Looking for assistance on finding charities for a young woman with cancer

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hello,

Unfortunately I am posting this because my 24 year old cousin (Yera Nunez), was diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma about 3 months ago and has recently started chemotherapy here in Santiago at the Instituto Oncologico. I grew up quite close to her and she has a 4 year old daughter that has just begun colegio in La Vega. She has been traveling back and forth to Santiago about 4 times a week with her visits with Dr. Edward Valdez who is an oncologist at Centro Medico Cibao. The reason I am posting this is because I have chosen to take a part in helping Yera financially throughout her treatment as best I can. We have done our best to find generic alternatives for some of her medications which has been a huge help (Prednisone 50mg generic is 5 pesos a pill while the brand name was 143 pesos per pill, it's robbing the dying honestly), but some of the medications that she is required to take are out of the family's budget and it's hard to decide which are priorities in some cases (Some patients actually have to choose between which medications they can afford and which are out of reach, this is what happens when laboratories place huge premiums on medications and people can't afford them).

I want to reiterate I am not posting this for any type of direct financial help or donations, I wouldn't even want to get into that sort of thing. What I am looking for is foundations or charities in the DR that can help a young single mother that is diagnosed with cancer with any of the associated costs that chemotherapy and the medications include. For example, one series of injections that she was prescribed to raise your red blood cell count was 10,000 pesos per injection and it's a series of 12 injections. I simply can't afford to help her to this level, and I damn sure wish I could.

Well, a little background about why I care so much.. I lost my brother to non hodgkin's lymphoma in 2004 and I actually was such a moron back then that when he called me to say goodbye one last time I refused to talk to him.. I was 18 and have regretted that for quite some time. I lost my sister in April of this year and she was actually found to have ovarian and small cell neoplasms in her intestine so it's quite personal. I hate cancer and recently I really wish I would have finished medical school instead of dropping out my last year so I could make a more hands on approach to help. As most on DR1 and in Santiago who know me, I am not one to go about sharing my emotions or asking for other people's assistance, but in this case it could literally be life or death for her as I have seen the effects of people who aren't able to put together the money for overpriced medications that there are no more reasonably priced alternatives for.

In conclusion, if anyone has any suggestions for charities/foundations/government agencies who might be able to take a look at my cousin's situation, I would gladly appreciate it and hope everyone has a fine Saturday.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You could try contacting the big Drug Companies in the U. S. They all have programs for folks who can't afford medicine. Worth a try.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Please PM me. I have been through this several times for various people in need in Puerto Plata.

Getting help from US drug companies is tricky - most often they won't help if the patient is not in the US. There is one medication, however, that is available through a foundation. We had a young man who needed it for a blood cancer. After some research, we were able to get the company to donate through the foundation. He went on to receive a stem cell transplant and is doing well now.

I have some other suggestions too, but would prefer to keep them off the thread.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
For example, one series of injections that she was prescribed to raise your red blood cell count was 10,000 pesos per injection and it's a series of 12 injections. .

Do you know the name of that one?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Crowdfunding

Hello,

Unfortunately I am posting this because my 24 year old cousin (Yera Nunez), was diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma about 3 months ago and has recently started chemotherapy here in Santiago at the Instituto Oncologico. I grew up quite close to her and she has a 4 year old daughter that has just begun colegio in La Vega. She has been traveling back and forth to Santiago about 4 times a week with her visits with Dr. Edward Valdez who is an oncologist at Centro Medico Cibao. The reason I am posting this is because I have chosen to take a part in helping Yera financially throughout her treatment as best I can. We have done our best to find generic alternatives for some of her medications which has been a huge help (Prednisone 50mg generic is 5 pesos a pill while the brand name was 143 pesos per pill, it's robbing the dying honestly), but some of the medications that she is required to take are out of the family's budget and it's hard to decide which are priorities in some cases (Some patients actually have to choose between which medications they can afford and which are out of reach, this is what happens when laboratories place huge premiums on medications and people can't afford them).

I want to reiterate I am not posting this for any type of direct financial help or donations, I wouldn't even want to get into that sort of thing. What I am looking for is foundations or charities in the DR that can help a young single mother that is diagnosed with cancer with any of the associated costs that chemotherapy and the medications include. For example, one series of injections that she was prescribed to raise your red blood cell count was 10,000 pesos per injection and it's a series of 12 injections. I simply can't afford to help her to this level, and I damn sure wish I could.

Well, a little background about why I care so much.. I lost my brother to non hodgkin's lymphoma in 2004 and I actually was such a moron back then that when he called me to say goodbye one last time I refused to talk to him.. I was 18 and have regretted that for quite some time. I lost my sister in April of this year and she was actually found to have ovarian and small cell neoplasms in her intestine so it's quite personal. I hate cancer and recently I really wish I would have finished medical school instead of dropping out my last year so I could make a more hands on approach to help. As most on DR1 and in Santiago who know me, I am not one to go about sharing my emotions or asking for other people's assistance, but in this case it could literally be life or death for her as I have seen the effects of people who aren't able to put together the money for overpriced medications that there are no more reasonably priced alternatives for.

In conclusion, if anyone has any suggestions for charities/foundations/government agencies who might be able to take a look at my cousin's situation, I would gladly appreciate it and hope everyone has a fine Saturday.

There are many crowdfunding sites that may be of help. Google it for the specific niche and see what you get! Here is one example GiveForward: The #1 Way to Raise Money for a Loved One
Good luck

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Part of the problem with the prescriptions is that the doctors write in chickenscratch, it looks something like ecofass though.

LOL, I agree about the chickenscratch handwriting. My late husband was a physician and I remember how long it took me to read the very first letter he ever wrote to me.

Please let me know also about the prescriptions. I have some resource people I can tap to try to locate reduced price ones.

Another thought might be to investigate the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society? - Official Website

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my brother died of it..... takes about 8 yrs (sorry to say) but there is a lot of time in remission.

he won the Ontario Mid-Amateur Golf Championship carrying it... in treatment actually.

la Profe is your contact..... don't pass up her offer

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I do know that the HOMS Center for Cancer has a foundation set up to help those that need it pay for their cancer treatment. It may be worth a visit there to look into it and possibly continue treatment with them....tom

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I'm so sorry about your relative.
I once knew a girl whose mom received help from the Patronato Contra el Cancer. I understand that they're like Rehabilitaci?n, and that you can find an office in every province. Hope you can get her some help!