Home window tinting

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have an massive front window that just radiates large amounts of solar radiation into the home most of the day because it faces south.

I've searched for sunscreen blinds that I could install but have been unsuccessful in finding ready made options and have not been able to source material to have a custom blind made. Now I am exploring the option of having a tinting film applied to the window much like an auto tint. I wish to maintain some ability to see out of the window and do not really care about people seeing in. I do however, want to block as much UV radiation as I can in an attempt to keep the house cooler, prevent art work and furniture from being bleached by the sun.

Anyone know of a company that I can approach for an estimate that would be willing to come to Sosua?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I have an massive front window that just radiates large amounts of solar radiation into the home most of the day because it faces south.

I've searched for sunscreen blinds that I could install but have been unsuccessful in finding ready made options and have not been able to source material to have a custom blind made. Now I am exploring the option of having a tinting film applied to the window much like an auto tint. I wish to maintain some ability to see out of the window and do not really care about people seeing in. I do however, want to block as much UV radiation as I can in an attempt to keep the house cooler, prevent art work and furniture from being bleached by the sun.

Anyone know of a company that I can approach for an estimate that would be willing to come to Sosua?

In SD, I had this done by the same auto shops that offer if on car windows. The car detail shops usually have it.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Shade is your best option - stop it before it ever hits the glass. And that can be exterior blinds, overhang, porch roof or trees.

images

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

you would be better to get a solar shade or even an awning.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I had it done to my house windows by an auto shop in Puerta Plata. I had to buy thr material from them and I did a deal with their installer to come to the house and do the needful. There's plenty of these shops in Puerta Plata so Sosua is not that far.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
You need a metalized reflective or neutral film. Do not have a black or smoked film installed, as they will absorb lots of enery thus heating the glass and negating your attempt to reduce heat load. Almost all films provide 99% uva and uvb protection. This will protect furniture, flooring and window treatments. With reflective and neutral films you will be able to see out during the day and see in during the night. 3M is the gold standard. Sunguard is a reputable manufacturer as well. Just make sure the glass is cleaned very, very well prior to installation.

I was a partner in a window tinting company in the early days of my current business as paintless dent repair, we did a lot of commercial/residential window tinting.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gringo... the pull down screen may be a good solution....
keeps out the wind when the door's open and screens the sun

lots of people have them

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am renting, but I do have permission to make non-destructive alterations as I see fit. Something has to be done or our furnishings will suffer sun damage. We are having curtains made for other windows/doors but that approach is not practical for this monster window. I think a film is the way to go due to size and accessibility issues.

Thx everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

Rgds.

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
I have a similar issue. One large picture window over the kitchen sink that looks out on the pool and gardens. Wonderful view that I did not want to obstruct with curtains (high enough off the ground that privacy is not an issue). Went down the same road of obtaining quotes for window tint. Quotes came back in at $60,000 RD. The house has older windows that I planned to update, so this cost was ridiculous. Fast forward a year and termite damage. Now replacing all the windows throughout house with UV composite models. This picture window will have the tint I originally wanted. It only adds $5,000 RD to the job. If you'd like, I can get you the contractor's info, but I think the price is driven by the total scope of the job.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Being a tenant, I am prepared to spend some money to make us as comfortable as possible, but I do have to temper my desires with the ability to get my moneys worth not knowing exactly how long we will live here. I haven't been a renter in a very long time and sometimes, I need to be reminded that I don't own the place when contemplating improvements.

Drapes are important as is protecting our possessions from the sun. Reducing the the thermal radiation will help keep the house cooler during the day. I can justify the cost of some tinting. It being removable if the next person doesn't appreciate living inside a Sosua taxi is a bonus.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Thx.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
JD,

I originally contemplated something along those lines. I was thinking those sun screens you see on the rear side windows of cars, only bigger. I wasn't able to find any big enough to cover the space without resorting to using several. Then we get into multiple pull/draw strings, etc. This glass space extends from 2nd floor ceiling to the ground floor. Is like 120 inches wide frame to frame and 25+ feet tall divided and supported by three cross frames and partially blocked by some stairs. All in all I think a film is the easiest, most economical and most aesthetically pleasing option. We'll see. If it doesn't work, then we'll try something else.

Dear Landlord,

Desperately need two way mirrors installed in villa. Please send cheque...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
me i love the window films...and it protects your furniture....u can also walk around el flaygro delecto (sp) and peeps cant see in....i always prove it to g.f. or other females... you know how they are about that...

joseph01

Jun 21, 2010
I have installed the film on 2 big windows facing west......and thedifference you feel is amazing.....it is not hard to do it yourself......its not cheap.....but will last forever....I bought the film over the internet......there are different degrees of reflection.....there is a mirror effect ....--