Observation from the Frontier : Bahoruco is not Pedernales !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Being on the Frontier and getting positive news stories written about the area is hard enough without DR1 being unable to write a correct headline for its daily report. Today, in their second story, they HEADLINED that the President was in Pedernales to open a new Larimar training school and museum. I could have sworn I saw him in Bahoruco for this event and I am sure that is EXACTLY what the news article DR1 showed as a link to their snippet reported. I am sure it was not that hard to translate the lead in correctly.

Larimar is a true treasure of the Republica Dominicana and the new school and museum are considered to be a major tourism asset to our area. We are looking forward to the day when the Frontier will have its proper place in the tourism discussions for our country and could do without someone telling the tourist to go to Pedernales to see the school and museum. If DR1 wanted to promote Bahia de Las Aguilas, another treasure of the Frontier, they should have done so in a separate article.

enough said,

KFrancisco de Cabral

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
It's probably a geographic association thing. For example, when I say my office is in Suwanee, Georgia peoples eyes glaze over. But, when I say it's in Atlanta then people immediately know where in the US I'm located. Probably something similar. Bahoruco? Where the heck is that?! :)

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
How so ?? If we follow that logic than it would be Bahoruco is in Barahona not Pedernales which is in a totally different province, Pedernales.

You can have Suwanee, Buford, Marietta, Buckhead all be associated with Atlanta but not Alabama, the adjacent state like Pedernales is to Barahona. Should we tell folks that Bahia de Las Aguilas is in Barahona when it isn't...

My comment was on the misleading translation of the text for the headline. If you report on a subject it helps if you have a knowledge of the subject. Larimar is mined near Baroruco, in the province of Barahona, and the new school and museum is in Baroruco not Pedernales, the city or province !

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks for the correction.

Why don't you email us when you see an error, it's much easier than a big long diatribe on the board.

Closed.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
We appreciate the observation. Yes, the larimar mine is in Bahoruco. The slip came because touristically the region is marketed as Barahona-Pedernales. Bahia de las Aguilas in Pedernales is the big draw. We will make the correction in the archived files. Good for Bahoruco!

Correction made online and in the archived files.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.