The People Want Danilo to Continue

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I also want him to continue as there is no decent alternative except maybe for his Justice Minister . But I would like him to move on issues faster especially in the law and order area and actually I thin it is now time to consolidate all the recent infra structure improvements rather than borrow more But it ia a pipe dream because he will not change the constitution to suit himself and I doubt if he has all the numbers in both houses to have a change pushed through . I assume it needs more than a simple majority to change the constitution but who knows here .

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
When a "good" president changes the constitution, it just makes it easier for a "bad" one to do it later.

Slippery slope

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Despite all the talk, I doubt very much Danilo Medina will change the Constitution. This would be the third President to do so in recent times… Hipolito Medina (2004 Constitution) and then Leonel Fernandez (2010 Constitution), both changes to accommodate their running for the Presidency again.

In a recent statement, new Foreign Minister Andres Navarro said that the President was very respectful of the Constitution.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Despite all the talk, I doubt very much Danilo Medina will change the Constitution. This would be the third President to do so in recent times? Hipolito Medina (2004 Constitution) and then Leonel Fernandez (2010 Constitution), both changes to accommodate their running for the Presidency again.

In a recent statement, new Foreign Minister Andres Navarro said that the President was very respectful of the Constitution.

I don't think so. The 2002(!) change (of Hipolito MEJIA ...;-) ) was to revert the change of 1994 where reelection was forbidden (before that reelection was allowed), the 2010 change didn't affect the articles on reelection. There were voices when the constitution was to be changed (main reason to make the way clear for tax reform) to again forbid reelection but that didn't take place, so Leonel didn't chnage the constitution to accommodate him running again but refrained from making a suggested change to block him running again.

Carlos Rymer

Feb 2, 2015
This is an interesting debate because not too long ago there was a lot of opposition to the idea of changing the Constitution. Now that we have a President everybody is very happy with, many want him to stay. It's an interesting discussion to have and one that calls into question the popularity of previous presidents compared to Danilo Medina. I posted my thoughts on this subject on Room4Debate, an interesting tool for debating topics: http://room4debate.com/topic/domini...constitution-to-run-for-a-second-term-in-2016

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Let me pose a hypothetical. Suppose Leonel gets caught up in some kind of scandal and becomes unelectable or otherwise decides not to run. Do you think they would change the constitution to permit Danilo a second term?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican Constitution is just a piece of paper that can be changed to suit the whims of the majority party at any time, and HAS BEEN!!!!!
Let the people vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have no qualms about the constitution being changed by the politicians as they were the only ones who voted on it ...the voters were ignored .. an amazing constitution ..so many good things in it but very few peole take any notice of it

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Why did the constitution say the president could not be elected 2 times in a row? There must be a reason for it saying so in the first place.

I would worry that a future despot could abuse this change to keep him/her in power. Sometimes a change for the good now can come back and bite you later. Just a thought.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I doubt very much Danilo Medina will seek re-election. What I have read is that the proponents of re-election want Congress to pass the US formula so he can run for re-election and be elected to four more years. And then no more.
So, that would almost be his group working for former President Leonel Fernandez, who then would be clear to run for two more terms.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
It seems clear to me that Medina does not want, and will not lead an effort, to change the constitution to permit his re-election. Nevertheless, polls show people want Danilo to continue. OK. But do they, or you, think things will be different when Leonel becomes president for the next four years? Aside from style, what will be different?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It seems clear to me that Medina does not want, and will not lead an effort, to change the constitution to permit his re-election. Nevertheless, polls show people want Danilo to continue. OK. But do they, or you, think things will be different when Leonel becomes president for the next four years? Aside from style, what will be different?

Apparently you don't know enough about the last 4 years of Leonel's period as president to compare that with what we have
experienced with Danilo as president. The Dominican people do and that is why about 70% want Danilo to continue.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They call him Ladronel.

Apparently you don't know enough about the last 4 years of Leonel's period as president ...

Dominicans do know, which of their presidents stole more than others... :classic:
Usually Dominicans would say, that Balaguer was less of a 'ladr?n' than 'Ladronel'... :knockedou

donP