Have fun (and give me an advice)

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
I bought a car. A used one. A day later I got into an accident in La Romana. I just felt asleep behind the wheel. It was totally my fault. Another car got minor damages. My car.... two left doors to be replaced. Well, I didn't like the car anyway. (Don't ask me why I bought it then. This is another funny story). We went to AMET, an officer wrote a report. Nothing special.
Now we need to go to some court or something. As I've been told - this is something similar to driving violation court. The judge (?) is supposed to say "the accident is your fault). Could anyone enlight me about the procedure? I am supposed to be in the clear (insurance, license, last entry in the country is less than 30 days and so on). I just want to make sure that I will not miss some appearance or forget about some X pesos fine. Any advice will be appreciated.
My general goal is to reduce the hassle. I don't really care about expenses. If I can hire a lawyer that will do all the leg work for me - I'd rather to have that.

And the picture - just for your entertainment
jeep.jpg

a little addendum is in another topic.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I bought a car. A used one. A day later I got into an accident in La Romana. I just felt asleep behind the wheel. It was totally my fault. Another car got minor damages. My car.... two left doors to be replaced. Well, I didn't like the car anyway. (Don't ask me why I bought it then. This is another funny story). We went to AMET, an officer wrote a report. Nothing special.
Now we need to go to some court or something. As I've been told - this is something similar to driving violation court. The judge (?) is supposed to say "the accident is your fault). Could anyone enlight me about the procedure? I am supposed to be in the clear (insurance, license, last entry in the country is less than 30 days and so on). I just want to make sure that I will not miss some appearance or forget about some X pesos fine. Any advice will be appreciated.
My general goal is to reduce the hassle. I don't really care about expenses. If I can hire a lawyer that will do all the leg work for me - I'd rather to have that.

And the picture - just for your entertainment
jeep.jpg

can you send a photo that is not so close up, so i can see the actual extent of the damage? you might be looking at more damage than just 2 doors.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my advice is:
learn to resize photos before posting,
don't drive if you are not alert, you could have killed someone.

30w2ds5.jpg

advice number 3:
jeep patriot? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
the gorgon, there is nothing to look at. Two right doors are to be replaced. That's it.
Oh, good bodyshop near Casa de Campo would bee nice, too.

dv8, the cheapest one :) Btw, I see no picture in my post. I see it as a link. Do you see it as an embedded picture?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can see your picture and it is so huge that literally you can only see a door handle. i have resized the photo for you, hopefully you can see that one.
further than that i cannot help but i hope you get things sorted. patriot is cheap because it is crap and has poor resale value. focus on japanese/korean brands next time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Contact your insurance company and tell them what happened and that you have to go to court. They should send a lawyer to represent you. I have had a similar situation and the insurance company got me off the hook. Mine was a lot worse.

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
well, actually this is a Legal section. I hoped to get some advice on the legal aspect of the procedure :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think most of people here get out of car accident issues without ever going to court. out of curiosity i asked miesposo about this and in 20 years of daily driving in DR (and few accidents) he was in court only once but it was so long ago he could not remember how it went. i would strongly suggest reaching out to your insurance company and a lawyer, maybe the one who handled the sale.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
If no one has died or been injured as a result from the accident, you've acknowledged it's your fault, and told the other person that you're going to pay, then there's usually no reason to go to court.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Maybe you should go get whatever you agree to legalized from a judge, evidence it has been resolved. Don't no matter what take anyones word for it, not your lawyer, not the other party, no one. They will all fleece you given half the chance.