Food and Fun

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I'll be traveling with my wife and daughter to Las Galeras at the end of November, wonder what you guys recommend?

I'm trying to get to Playa Rincon, Playa Fronton, La Playita, El Cabito Restaurant, El Aquario Natural, Parque Los Haitises, not sure what else to do besides that. We'll be there for 4 days and I want to make it a trip to remember.

We love good food, the wife really loves seafood, the kid is more into chicken fingers (lol), I like anything with a good taste. What are some restaurants that the locals would eat at?

Some sites/activities you'd recommend? I'd love to zipline but it's a bit beyond our budget and I think my daughter would be too afraid. Horseback riding would be great too but I see it all for mostly US$75/pp which is too expensive for me.

I'm working with around US$400 for the four days if that helps.

Thanks!

edit:
I don't mind traveling to Las Terrenas or Samana City if there is something we should visit there.

mustang88

Jun 19, 2010
if you walk down the main street to the ocean....beach....and turn right and walk along the beach road, (towards grand paradise samana)....after about 10 mins. you will find a horseback riding ranchero.....myself and my 12 year old rrented horses with two guides ......1 and a half hour trip....about 50 bucks if i remember correctly..............these guys were very good, we were very poor riders, and they took care of us very well..............i love samana, easily the most scenic part of the d.r. that i have been to.......respectfully, steve

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
@mustang

Do you recall the name? I try to find it when I'm there, that's a much more reasonable price than what I've been seeing.

@SKY

Oh, wow! They come highly recommended, I'll have to go there as we will have sturdy vehicle. Have you eaten there? It seems like everything on the menu is delicious :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would not recommend a restaurant that I have not tried myself. The food is excellent. Pierre is a very experienced chef from France. Highly recommended.

But you will be cursing me on the way up there. That I promise.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Read about Samana here…

In the guide we suggest you stay at different hotels in Samana City, Las Galeras and Las Terrenas.
This is a big peninsula and that way you can truly enjoy what the area has to offer and not spend so much time on the roads.

http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
@william

I'll most likely be doing that. My wife is a lobster fanatic (I feel bad for my wallet) so I'll be getting her some very fresh lobster while at the beach :)

@Dolores

I looked at the guide before posting this topic, it gave me some good tips! I think my daughter would really like the whale museum but I think it's closed until January :(

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In Las Galeras… do not miss the Kaio Aquarium off the beach at the Grand Paradise Resort. You do not have to enter by way of the resort… just take the road that borders the ocean in Las Galeras, it will lead you to the back entrance. Say you read about it in the guide to Dominga, and she will be all smiles. Tel 809 883-8836. Is a great deal at RD$500 per person.
Visit La Playita and go for lunch there with Isabella right on the beach. Great prices for fresh fish. Crowded on peak times of weekend, but rest of the time is great. Tel 829-970-3688
EcoCampo La Sangria is an eco-lodge on the way to Playa Rincon, run by local people that know it all in town. Tel 829 814-4689.

Best to rent a car to get around.

On the way, check out the Taino Park. Is worth the visit. Tickets: US$15, probably children are less or free. They have a good crafts store.

If you can afford the luxury, take a boat trip to Los Haitises. Best if it includes lunch at Paraiso Cano Hondo. Tel 809 248-5995.

If you will be traveling on your own here, buy at least a cheap phone with local sim. Cost about US$30 with minutes plan.

mustang88

Jun 19, 2010
sorry, do not remember the name of the place, but you cant miss it....they were sell haitian art out front, and sold me a cold cervesa after i was done the ordeal...............good guys.