us citizen born from dominican parents cedula?

acabrera7186

Jan 17, 2013
hey guys i wanted to know and everyone keeps telling me this i wanted to get a cedula in dominican republic i don't want to me a citizen just get a cedula how can i do that with my parents born from there i know i need my bc apostilled legalized and notarized and i also need a copy of my parents cedula or bc but what else im in New York and i heard as well i can go to the consulado here in ny and do the paperwork thanks

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Call Leslie Mota at the Miami embassy and she will direct you to the correct person in New York 305-358-3220 EXT 1443. She will answer all your questions.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm pretty sure you will get automatic citizenship when you file the papers - not residency. Is there a reason why you don't want to be a Dominican citizen?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I'm pretty sure you will get automatic citizenship when you file the papers - not residency. Is there a reason why you don't want to be a Dominican citizen?

All my cousins born in USA their parents got thier Dominicans papers, so now they are American Citizens and Dominicans, and no problems, they travel back and forth, stay there as much time they want, also here, and some just come for vacations.

If he doesnt want to be Dominican but he wants a cedula will be more dificult and more expensive because he will have to apply for a Dominican Residence and get a foreigner Cedula, but according by law he is granted automaticaly with the Dominican Citizenship when he apply and show all the papers that is born from Dominican parents.

acabrera7186

Jan 17, 2013

i just don't want to have a dual citizenship and paying taxes here and there and i know it will take time i want to go in jan and get married and have a cedula i heard it takes about 2 to 3 months for everything

acabrera7186

Jan 17, 2013
All my cousins born in USA their parents got thier Dominicans papers, so now they are American Citizens and Dominicans, and no problems, they travel back and forth, stay there as much time they want, also here, and some just come for vacations.

If he doesnt want to be Dominican but he wants a cedula will be more dificult and more expensive because he will have to apply for a Dominican Residence and get a foreigner Cedula, but according by law he is granted automaticaly with the Dominican Citizenship when he apply and show all the papers that is born from Dominican parents.

how long did it take them for those papers i hate paying that 10 and i hate paying that fee for overstay

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i just don't want to have a dual citizenship and paying taxes here and there and i know it will take time i want to go in jan and get married and have a cedula i heard it takes about 2 to 3 months for everything

As far as I know, the USA is the only country who taxes their citizens on their income worldwide. Becoming a Dominican citizen does not entail any additional taxes, is easy and cheap for you, will save the tourist card and exit fines too. My husband is a dual citizen, and I will be too in 2015 if everything goes as planned.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Get your DR citizenship!!!!!!
MANY advantages, NO Disadvantages that I can think of!!!!
My 3 kids have BOTH!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Based on the whats happening with FATCA etc, the DR Passport may be more desirable than the US one.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
It never hurts to have an additional citizenship. Hell, I want a third or a fourth...I want to be Jason Bourne :smoke:

Paying taxes worldwide is definitely a US thing. Now when you go to open a bank account they fill out a W9 and want your SSN...WTF!!!! :confused::confused::mad::mad:

The IRS are commie bastards with their vampire teeth sunk into the ass flesh of the DR gubmnt

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
There are 2 ways for you to obtain a Dominican c?dula. As a legal resident, or as a Dominican citizen. Because your parents are Dominican born you are entitled to Dominican citizenship.

The Consulate in New York can only assist you with the first part of the process. They can register your birth and issue a Consular birth certificate. This document must be transcribed by the Junta Central in the Dominican Republic.

You can skip the Consulate and have your American birth certificate transcribed by the Junta Central in the Dominican Republic directly. You will be eligible for a c?dula only after you have completed the transcription of your birth certificate in the Dominican Republic. This process can take 1-2 months.