Create tattoo Shop in DR

Lilia

Nov 2, 2014
Hello,

My husband is Dominican tattooist in France (I'm french, sorry for my english :rolleyes:)
So we have the idea to open a tattoo shop in DR and offer other services in addition to tattoos.
He followed a hygiene training in France so it would be a shop with the european standard of hygiene
We believe that the best places would be punta cana or santo domingo ...

We saw that tattoos were beginning to grow in DR

What do you think of this kind of business ?
your opinions ?

thank you :classic:

May 29, 2006
There have been a couple foreign owned hygienic shops that cater to tourists that have mostly come and gone, but tattoos are still uncommon and frowned upon, esp among women unless they are prostitutes~ then they are typically crappy, one color and done with re-used needles or by hand. It could maybe be done as a hobby business, but I don't think it's sustainable as a store front or as a sole means of income. In the tropics, infection is a real concern for fresh tattoos. And even with new needles each time, most will fear HIV infection.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen few threads on dr1 about starting a tattoo shop. i do not think they came to fruition which should answer your question, really.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do not come to the DR to open a business and expect to make money. A tattoo business is an especially bad idea unless you just want to have a hobby during retirement.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
6 tattoo shops on El Conde alone in Santo Domingo.

Most of dr1'ers are old peeps not knowing about the tat business or cliental . More and more younger Doms are getting and wanting tats. Tourists always seem to want to get tats on their hot vacay's, not really sure why since you have to keep out of the sun and water after but whatever.

If your husband is a REALLY good artist he could do ok but I think it would be better to come here first and maybe try the guest artist thing and get connections and see for yourself.
So many businesses tank here it is scary and there are MANY hidden costs that pop up all the time.

What are these other services that you want to provide? Piercings or what?

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I believe the tattoo idea could work in a tourist area like Cabarete...... not so sure about the capital.
Some crazy tourists may like to make a memorial to their wild time in the DR. Would focus on the tourist market. Temporary tattoo guys used to swarm the beaches but not so sure anymore.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe the tattoo idea could work in a tourist area like Cabarete...... not so sure about the capital.
Some crazy tourists may like to make a memorial to their wild time in the DR. Would focus on the tourist market. Temporary tattoo guys used to swarm the beaches but not so sure anymore.

Already is one in Cabarete.

Aug 6, 2006
Temporary tattoos are ever so much better an idea.

Over the years, the ink tends to squish about under the skin, and what once was a crisp illustration gradually morphs into something resembling a USDA Meat stamp.

And what looked like a plucky six inch tall Tweety bird with an attitude on a twenty year old turns into a really good reason to dress modestly forty years later.

But of course, it is a matter of taste. People have the right to illustrate their bodies as they see fit.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Tattoos are big business in DR now, very common around the younger generations. But as there is a tattoo boom now this means there are shops springing up all over the place. There are some decent tattooists kicking about, but so many now that you'd struggle to get in on it. they are charging roughly RD1000-1500 per hour (max), and so you can see the profit is not what you'd expect elsewhere. With your material imports, rent (in a respectable area), set up costs, advertising I don't think you could do it. You could make a living, but you'll not make a good living, certainly not in Punta Cana, and in the Capital you'd have too much competition and become a target.

Lilia

Nov 2, 2014
Thank you all for your responses

What are these other services that you want to provide? Piercings or what?

Harleysrock yes sell but we also thought about esthetic services (permanent makeup, eyelash extension etc ... but it also depends on the city and the market .. we have to go and see

Lilia

Nov 2, 2014
.... or Las Terrenas?
There is at least one (French) tattoo shop already.
I do not know how well it is doing, though.

donP

I've never been there
but I heard that there was a tattooist in las terrenas but im not sure there would be enough customers for 2 shops

Lilia

Nov 2, 2014
Tattoos are big business in DR now, very common around the younger generations. But as there is a tattoo boom now this means there are shops springing up all over the place. There are some decent tattooists kicking about, but so many now that you'd struggle to get in on it. they are charging roughly RD1000-1500 per hour (max), and so you can see the profit is not what you'd expect elsewhere. With your material imports, rent (in a respectable area), set up costs, advertising I don't think you could do it. You could make a living, but you'll not make a good living, certainly not in Punta Cana, and in the Capital you'd have too much competition and become a target.

I understand for the Capital but why not in Punta Cana ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The problem in the DR that you may not be aware of is that if a business is successful, a dozen other people will start the same business near you and you all suffer. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO COME HERE AND START A BUSINESS.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
I've never been there
but I heard that there was a tattooist in las terrenas but im not sure there would be enough customers for 2 shops

Why not contact him?
I think he calls his business "Alan Tattoo".

As you are French you'd probably like the fact that LT has many French residents.

donP