Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quark

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Elite brand dairy products can be found in the big supermarkets...
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    I make my own quark cheese, from scratch.
    ... Hui, i'm impressed - where do you get the milk? UHT milk from the shelf?

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nispero View Post
    ... Hui, i'm impressed - where do you get the milk? UHT milk from the shelf?
    i get milk from FIL's farm. it's pure, straight from the titty, unpasteurized. very fat.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Dv8 where do you get your culture? Quark culture? It lookdbeady to make but I don't have tje culture ingredient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommeyers View Post
    Dv8 where do you get your culture? Quark culture? It lookdbeady to make but I don't have tje culture ingredient.
    in poland this cheese is called twarˇg. the process of preparation is very simple and does not require cheese culture.

pour the milk in a large pot. cover lightly with a lid, you can also use a cloth like fabric nappy. leave in room temperature until the milk is sour and separates. put the pot on low fire. the temperature needs to be low enough for you to be able to touch the pot. bring the milk on the verge of boiling, it cannot start boiling, you need to wait until bubbles form. turn off the stove. leave the milk to cool down. when cool, use a ladle to spoon soft white cheese from the pot to the sieve with a piece of cloth inside. when done, gently squeeze remaining water from the cheese and let rest for an hour or soon the sieve so that it dries up.

it is important that milk is full fat. in DR you can purchase this type of milk in some barrios. a truck with a barrel full of milk, being sold by a ladle. how safe is that to use? well, the milk reaches high temperature for quite a while so i assume it's ok.

few notes:
    the taste of quark will depend on when you make it, if it is made the same day the milk cut it will be sweeter, if it it done later it will be more sour;
    on the top of sour milk a thick film of yellow cream will form. this can be scooped out and used as cream in cooking or you can also make butter out of it. i leave it in as it makes the cheese tastier;
    the water left after the cheese is cooked is called whey, it is very high in protein, can be used in making shakes, you can also give it to your dogs (we do).

i am sure that the recipe for this cheese differs slightly from country to country. in some places the milk will be sieved after cutting,without boiling. other people will add cream, yogurt, kefir, buttermilk and other milk products. but above is how i make mine. i learnt this method from my mom.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks dv8.

Post Thanks / Like

no problemo.

it terms of decent dominican cheeses i can recommend two companies local to the NC: lupa and la zarina. i believe they might have started as one company and then separate when owners decided to part their ways. they both make fresh mozzarella, both yellow cheese type and soft white balls in water. whatever those are formally called. recently i also tried butter from la zarina and hell, it's refreshing to see the list of ingredients: crema de leche. nothing more.

la zarina also makes other cheeses like burrata, cheddar, danes, queso de hoja, pasteggio, ricotta and even mascarpone. as wellas yogurts and cream.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quark

Now a month or more and still NO (cottage cheese of any type... No fat, low fat, or 4% fat) or QUARK in Sosua or Puerto Plata and seems anyone working in Playero or La Serena, Polo or elsewhere has any idea or care why but only say they guess the places that ship these items to them are out of them.

If anyone sees either of these products in Sosua, POP, Santiago, Sdgo or elsewhere please let me know...it is very important. Thank you.
    Last edited by james; 07-17-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: forgot item

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12