Getting around without a car?

May 20, 2012
Hello.
Newly arrived in B?varo and rented an apartment in El Cortecito. Now trying to learn how to get things done here.

Do not have a car and do not use motoconchos, so I need some education about transportation beyond comfortable walking distance. I'm sure there are taxis and car rentals, but my guess is cost is prohibitive for regular use.

I want to try to use public transport. My Spanish is coming along, but just past beginner and Dominican accent adds difficulty for me. So asking as I go is dicey.

I know there is a guagua on the main road, but how far does it go in each direction? I have used it to get to Palma Real shopping center, but that's it.

I want to go to Nacional, but not sure best way.

And we'd like to go to the cinema, but getting home afterward at night might be challenging without a car.

I'd appreciate any information that might assist me!

Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Derfish, do you know how much taxis charge in the Punta Cana - B?varo area?!

Getting around without a car is a challenge. To get to Nacional you take one guagua to the Cruce de Ver?n (Shell Station) and then another guagua to the airport, but ask to be let off at "Super Nacional" (or Plaza Bolera or Wendy's) just before it gets to the airport.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Derf gets bored some days and responds to all threads

often without having any knowledge of the situation

that's just a fact.... not slander

generally, his advice s/b taken with salt..... as much as you have on hand.

May 20, 2012
Thanks. Never been to Nacional yet, so that helps.
So how do I get a guagua to return?

Derfish, do you know how much taxis charge in the Punta Cana - B?varo area?!

Getting around without a car is a challenge. To get to Nacional you take one guagua to the Cruce de Ver?n (Shell Station) and then another guagua to the airport, but ask to be let off at "Super Nacional" (or Plaza Bolera or Wendy's) just before it gets to the airport.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From either the bus stop by the airport roundabout, or the one near the Wendy's/4-Points Hotel roundabout (on the other side of the road) and get a guagua back to the Cruce de Ver?n, and wait outside the police station at the Cruce for a guagua back to Cortecito.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
getting aroundwithout car

if you take a guagua and a girl snuggles up to you, do not be surprised if your wallet is missing at the end of the trip

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I don't drive in the DR (I am too polite)
I rarely take a Motoconcho, Carro, or Guagua.
I never take a Taxi.
But, I do highly recommend..... Teva Toachi 2 Sandals
I figure I have at least 3000km on my latest pair, and they are still going strong.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
There is a great bus service in Bavaro. It does a loop from the bus depot in Friuisa through to San Juan Center (Coco Loco) up the highway back to Friusa. It goes up by the Iberia as well. Good service. To Nacional you need to go to to Veron and switch to the bus to the airport. Ask around as there are lots of people who use the bus. No real need to go to Nacional as Super Pola has just about everything. Yes you do need to be aware of your surroundings and the bue can be packed. For a movie Derfish has the best advice.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Keep in mind the bus stops running after a certain point. There are taxis where you can negotiate car service with them, so you've got some control over the costs incurred. Coming back from the movies or Nacional, this is probably the best approach. There's stuff Nacional carries that Pola, Lama, and Iberia do not. Most can, however, be obtain from Pola, but it's still a decent ride away from Cortecito.

There is an alternative. I've laid my hands on a quad ATV. Much more stable than a moto, easier on gas than a car, and I rip out and back from Iberia to San Juan and back. No muss, no fuss. They are cheaper to buy than a car, but with the outfitters, they can be hard to find. Maybe that can be a transportation alternative.

May 20, 2012
Took the guagua to Nacional from el Cortecito. Took about 40 minutes each way. The change on the way was a little difficult to get across that busy intersection on foot. But returning no crossing needed.

Not a bad way to get around in daylight. At night, after a movie, don't think best idea for gringos probably.

Anybody recommend a good driver w a car for such purposes and a price that's reasonable?

And what's the regular taxi fare from San Juan back to around Sun Beach in Cortecito?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
As far as taxis go, Veron Taxi is probably the least expensive option and they're trustworthy. Tel is 809-466-1133. Recommend you have a local call first and fix the rate before they pick you up. I do not recommend public transportation after dark, unless you're accompanied by a local, if that.

Also keep in mind, and I'm not trying to scare anyone here, that there have been some thefts in the past several months in the Cortecito/Los Corales area. Normally by guys on motorcycles and almost always at night. They know it's an area with lots of short/long-term tourists who'll usually carry more than a couple hundred pesos on them along with jewelry, etc. Stay safe!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
take a taxi...get the phone # of same...more u use the same one the price goes down....some taxi guys are not making alot...and they be happee to collect u back

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
3000 km on one pair of shoes?!?!?!. something tells me that you dont get pedicures.

I don't drive in the DR (I am too polite)
I rarely take a Motoconcho, Carro, or Guagua.
I never take a Taxi.
But, I do highly recommend..... Teva Toachi 2 Sandals
I figure I have at least 3000km on my latest pair, and they are still going strong.

May 29, 2006
The key is to always wear white socks with your Tevas..
:)

I can see 3K km in a pair of shoes. That's 3km a day for about three years. My experience has been sandals get stinky faster than other shoes and they are frowned on when not on the beach or around the house.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I like Tevas. I have worn a pair almost exclusively since arriving. When they get "sticky" a walk in the ocean, pool or any non-effluent laden puddle around Sosua (if you can find such a puddle) and you're good to go for another day or two...

I'm saving my white socks for days when I also don my plaid shorts and dayglo fuchsia polo shirt, in other words my Sunday best...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Best Serve Yourself

Getting about in the tourist zone is cheaply done by bus, even cheaper by moto but dangerous. The downside of public transportation limits the amount necessities you carry because of cramped spaces. You can best serve yourself by making friends with your neighbors having vehicles. You can ask to go with them to market on their shopping days, buy more = less trips. The San Juan Shopping Center and the Palma Real Mall both have cinemas and there are taxistas nearby. There are plenty of minimarkets spread about El Cortecito so you have access to staple items within walking distance. Going to El Nacional from El Cortecitio may not be worth the hassle in logistics, time, and transport cost. Keep close and you will do OK. It is your call.

Regards,

PJT

May 20, 2012
I hear you!
And agree for the most part. We are just setting up housekeeping and there are some things I could not find.

Like Rubbermaid products because most of the plastic here is poor quality. I found a laundry basket at Nacional, but still need pitchers like this one. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Assets/images/Product/7e59-large.jpg
Best I ever found for refrigerator; very durable.

And decent celery! We eat a lot of celery. Pola had some, but it was waayyy past being fresh enough to buy....it was literally yellow! I asked if they had more and they did not; the yellow stuff was still in the cooler two days later! Nacional had much better selection plus fresher produce in general yesterday. Don't know it that's a fluke or just the way it is?
Getting about in the tourist zone is cheaply done by bus, even cheaper by moto but dangerous. The downside of public transportation limits the amount necessities you carry because of cramped spaces. You can best serve yourself by making friends with your neighbors having vehicles. You can ask to go with them to market on their shopping days, buy more = less trips. The San Juan Shopping Center and the Palma Real Mall both have cinemas and there are taxistas nearby. There are plenty of minimarkets spread about El Cortecito so you have access to staple items within walking distance. Going to El Nacional from El Cortecitio may not be worth the hassle in logistics, time, and transport cost. Keep close and you will do OK. It is your call.

Regards,

PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Whether El Nacional or Pola the produce freshness and variety is a crap shoot. It is part of the variables of living in the DR. If they don't have what you want or you don't like it, .... you substitute. Both markets have their pros and cons. You shop at the location that suits your likes and needs.

If you like Rubbermaid products, fine; but you may have to go to Santo Domingo to find an outlet selling the brand. You have an option of establishing an EPS, Express Parcel Service, account and order some items, Rubbermaid, pitchers $9.40 Prime, by Amazon; if you cannot find them in the DR. You have to weigh the cost of transportation, time, to stores in the DR to find the product or opt to buy Amazon and pay the parcel service costs. EPS has an office next to San Juan Shopping Center. The other options is relent and buy plastic products here, some do have quality.

Regards,

PJT