Bugs making sawdust out of my bed

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I have a wooden bed frame. Something is depositing a fine sawdust onto the floor.
I am not enjoying sweeping it up every day.
I don't like the idea of sharing my bed with an alien life form (except for my wife).
I don't like the idea of the bed collapsing when I am in it.

What is causing it.
and (more importantly)....

How do I stop it!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Is the dust small sphere like???
I have the same problem on a untreated wooden table. I will find u the spanish name.
Apparently they only go for soft wood and not stuff like caoba......

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Ya..... small spheres, all the same size. I looks like a softwood too.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Ok, so my other half has intervened.
They are called " cacoma" and only eat pino (??) wood. Which is why it is not used for furniture.
There is no worthwhile treatment. Which is also why pino is not used.
I have never seen the cacoma, neither has anyone else I know. They say it lives inside the wood and never comes out.....

Piece of furniture needs thrown out if u have other stuff made out of same wood, before it spreads....

Please note this is campo talk..... nothing scientific, nothing researched.

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
Fumigate immediately!!

I just paid $2,000 US to have an entire entry door, all the kitchen cabinets and a window replaced. DRs version of termites got me. Went down last month to inspect the work only to find that the rear door and more windows are impacted. Now replacing ALL the wooden windows throughout and the rear door. I guess I didn't need that $3,000 US.

Don't know if this is your issue, but cheaper to treat than replace. Good luck.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Fumigate immediately!!

I just paid $2,000 US to have an entire entry door, all the kitchen cabinets and a window replaced. DRs version of termites got me. Went down last month to inspect the work only to find that the rear door and more windows are impacted. Now replacing ALL the wooden windows throughout and the rear door. I guess I didn't need that $3,000 US.

Don't know if this is your issue, but cheaper to treat than replace. Good luck.

If it is small spherical dust ( black and brown ) as the Op said, it is not termites. Diffrent problem. ( termites are a real problem, cacoma are less of a problem..... ). My wooden table has had cacoma for over 2 years, has hundreds of books on it and has not structally failed.
Annoying because of the mess that needs rgurlary cleaned up, but not lofe threatning........ there again I domt sleep on the book shelf....:classic:

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I am in a rental, so I am not spending big money to solve this.

It appears all the bedroom furniture is Pine.

It sound like the best solution is to “sweep it under the carpet” and rent elsewhere next Winter.

Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
there is a fix... we get them and our people expel them...

any Dominican worth his salt can deal with them.

common problem, our girl watches for them

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Or it could be caused by termites. Either way it needs to be treated or the problem will persist.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
termites are different....
this creates a little pile of sawdust-like waste....

and you NEVER see them...
a bit like me...... hahaha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I am in a rental, so I am not spending big money to solve this.

in this case just forget about that, it's not even worth investing money in fumigating. it's not like them worms will bore into your brain at night.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
There is a insect that eats the wood. The best fix is fire. The last thing the owner needs is other furniture getting destroyed from the insect spreading, and it will spread. I would do the right thing and tell the owner or property manager asap.

Aug 6, 2006
There is a insect that eats the wood. The best remidity

There is surely a way to kill bugs living in wood. They must have water or moisture to survive. Poison the water, and they will die.

This is much easier than dealing with a house. I would ask someone that has experience with bugs and insecticide.

Here is a link to the sort of poison needed:

How do I Kill Woodworm

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
There is a biodegradable spray you can buy "Gusano de la Madera" and its good for calcoma, I have the spray in my hands right now.... and have used it and its seems to work....32 onz is about 250 pesos....any ferreteria or I got mine at Yanets

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
There is surely a way to kill bugs living in wood. They must have water or moisture to survive. Poison the water, and they will die.

This is much easier than dealing with a house. I would ask someone that has experience with bugs and insecticide.

Here is a link to the sort of poison needed:

How do I Kill Woodworm
This is a perfect example , of why you shouldn't google every issue so you can have an answer to every thread. Your giving bad advice.
To the o.p, if the owner doesn't get a handle on this the insect it will spread to other furniture. Don't waste time trying to cut off the water supply ( really xo Hahah ) or biodegradable products. Remove the infected furniture and cut your losses.

Aug 6, 2006
Again, I said ASK someone with experience in insecticide, didn't I?
People I know have brought carvings back from Haiti that have had been infested with bugs, and they can be killed with insecticide. Of course, a lot of people just throw them away.

I had termites eat my front door, and I bought a new door made of Honduras mahogany and I painted it with an insecticide paint, perhaps ten coats, until a whole quart was used up, and then painted it with urethane.. I think the problem was termites in that case, but that was 20 years ago and there is still nothing living in that door.

Another poster, hammerdown, also recommended a specific treatment. Permethrin is the active ingredient, it seems.I do not know what is in the product recommended, or whether permethrin is biodegradable.

Getting rid of the furniture will surely be effective.