U.S. citizen applying for Brazilian tourist visa in Santo Domingo

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Any U.S. citizens who have applied recently for Brazilian tourist visa in Santo Domingo?
Curious what the experience was like and any suggestions to insure the process runs smoothly?

Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am pretty sure you don't have to get one until you get to Brazil. At least that was the way it was a few years ago. You just pay there and get a photo, etc. and pass customs.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Maybe years ago it was like that, but not since at least 1990. If you're American you can't board in the US to Brazil without a valid visa. If you slip through, you're just sent back to point of origin and the airline that boarded you gets a hefty fine. Haven't tried GOL from SDQ, always went via Miami. Rules should be the same for US citizens though.
Process was not difficult in SDQ at their Embassy. Call and email first for
requirements, make an appointment.

Last edited:

drstranger

Sep 8, 2013
Brasil Visa

I got a visa in May 2014 prior to the World Cup.

1. You need to complete a Visa Application online and print it out.

Embajada de Brasil RD
https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/manterVisto.do?lang=eng#inicio

2. You need other documents as well (copy of passport, source of income, photos)

3. Go to the Brazilian consulate in Santo Dominago. It is about 5 blocks away from the Metro bus station

4. Arrive in the morning prior to lunch (they take new applications in morning and give completed ones out in the afternoon)

5. Once processed (2 minute interview), they will send you to the bank down the street (walking distance) to pay for the visa (bank gives you a receipt). The bank only takes pesos for this process. If I remember correctly it is about $110 US (4800 RD)

6. Return to the embassy and provide the receipt.

7. The embassy processed my application in 4 days.

8. Return to the embassy in 4 days (after lunch) to pick up your passport with the visa stamp inside.

My visa is a 10 year visa that is good for 90 days at a time (180 days per year).

It was relatively a quick and easy process. About 2 hours the first day going between the bus station, embassy, bank, embassy, and returning to the bus station. Return the 4th day for about 10 minutes to pick it up.

I hope this helps.

You will need a visa and a valid passport (good for 6 or more months) prior to leaving. If you manage to get to brasil, they will send you right back home otherwise.

I flew Miami to Brasil (Rio de Janeiro). I returned from Rio to Santo Domingo on GOL. It was a nice direct flight from Rio to Santo Domingo (7 hrs).

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
tflea and drstranger, thanks for the responses. Stranger, thanks especially for the detailed walk through of the process!!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Im Dominican and I was planning to go to Brazil in October this year, when I arrived there there is a guy that check your papers to verify all papers are correct, while he was reading my job letter he wrote on the letter that I need a minimun wage of 35,000.00 pesos. Not sure if that apply for every body or I didnt like him, I said ok. thank you, I took my money to Cuba and had amazing 7 vacations days.

US Citizens need a visa prior to arrive Brazil.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Drstranger, thanks again. Process was as you described and painless... Fee for US citizen was $160 which is the same as processing at a Brazilian consulate in the USA.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
This is part of the reason it became such a headache.

Brazil visa fees for US Citizens increasing $20 on May 2, thanks again US State Department - Rapid Travel Chai - Rapid Travel Chai

Brazil does not like being pushed around by the US. When the US makes its visas more expensive and onerous, seemingly a quarterly ritual, Brazil is one of a number of countries that retaliate on US citizen visa applicants with corresponding visa or reciprocity fees( for non-visa countries).

The Rapid Traveler cannot fault any of them for defending their dignity. None yet has made the process as awful as applying for a US visa, and many of these countries issue visas for the life of the passport, and some ten years AND transferable to a new passport. He has paid thousands in visa fees so the chance to save even $20 on the Brazil visa for his upcoming trip is a small comfort.

On May 2 visas to Brazil for US citizens will increase by $20, a tourist visa, multiple-entry, typically valid for ten years will then cost $160. Get your application in their hands on May 1 and still pay $140. Make sure to get the correct amount of US Postal Service money order, other money order not accepted.

The line this morning in New York was not too long and lightning fast. Before they could ask questions the application was gone and the visa officer had called the next person. Pickup on Thursday.

Reader poll: what visa was hardest for The Rapid Traveler to obtain (two months and many phones calls and faxes) and then on arrival immigration officials scanned all ten of his fingerprints in a special screening area?

Feb 7, 2007
Is Brazil still fingerprinting US citizens on arrival?
I found it funny when they started doing it, the old-style way with the ink.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
This is part of the reason it became such a headache.

Brazil visa fees for US Citizens increasing $20 on May 2, thanks again US State Department - Rapid Travel Chai - Rapid Travel Chai

Brazil does not like being pushed around by the US. When the US makes its visas more expensive and onerous, seemingly a quarterly ritual, Brazil is one of a number of countries that retaliate on US citizen visa applicants with corresponding visa or reciprocity fees( for non-visa countries).

The Rapid Traveler cannot fault any of them for defending their dignity. None yet has made the process as awful as applying for a US visa, and many of these countries issue visas for the life of the passport, and some ten years AND transferable to a new passport. He has paid thousands in visa fees so the chance to save even $20 on the Brazil visa for his upcoming trip is a small comfort.

On May 2 visas to Brazil for US citizens will increase by $20, a tourist visa, multiple-entry, typically valid for ten years will then cost $160. Get your application in their hands on May 1 and still pay $140. Make sure to get the correct amount of US Postal Service money order, other money order not accepted.

The line this morning in New York was not too long and lightning fast. Before they could ask questions the application was gone and the visa officer had called the next person. Pickup on Thursday.

Reader poll: what visa was hardest for The Rapid Traveler to obtain (two months and many phones calls and faxes) and then on arrival immigration officials scanned all ten of his fingerprints in a special screening area?

A big net loss for Brazil, Americans will go elsewhere.

Feb 7, 2007
A big net loss for Brazil, Americans will go elsewhere.

Brazilians are very proud and they are one of the few nations on this planet that can totally do without the US.

They have all the industries, agriculture, mining (virtually all minerals minus diamonds), they even produce their own airplanes. While the US is the second largest trading partner, the first one is China (double the US trading volume), and the 2nd USA is closely followed by Argentina, European countries especially Netherlands, Chile and others. They do not need US of A!

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Glad to see unwarranted national pride is not only a Dominican thing. ;)

Feb 7, 2007
Glad to see unwarranted national pride is not only a Dominican thing. ;)

National pride... that's why LATAM group (LAN+TAM) are changing brand. TAM is obsolete and LAN Brazil would not work because Brazilians would never fly it.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
I have no knowledge of those acronyms but xfinity is just as bad as comcast. BTW I will go to Brazil one day. I heard they have lovely ASSets to be seen.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Passport picked up today with visa. Same process and result as drstranger, a 10 year multiple entry visa good for 90 day stays, 180 days annually.