2 nights in Las Galeras

gas

Jul 28, 2013
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net...=b1b9506b631da22d540510c3932f77bb&oe=551BF697

The photo was taken from the hotel restaurant during breakfast.

My plans to go to Jarabacoa fell through and at the last minute, decided on Las Galeras. Quite the polar opposite, though I have yet to go to Jarabacoa but next time for sure.

We didn?t spend all that much time in Las Galeras? 2 nights. We would have stayed another day if the hotel wasn?t so lousy. I didn?t feel like hunting around for another hotel and besides, we needed to take care of some things in Santo Domingo where I am as I write this.

Las Galeras is THE place to go to escape civilization. Creature comforts are a bare minimum but the tradeoff is incredible scenery, gorgeous beaches, and peace and quiet. It?s a great place for a romantic interlude and if you?re trying to kick the internet habit, haha. Actually, Las G has cellular in most locations so if you?re a diehard internet person, you aren?t gonna kick the habit here.

Restaurants are mostly pizzerias, nothing special. There is absolutely nothing special here as far as activities except walking and swimming and boating. So, if you get bored easily, this is not the place to go. However, if you enjoy hearing the birds sing, it?s worth the trip, which isn?t so difficult.

Below is my Trip Advisor review of the hotel we stayed at, aka, the hotel from hunger.

TA Review
Let me get this out of the way first. To each his own, one man?s pleasure is another person?s poison, blah blah. You get the idea. That is, my opinion will differ from the vast majority of the reviews in TripAdvisor. Personally, I?m accustomed to more luxurious hotels, or at least (real) 3 or 4 star hotels with many creature comforts and amenities. However, I knew that wasn?t gonna happen even in the best hotel in Las Galeras. I accepted that. It was a trade off for the location. Although I tried not to let my personal affinities effect this review and I don?t think it did, it should be taken into account.

Frankly, I did little research and stayed there based on the 8 or so reviews on the first page in TripAdvisor, seven of which were 5 star and one was 4 star. I barely looked at the website. Mea culpa, but I was rushed due to a change in plans. I am generally more thorough at researching travel plans ahead of time. However, I likely would have stayed at El Marinique based on the TA reviews anyway (Villa Serena, the #1 hotel in TA was sold out), but now I?ll have to think twice about making decisions solely based on TA. It?s amazing how different my perspective of Marinique was then everyone else?s.

Even so, with that in mind, I was trying to understand all the accolades given to Marinique. And forgive me if I misspell the hotel as ?Martinique" now and then cuz my spell checker likes that better.

Things started out on the wrong foot. When proprietor Nicole told me that payment was cash only, I was surprised. I didn?t express anger, only surprise. She immediately became defensive and said that it stated so on the website. Yes, true, but as stated, I barely looked at the website. Is that a requirement these days? Even if I did read every word on the website (and who does?), how hard would it have been to mention it when making reservations? So, we started out on the wrong foot.

We were the only guests there. This is low season and it seemed empty everywhere, i.e., restaurants, the town, etc. That was a big positive to me. We went there to get away, not to be with tourists. But one has to wonder why one hotel (Villa Serena) would be full and the Marinique empty.

To be blunt, the apartments (2) at the hotel were terrible. We were ready to head for the hills after the first night. It was unbearably hot as heck, especially at night, with little breeze even with doors and windows open. And the mosquitoes were out in force. A sleepless night for both of us.

The next day, we told Nicole that we were going to cut our stay short from 2 nights and would be leaving that day. No questions were asked why and I felt no obligation to explain. However, Nicole?s helper, Ruth, talked to my girlfriend shortly after and she got the truth out of her. They gave us a fan, a lesson on turning on the lights and we decided to stay another night. And I found my mosquito repellent. DO NOT GO THERE WITHOUT A GOOD REPELLENT. Why we weren?t given a fan on the first night is a mystery. Unfortunately, though, it only helped in the bedroom where it was located. Downstairs was still an inferno.

Our apartment was not cleaned at all. The reason given was that we said we were leaving. I don?t buy it. That was around mid morning that we decided to leave and an hour later decided to stay after Ruth talked my girlfriend into it. Considering we were the only guests, the lack of cleaning was inexcusable. If I was the owner, I would have cleaned the room myself if my assistant was unable to. But she was present throughout the morning.

The lights were a challenge to work. You practically need to have a degree in engineering to turn on some of the lights. We were left to our own devices to figure it out the first night as well as most everything else. The furnishings were sparse. However, that sort of thing I expected and it was clear from the reviews. I never uttered a complaint and am not complaining now, just reporting.

One of Nicole's selling points ? she can be very personable and helpful when she wants to be ? is that people come to stay at Marinique for the location, beauty and tranquility, not for TV or internet, which barely worked in the room anyway. People come to hear the birds sing as Nicole said, for peace and quiet. That was a good selling point and I was sold. But does that mean that one has to almost completely ignore most creature comforts? I think we would have had almost as many comforts if we slept in a tent on the beach.

The location happens to be unbelievable and is a perfect spot to chill and get away from civilization. But sometimes it?s the little things that can make or break a deal. In my case, it wasn?t the lack of creature comforts that bothered me, though I wasn?t thrilled. The straw that broke the camel?s back was a small thing, but really gave me an insight into the mindset of the Marinique. There were no decent chairs to sit outside and appreciate the tranquility. There were no chairs in front of the house. The balcony contained 2 of the cheapest chairs you can buy, one of which I broke, partly due to my needing to lose a few ounces and partly due to that it was a cheapo chair. I doubt they cost 100 pesos each. Ya know, it?s ok to have cheap furnishings when the selling point is the location. But for Christ?s sake, supply good chairs to enjoy the tranquility. Perhaps a hammock? I know it?s a small thing and call me small-minded, but on top of everything else, that was the deal breaker.

You need a flashlight, period, although I was told the lighting was fine. To get to the main road, there are a few spots on the path that are a bit hazardous in the dark And if you are with a significant other, you?ll probably want a light to find and descend the narrow stairs to get to the restroom in the middle of the night.

On the plus side, sitting in the restaurant and having a wonderful continental breakfast (fantastic bread and jam, homemade) with breathtaking views was by far the highlight. I wish I could have spent my entire stay in the restaurant.

The area is breathtakingly gorgeous and peaceful and I would not hesitate to return. However, not to the Marinique.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Next time try staying at the treehouse at El Cabito . (They also have 2 "chalets" )
The food and view from the cliffside restaurant more than make up for the "rustic" accommodations.

And if your feeling adventurous, you can jump off the cliff! (I did).

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
or El Castillo. Mosquitoes may be a pesky problem, but its very comfortable. Were it not for the mosquitoes and lack of a Playa las Ballenas, I would trade LT for LG.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
I totally agree about the mosquitoes..OMG I got like a million bites there..We stayed at Sol Azul very rustic too and no tv but quite romantic and the garden and pool area was gorgeous..they had these swings (that fit 2 people) where you can lay down and look at the stars. WIFI worked in the garden. I loved the beaches there and the tranquility in Las GalerasL.. Restaurants are not great..had the worst service ever at L'aventura de John

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Villa Serena is definitely much nicer ( large rooms and very clean) at least when we stayed there but I prefer the food at Nicole's.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I stayed at El Cabito which Timotero mentioned in his post while I was in Las Galeras.

The first night my wife was a bit disappointed in the lack of amenities but that's the reason I picked their location.

It's very simple and has the basics.

By the end of our trip she loved it.

I will say it's not for everyone though.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I stayed at Hotel playita in January. I thought Las Galeras area was ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. The beaches are nice, but not sure they are so much nicer than Las Terrenas. Moreover,Playa Rincon, the main attraction, was covered with seaweeds, disappointing (I had gone a couple of years ago during the summer, so, may be you have to pick the season carefully).

I don't know I am on the fence, may be next time, I will try a rental. The hotel I didn't hate it but I wouldn't return.

I also thought things were a little overpriced in the area due to the lack of choice.

I don't think I could stay more than a week there, but I can see how it can grow on you.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net...=b1b9506b631da22d540510c3932f77bb&oe=551BF697

The photo was taken from the hotel restaurant during breakfast.

My plans to go to Jarabacoa fell through and at the last minute, decided on Las Galeras. Quite the polar opposite, though I have yet to go to Jarabacoa but next time for sure.

We didn?t spend all that much time in Las Galeras? 2 nights. We would have stayed another day if the hotel wasn?t so lousy. I didn?t feel like hunting around for another hotel and besides, we needed to take care of some things in Santo Domingo where I am as I write this.

Las Galeras is THE place to go to escape civilization. Creature comforts are a bare minimum but the tradeoff is incredible scenery, gorgeous beaches, and peace and quiet. It?s a great place for a romantic interlude and if you?re trying to kick the internet habit, haha. Actually, Las G has cellular in most locations so if you?re a diehard internet person, you aren?t gonna kick the habit here.

Restaurants are mostly pizzerias, nothing special. There is absolutely nothing special here as far as activities except walking and swimming and boating. So, if you get bored easily, this is not the place to go. However, if you enjoy hearing the birds sing, it?s worth the trip, which isn?t so difficult.

Below is my Trip Advisor review of the hotel we stayed at, aka, the hotel from hunger.

TA Review
Let me get this out of the way first. To each his own, one man?s pleasure is another person?s poison, blah blah. You get the idea. That is, my opinion will differ from the vast majority of the reviews in TripAdvisor. Personally, I?m accustomed to more luxurious hotels, or at least (real) 3 or 4 star hotels with many creature comforts and amenities. However, I knew that wasn?t gonna happen even in the best hotel in Las Galeras. I accepted that. It was a trade off for the location. Although I tried not to let my personal affinities effect this review and I don?t think it did, it should be taken into account.

Frankly, I did little research and stayed there based on the 8 or so reviews on the first page in TripAdvisor, seven of which were 5 star and one was 4 star. I barely looked at the website. Mea culpa, but I was rushed due to a change in plans. I am generally more thorough at researching travel plans ahead of time. However, I likely would have stayed at El Marinique based on the TA reviews anyway (Villa Serena, the #1 hotel in TA was sold out), but now I?ll have to think twice about making decisions solely based on TA. It?s amazing how different my perspective of Marinique was then everyone else?s.

Even so, with that in mind, I was trying to understand all the accolades given to Marinique. And forgive me if I misspell the hotel as ?Martinique" now and then cuz my spell checker likes that better.

Things started out on the wrong foot. When proprietor Nicole told me that payment was cash only, I was surprised. I didn?t express anger, only surprise. She immediately became defensive and said that it stated so on the website. Yes, true, but as stated, I barely looked at the website. Is that a requirement these days? Even if I did read every word on the website (and who does?), how hard would it have been to mention it when making reservations? So, we started out on the wrong foot.

We were the only guests there. This is low season and it seemed empty everywhere, i.e., restaurants, the town, etc. That was a big positive to me. We went there to get away, not to be with tourists. But one has to wonder why one hotel (Villa Serena) would be full and the Marinique empty.

To be blunt, the apartments (2) at the hotel were terrible. We were ready to head for the hills after the first night. It was unbearably hot as heck, especially at night, with little breeze even with doors and windows open. And the mosquitoes were out in force. A sleepless night for both of us.

The next day, we told Nicole that we were going to cut our stay short from 2 nights and would be leaving that day. No questions were asked why and I felt no obligation to explain. However, Nicole?s helper, Ruth, talked to my girlfriend shortly after and she got the truth out of her. They gave us a fan, a lesson on turning on the lights and we decided to stay another night. And I found my mosquito repellent. DO NOT GO THERE WITHOUT A GOOD REPELLENT. Why we weren?t given a fan on the first night is a mystery. Unfortunately, though, it only helped in the bedroom where it was located. Downstairs was still an inferno.

Our apartment was not cleaned at all. The reason given was that we said we were leaving. I don?t buy it. That was around mid morning that we decided to leave and an hour later decided to stay after Ruth talked my girlfriend into it. Considering we were the only guests, the lack of cleaning was inexcusable. If I was the owner, I would have cleaned the room myself if my assistant was unable to. But she was present throughout the morning.

The lights were a challenge to work. You practically need to have a degree in engineering to turn on some of the lights. We were left to our own devices to figure it out the first night as well as most everything else. The furnishings were sparse. However, that sort of thing I expected and it was clear from the reviews. I never uttered a complaint and am not complaining now, just reporting.

One of Nicole's selling points ? she can be very personable and helpful when she wants to be ? is that people come to stay at Marinique for the location, beauty and tranquility, not for TV or internet, which barely worked in the room anyway. People come to hear the birds sing as Nicole said, for peace and quiet. That was a good selling point and I was sold. But does that mean that one has to almost completely ignore most creature comforts? I think we would have had almost as many comforts if we slept in a tent on the beach.

The location happens to be unbelievable and is a perfect spot to chill and get away from civilization. But sometimes it?s the little things that can make or break a deal. In my case, it wasn?t the lack of creature comforts that bothered me, though I wasn?t thrilled. The straw that broke the camel?s back was a small thing, but really gave me an insight into the mindset of the Marinique. There were no decent chairs to sit outside and appreciate the tranquility. There were no chairs in front of the house. The balcony contained 2 of the cheapest chairs you can buy, one of which I broke, partly due to my needing to lose a few ounces and partly due to that it was a cheapo chair. I doubt they cost 100 pesos each. Ya know, it?s ok to have cheap furnishings when the selling point is the location. But for Christ?s sake, supply good chairs to enjoy the tranquility. Perhaps a hammock? I know it?s a small thing and call me small-minded, but on top of everything else, that was the deal breaker.

You need a flashlight, period, although I was told the lighting was fine. To get to the main road, there are a few spots on the path that are a bit hazardous in the dark And if you are with a significant other, you?ll probably want a light to find and descend the narrow stairs to get to the restroom in the middle of the night.

On the plus side, sitting in the restaurant and having a wonderful continental breakfast (fantastic bread and jam, homemade) with breathtaking views was by far the highlight. I wish I could have spent my entire stay in the restaurant.

The area is breathtakingly gorgeous and peaceful and I would not hesitate to return. However, not to the Marinique.

Buyer beware. Las Galeras is exactly as you described, beautiful scenery and little else. Most of the hotels are lucky to have enough cash flow just to stay open let alone buy new chairs and give you other amenities. She didn't give you a fan because that would cost her extra money in electric costs. If you come to a foreign country you might want to do a little homework first to understand where you are going and what you will find. It sounds like you had no real understanding of either. You probably should have gone to Las Terrenas where you would find more going on and better accommodations.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If you come to a foreign country you might want to do a little homework first to understand where you are going and what you will find. It sounds like you had no real understanding of either. You probably should have gone to Las Terrenas where you would find more going on and better accommodations.

What ? Asking for a fan in a hotel, in a tropical country shows the lack of homework on his part ? He did not travel to the Jungle of Congo !! Las Galeras is still a tourist town, albeit small and quiet.

What do you google: fan availability in Samana, Dominican Republic ??

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Las Terrenas vs Las Galeras

What's the difference between Las Terrenas and Las Galeras? I have been to Las Terrenas a few times but can't see taking the extra drive to visit Las Galeras unless there is something special about Las Galeras.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What's the difference between Las Terrenas and Las Galeras? I have been to Las Terrenas a few times but can't see taking the extra drive to visit Las Galeras unless there is something special about Las Galeras.

Las Galeras is much much smaller than Las Terrenas, a small town/village with a main street with a couple of restaurants, that's it. There is a small expat community there though (there is even a French bakery, very good by the way). It is charming, may be reminiscent of Las terrenas 30 years ago (not that I saw it). Surely, no ATV tourists taking over the town. The beaches are beautiful and the nature is very luxuriant. Went around the campo, and I thought it was very beautiful.

It feels more "authentic" than LT and out of the way, so I can see its attraction (people appears friendlier, but I may be bias cause I had a local contact there, family of my ninera). Some might find it boring, others extremely relaxing.

Last edited:

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Las Galeras is close to Playa Rincon, which is the only reason we visit there from Sosua every 3 or 4 years.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You only need one reason to visit Las Galeras. PLAYA RINCON. If you are facing the water head to the far left side. You have a fresh water stream on your left and the beach on your right. Then you go to the last Blue tent where the "Fat Lady Cooks". Best fresh fish on the Island. Bring your own wine and booze.

You can take a small boat up the stream and swim in crystal clear water.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...leras_Samana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

Forgot about this one. But do not take your own car. Take a cab or call Pierre to pick you up.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Buyer beware. Las Galeras is exactly as you described, beautiful scenery and little else. Most of the hotels are lucky to have enough cash flow just to stay open let alone buy new chairs and give you other amenities. She didn't give you a fan because that would cost her extra money in electric costs. If you come to a foreign country you might want to do a little homework first to understand where you are going and what you will find. It sounds like you had no real understanding of either. You probably should have gone to Las Terrenas where you would find more going on and better accommodations.

It's time to come in and out of the sun.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
You can get a boat to take you to Playa Rincon from the beach in town at Las Galeras. It is a short boat ride and they pick you up and take you back.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What ? Asking for a fan in a hotel, in a tropical country shows the lack of homework on his part ? He did not travel to the Jungle of Congo !! Las Galeras is still a tourist town, albeit small and quiet.

What do you google: fan availability in Samana, Dominican Republic ??

I didn't say that. I said that the owner of the hotel did not offer to give these people a fan because it would cost the owner more in electricity costs. They were the only ones staying at this hotel and it probably was for a reason. No A/C, no overhead fan or portable fans? When these people looked at the description of the hotel on line or talked to the owner, maybe, just maybe they should ask some questions. Also with no a/c and no screens in the windowns, of course the mosquitoes will eat you alive. Many people that travel have no clue and are ill prepared and then wonder why they are staying in a dump without the basic amenities. By the way I googled hotels with fans and guess what, I found some info. Las Galeras has some nice hotels and also many places being passed off as decent places. With all the info of the net it isn't hard to determine the difference.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Las Galeras is at the very end of the Samana Peninsula. It is an interesting ride from Samana City and very scenic. The road has been repaired and it is an easier ride than in past years. At the beaches in Las Galeras the road literally ends. The beaches are very beautiful and on your way to Las Galeras and can also stop off and see Playa Balle and or Playa Rincon. These are both very beautiful beaches surrounded by mountains and look more out of the South Pacific than the Caribbean. If you have never gone it is worth a day trip. It will take you close to 1.5hours or more to drive from Las Terrenas to Las Galeras but it makes a nice day of exploration.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I didn't say that. I said that the owner of the hotel did not offer to give these people a fan because it would cost the owner more in electricity costs. They were the only ones staying at this hotel and it probably was for a reason. No A/C, no overhead fan or portable fans? When these people looked at the description of the hotel on line or talked to the owner, maybe, just maybe they should ask some questions. Also with no a/c and no screens in the windowns, of course the mosquitoes will eat you alive. Many people that travel have no clue and are ill prepared and then wonder why they are staying in a dump without the basic amenities. By the way I googled hotels with fans and guess what, I found some info. Las Galeras has some nice hotels and also many places being passed off as decent places. With all the info of the net it isn't hard to determine the difference.

I still don't understand what you mean Steve. I backpacked through Central America/Caribbean in my younger days, and even in Hostels, fans are standard. So, it wouldn't cross my mind to inquire about a fan, I expect it, even if the owner has to blow the air with his mouth. I don't care about overhead or electricity costs, even Dominicans in poor barrios have abanicos.

But at the end of the day, the OP was only there for 2 nights. So, it is not a big deal.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Las Galeras is much much smaller than Las Terrenas, a small town/village with a main street with a couple of restaurants, that's it. There is a small expat community there though (there is even a French bakery, very good by the way). It is charming, may be reminiscent of Las terrenas 30 years ago (not that I saw it). Surely, no ATV tourists taking over the town. The beaches are beautiful and the nature is very luxuriant. Went around the campo, and I thought it was very beautiful.

It feels more "authentic" than LT and out of the way, so I can see its attraction (people appears friendlier, but I may be bias cause I had a local contact there, family of my ninera). Some might find it boring, others extremely relaxing.

ATV Tourists? Not sure I get that? I have been to LT a bunch of times and always rent an ATV. I see most of the ex pats that live there use them. Dominicans use the moto polution machines for the most part.

What do you suggest? Driving from Alisei to punto poppy? Walking?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
ATV Tourists? Not sure I get that? I have been to LT a bunch of times and always rent an ATV. I see most of the ex pats that live there use them. Dominicans use the moto polution machines for the most part.

What do you suggest? Driving from Alisei to punto poppy? Walking?

Relax Rafy, I don't care how you get around. LT has just a lot more ATV (expats and tourists alike) than other towns I have been through, that was my point.

Dominicans have little choice on how to get around (ar ATV noise and pollution free ?)

Last edited: