Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quark

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Quark

I love handmade quark, the kind you got on farmers markets and in small wine taverns in Southern Germany and some other European regions, about 20 years ago. This quark was a creamy, near neutral, slightly sour product whith a specific aroma. It was eaten either salty (e.g. mixed with some chives as a side to boiled potatoes) or with some sugar and fruit (as a dessert).
    Nowadays it's rather difficult to find handmade quark in Germany. All you get in even the most remote wine taverns is the same industrial, dry and tasteless product, which is cheap in supermarkets. Yes - in the taverns they add herbs and some cream to improve it - but to no avail.

So i was kind of sceptical when i bought some Dominican Quark today (label says: autentico QUARK requeson creamcheese). To my own surprise - this stuff is fantastic! Moist, creamy and with the kind of aroma i missed so long! I nearly emptied the cup this afternoon, which had 1 libra of quark. (Reading the label i found fat and salt content (5%,0.2%) being higher than in the typical German-supermarket product (0.2%,0.04%). The taste is great however - and who cares?).

I did test different kinds of Dominican Mozzarella lately - and was not happy with them. Did you find a nice Mozzarella yet?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't eaten quark for some years but I used to like it. They sell it in the UK too. I'll look out for the Dominican variety - where did you buy it?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Imtresting, never heard of quark. Will try and find some.
    Sosua's creamy cheese is good as is their ricotta.
    As for mozzarella, I substitute with queso de oja ( fresh not the supermarket kind ).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first saw this, I thought of particle physics. Then I thought of the Ferenghi bar owner on DS9.
    Now I see it is a German cheese. I wonder how many meanings the word quark has.

5. Likes nispero liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quark (dairy product) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quark (pronounced “kvark”) is a type of fresh dairy product, common for the cuisines of German-speaking countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), northern Europe (Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden), the Netherlands,[1][2][3] Hungary, Israel, of Slavic peoples (e.g. Czechs, Slovaks, Poles, Russians, Ukrainians and Belarusians), and of Ashkenazi Jews. It is made by warming soured milk until the desired degree of coagulation (denaturation, curdling) of milk proteins is met, and then strained.[4] It can be classified as fresh acid-set cheese,[5] though in some countries it is traditionally considered a distinct fermented milk product.[6] Traditional quark is made without rennet; however in some modern dairies rennet is added.[7] It is soft, white and unaged, and usually has no salt added.
    Dictionaries usually translate it as curd cheese, cottage cheese or sometimes farmer cheese. In Germany, quark and cottage cheese are considered to be different types of fresh cheese, while in Eastern Europe cottage cheese is usually viewed as a type of quark (e.g. Russian for cottage cheese is зернёный творог, literally "grainy quark").
    Quark can be compared to French fromage frais, Indian paneer, and to queso fresco made in the Iberian Peninsula and in some Latin American countries. It is distinct from Italian ricotta because ricotta (Italian: "recooked") is made from scalded whey. It is somewhat similar to yogurt cheeses such as the South Asian chak(k)a, the Arabic labneh, and the Central Asian suzma or kashk, but while these products are obtained by straining yogurt (milk fermented with thermophile bacteria), quark is made from soured milk fermented with mesophile bacteria.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i guess you must be talking about this cheese:

can you post data of the producer? i have seen this product and this brand but never bought it. i make my own quark cheese, from scratch. but why work if i can be lazy?

Post Thanks / Like

Elite brand dairy products can be found in the big supermarkets. I've bought their yogurts, sour cream and ricotta but I'd never noticed the quark. I just need to look more closely.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quark for Tsaziki

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    can you post data of the producer?
    It just says "Fabricado por COLONIA INDUSTRIAL" (SD), no phone number, no website given.
    We buy it a lot, making 'Tsaziki' from it.

donP

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i guess you must be talking about this cheese:

Yep - that's the one! I bought it in Santo Domingo: Supermercado Nacional, Av. Máximo Gómez.

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    As for mozzarella, I substitute with queso de oja ( fresh not the supermarket kind ).
    I'll try to find queso de oja - thanks!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    When I first saw this, I thought of particle physics. Then I thought of the Ferenghi bar owner on DS9.
    Now I see it is a German cheese. I wonder how many meanings the word quark has.
    "You and me both", so to speak. Never heard of quark as a food item. Where was this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast