is not that much.
You need to make a choice and I'd recommend LT as well.
It is not touristy at the moment and there are small hotels for around 50$/night/2 pax.

donP
near Las Terrenas

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hotel casa mar del Neptunia in LT is 2000 pesos per night (including breakfast), centrally located, 2 min from the beach and everything else. Stayed there and have friends who did, very nice and clean (Canadian owners).

There is someone on DR1 who has a place on this forum (whom I can't recall) who has rooms even cheaper. The place has been refurbished and looks very good and it s on Playa Ballenas.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hotel casa mar del Neptunia in LT is 2000 pesos per night (including breakfast), centrally located, 2 min from the beach and everything else. Stayed there and have friends who did, very nice and clean (Canadian owners).

There is someone on DR1 who has a place on this forum (whom I can't recall) who has rooms even cheaper. The place has been refurbished and looks very good and it s on Playa Ballenas.

Do you know of anything like for a couple for a weekend without being surrounded by whatever? ;)

Asking the insiders before starting a search on tripadvisor...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The member is Stefan1983 and his place is Casa Delfin. I haven't stayed there but It looks very nice and I like the location.

Good luck !

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Do you know of anything like for a couple for a weekend without being surrounded by whatever? ;)

Asking the insiders before starting a search on tripadvisor...

I think Casa del mar Neptunia should be fine for a couple since they are casitas.

In the same street, I have also stayed at el torcido: El Torcido Bed & Breakfast (Las Terrenas, Samana, Dominican Republic) - B&B Reviews - TripAdvisor. There are casitas as well and even more quiet.

Super clean,more private only 3 stand alone (;) ) casitas, british owners, around 40 USD a night if I remember well.

Voila !!

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for all the responses.

To respond to one post, my hotel budget is about $100/night.

To another, I'm talking about the entire peninsula.

I don't know all that much about the area though, from what I read, the primary attraction is the beach. I'm all for beaches, but not for a week. I get bored silly. Hence, my other consideration, actually the main consideration, Jarabacoa.

Is there much to do at Samana other than the beach and beach things? If not, I can see 2 nights there, maybe 3.

I don't want to spend lots of time in buses and traveling. It sounds like a hassle getting to or from Samana and Jarabacoa. If a private car is available, I can see that if it's fairly reasonable.

Thanks!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
...errm...

Anything more upscale? :nervous: A bit? max. 100 US/night?

Sorry, I thought 100 USD was the budget for 2-3 nights, hence my answer. :classic: I stay in cheap hotels on quick trip, but anything longer, I rent a villa/apartment, so I am not very good with that price range though.

In any case, there are plenty of them in that budget. Alisei is a local favorite and I like the location and grounds.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you'll find LT more accessible than Jarabacoa, I think.

LT should be more Euro than Jarabacoa..... you'll find food differences

The Samana peninsula is 'beachy'..... maybe more than you want
very scenic.....

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
If you dont like the beach much just stay central-North. Go from SD to Bonao-La Vega- Santiago-Moca and Jarabacoa and Costanza. You will be busy the 8 days! (enough hiking to do and visit local things)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for all the responses.

To respond to one post, my hotel budget is about $100/night.

To another, I'm talking about the entire peninsula.

I don't know all that much about the area though, from what I read, the primary attraction is the beach. I'm all for beaches, but not for a week. I get bored silly. Hence, my other consideration, actually the main consideration, Jarabacoa.

Is there much to do at Samana other than the beach and beach things? If not, I can see 2 nights there, maybe 3.

I don't want to spend lots of time in buses and traveling. It sounds like a hassle getting to or from Samana and Jarabacoa. If a private car is available, I can see that if it's fairly reasonable.

Thanks!

A private car driving you from Jarabacoa to the Samana Peninsula will not be reasonable. From Las Terrenas there are many tours. You can horseback into Limon Falls, Zip line near Playa Valle(outside of Samana City), visit the Taino Museum or ride ATVs. Check out the Samana Peninsula tourist guide at the top of the Northeast thread. This will give you better info.