Marry or not. What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoWiseGuy

Nov 22, 2014
Hi folks, thanks to all for this terrific forum to get first hand information about the DR and its people, good or bad. This will be a long post as I have to lay it all out in front of you for a balanced opinion and advice as I met a woman from the DR. You will note that, perhaps, a case clear cut in the beginning is not as clear cut by the end going through the trouble having read all of it; at least not for me. First the facts, then the story:

About me:
48 years, working in a good position (development team lead in a microelectronics company) in Switzerland, spent the last 15 years working mostly outside Europe (where I am from) including third world countries. I relocated to a new country in average every 2 years, traveled a lot including backpacking trips of several months a long time ago. So, I've been around and know that life is not so great for a lot people in a lot of countries. Nightclubbing and going out as such (except with workmates for a beer after work occasionally) is not so much my thing anymore (tried online dating local folks, but, I'd rather stay by myself than having to deal with what I've met) and I heed the rule 'do not date co-workers'. Besides, there isn't much around the office for doing so anyway (electronics.. remember...).

So far never married, thus no baggage; my life had been interesting but too unsettled the past years so I never came around having a family of my own. However, this may or may not change as I now decided to stay put where I am. I am a normal looking dude, in good health and shape (hitting the gym twice a week). Meanwhile I do speak a bit of Spanish.

About her (Maria):
32 years of age, and pretty much the usual 'Dominican tale' - poor background, 4 years of school, father died long ago, 5 siblings, does not seem to have children of her own (that what she says. I know this may or may not be true, but let her give the benefit of doubt for the time being). No tattoos, does not drink (more on this below), does not smoke, does not wear all kinds of blingbling/gold except what any other woman does, Dominican or not, such as ear rings and a necklace. She looks pretty, yes, but does not stand out being that 'ravishingly good looking young chick'. To support her family at home, since about 3 years, she works in Switzerland in what is called here 'cabaret', i.e. a topless bar, essentially as a stripper (bad news, I know). She does not speak English and all her family live in Santiago.

Visa in Switzerland:
Citizen not holding a passport of a European Union country may work temporarily in Switzerland with certain types of visas. For DR girls the easiest to obtain is an L-type visa which allows them to work legally 3 months in one go in any given 6 months period. The type of work is also restricted to basically what swiss women would rather not do such as stripper (or 'dancer' as the like to see it themselves and as per what is stated in the contract).

The story:
The way we met does not bode well of course because we 'met' in a cabaret, beginning this year. Over time, after having met her many times and spending time with her including those days where she was 'off duty', we got closer. I support her financially. Needless to say, it all goes back home to her mum. Sure, it goes the Dominican way: her earnings here for her family + what I contribute. However, I do say 'no' and also keep telling her to plan her finances and that I will not (and have not) give her all she wants.

Around Easter this year I flew the first time to the DR, Santiago, and met her family. By the time that happened they moved to a nice house for rent (that I paid, some 300 francs per month, so, not much) which they did for me essentially. I was there 10 days because I just first wanted to get a glimpse of what they would be like; basically to just say 'hello'. They showed me around, we also went to the place where they lived before; a poor barrio with the typical simple concrete walled shacks with corrugated metal sheet roofs; certainly not the safest place on earth. They will keep that place and plan to rent it out. And yes, I was happy they moved out from there before I came. I would not have liked to stay there all the time (deliberately I did not want to stay in a hotel so that I can get to know them). While I was there they included me into all their activities and the house was always full because they wanted to meet me all of course. While there of course they wanted me to buy stuff for them. So, I bought a new big fridge (the old one was small and falling apart). Maria also wanted us to go to a resort because none of them ever went to one. I said ok, so a bunch of about 10 people went to a nice beach resort for two nights, all inclusive, which cost me just USD 1200 which was ok I thought and made them very, very happy.

My observations:
Life in the house is mostly hanging around and watching TV, day time is filled with people visiting, talking and household chores. Cleaning the house was shared among the younger women. Cooking is done by mum and also by others, larger cooking procedures seems to be shared by all, including a helping hand by the younger, unmarried brothers. Mum is the boss but does not need to do much to ascertain that position, all respected that (albeit being a terrible dancer, in particular to Latin tunes, I danced with her one evening at the resort as the 'thing I should do' so to speak). She also did most of the cooking, in particular for evening meals. Maria's oldest brother has job and family, the younger two were a bit useless lounging around mostly, occasionally doing stuff around the house, sort of 'handy men'. Saying 'thanks' and 'please' wasn't a concept they were familiar with. Considering their social background this probably isn't surprising. Funny was that they started doing so, albeit a bit reluctant and feeling a bit awkward doing so (macho thing I guess) after a while I was around.

However, THE undisputed sort of 'chief operating officer' of the house was Maria. She told everybody what to do and what not, organised the shopping (me being the 'pay master' of course), looked after the food supplies, made all the arrangements for transport (to the resort for example) determined who and who did not join the trip to the resort and so on. There was once a situation, lacking sufficient Spanish I did not fully understand what went on, were she became angry and harshly told off some members of the family calling them 'parasites'. (I was in the adjacent room and could not see to whom).

Now, this experience changed my perception of her and that she perhaps could be a wife (?????). She also said that she would like to settle and have a family, also considering her age.

The bummer:
Reason for her to come to Switzerland was making money of course to support her mum (family) and buy a house to get out of her 'peligrosso' barrio. At home they don't know what kind of work it is. When I asked her whether her mum knows she quickly responded 'Noooooo way'. Well, after a while of being with her she asked me to buy a house in a good barrio with a large garden fairly central in Santiago. For her mum and for 'ti y yo'. Here we are talking about much more than USD 20k as one poster quoted previously. So, what to do? First I said no, eventually I bought the house for her, in her name only. Crazy you would say (don't worry, it did not ruin me), but please hang on. Reason why, was an (indeed very expensive) test: would she run away, after the house was bought? She did not, not at all. I asked myself what is cheaper: buying a house now and her running away or her putting up a show until the marriage and the house may have happened and then run away. The latter being a lot more costly AND adding the legal hassle of divorce. (You could argue she wants the house AND also permanent residency in Switzerland and then she will run away. However, how far is one to go with mistrust which I expressed to her often enough anyway.)

The fallout - what to do???:
Now, after 10 months of seeing her (she is here now, working to fullfil her contract and then 'no m?s'), I am putting her through a crisis. A crisis is good because it brings out other sides of people. I told her that I do not like her asking me for money all the time. Because of that and all the cultural differences etc. I will end it. I told her she should not fret because the house is her's anyway (testing her).

Ok, this situation is hard to put into words how she reacted when I met her to tell her face to face. Anyway, she did not say much but just nodded quietly, 'knowingly that men are bad in general' and pulling a face; not crying but close to tears. I could easily tell. Genuine feeling? All fake? I am just not sure...

We use one of those instant phone messengers to communicate because she works here in the cabaret, night time, and live in a different town far away. Now she is asking me why all this and that she is 'muy triste' and that she thought we would be together 'siempre' and so on. So, she has not given up on me although I told her NO and keep telling her NO. I also stopped giving her money at all. But, she does not give up. Genuine? All just fake? I do not know for sure.

Again, my apologies for this 'novel' of mine but felt I had to do this because to me the whole situation is a bit of a mixed bag. Should I keep it the NO status and all is over or continue and, eventually, marry her so we can live together here in Switzerland and, so luck holds, live in that house over there once I retire? (Yes, there would be a pre-nuptial and ' separaci?n de bienes' or course and whatever else I can possibly do to make her 'cleaning me out' financially as difficult as possible. I told her that before.)

So, what do you think? What would you advise? But please let me know more than just one-liners 'you should run for the hills'. This isn't helping. Thanks & have a great weekend.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi folks, thanks to all for this terrific forum to get first hand information about the DR and its people, good or bad. This will be a long post as I have to lay it all out in front of you for a balanced opinion and advice as I met a woman from the DR. You will note that, perhaps, a case clear cut in the beginning is not as clear cut by the end going through the trouble having read all of it; at least not for me. First the facts, then the story:

About me:
48 years, working in a good position (development team lead in a microelectronics company) in Switzerland, spent the last 15 years working mostly outside Europe (where I am from) including third world countries. I relocated to a new country in average every 2 years, traveled a lot including backpacking trips of several months a long time ago. So, I've been around and know that life is not so great for a lot people in a lot of countries. Nightclubbing and going out as such (except with workmates for a beer after work occasionally) is not so much my thing anymore (tried online dating local folks, but, I'd rather stay by myself than having to deal with what I've met) and I heed the rule 'do not date co-workers'. Besides, there isn't much around the office for doing so anyway (electronics.. remember...).

So far never married, thus no baggage; my life had been interesting but too unsettled the past years so I never came around having a family of my own. However, this may or may not change as I now decided to stay put where I am. I am a normal looking dude, in good health and shape (hitting the gym twice a week). Meanwhile I do speak a bit of Spanish.

About her (Maria):
32 years of age, and pretty much the usual 'Dominican tale' - poor background, 4 years of school, father died long ago, 5 siblings, does not seem to have children of her own (that what she says. I know this may or may not be true, but let her give the benefit of doubt for the time being). No tattoos, does not drink (more on this below), does not smoke, does not wear all kinds of blingbling/gold except what any other woman does, Dominican or not, such as ear rings and a necklace. She looks pretty, yes, but does not stand out being that 'ravishingly good looking young chick'. To support her family at home, since about 3 years, she works in Switzerland in what is called here 'cabaret', i.e. a topless bar, essentially as a stripper (bad news, I know). She does not speak English and all her family live in Santiago.

Visa in Switzerland:
Citizen not holding a passport of a European Union country may work temporarily in Switzerland with certain types of visas. For DR girls the easiest to obtain is an L-type visa which allows them to work legally 3 months in one go in any given 6 months period. The type of work is also restricted to basically what swiss women would rather not do such as stripper (or 'dancer' as the like to see it themselves and as per what is stated in the contract).

The story:
The way we met does not bode well of course because we 'met' in a cabaret, beginning this year. Over time, after having met her many times and spending time with her including those days where she was 'off duty', we got closer. I support her financially. Needless to say, it all goes back home to her mum. Sure, it goes the Dominican way: her earnings here for her family + what I contribute. However, I do say 'no' and also keep telling her to plan her finances and that I will not (and have not) give her all she wants.

Around Easter this year I flew the first time to the DR, Santiago, and met her family. By the time that happened they moved to a nice house for rent (that I paid, some 300 francs per month, so, not much) which they did for me essentially. I was there 10 days because I just first wanted to get a glimpse of what they would be like; basically to just say 'hello'. They showed me around, we also went to the place where they lived before; a poor barrio with the typical simple concrete walled shacks with corrugated metal sheet roofs; certainly not the safest place on earth. They will keep that place and plan to rent it out. And yes, I was happy they moved out from there before I came. I would not have liked to stay there all the time (deliberately I did not want to stay in a hotel so that I can get to know them). While I was there they included me into all their activities and the house was always full because they wanted to meet me all of course. While there of course they wanted me to buy stuff for them. So, I bought a new big fridge (the old one was small and falling apart). Maria also wanted us to go to a resort because none of them ever went to one. I said ok, so a bunch of about 10 people went to a nice beach resort for two nights, all inclusive, which cost me just USD 1200 which was ok I thought and made them very, very happy.

My observations:
Life in the house is mostly hanging around and watching TV, day time is filled with people visiting, talking and household chores. Cleaning the house was shared among the younger women. Cooking is done by mum and also by others, larger cooking procedures seems to be shared by all, including a helping hand by the younger, unmarried brothers. Mum is the boss but does not need to do much to ascertain that position, all respected that (albeit being a terrible dancer, in particular to Latin tunes, I danced with her one evening at the resort as the 'thing I should do' so to speak). She also did most of the cooking, in particular for evening meals. Maria's oldest brother has job and family, the younger two were a bit useless lounging around mostly, occasionally doing stuff around the house, sort of 'handy men'. Saying 'thanks' and 'please' wasn't a concept they were familiar with. Considering their social background this probably isn't surprising. Funny was that they started doing so, albeit a bit reluctant and feeling a bit awkward doing so (macho thing I guess) after a while I was around.

However, THE undisputed sort of 'chief operating officer' of the house was Maria. She told everybody what to do and what not, organised the shopping (me being the 'pay master' of course), looked after the food supplies, made all the arrangements for transport (to the resort for example) determined who and who did not join the trip to the resort and so on. There was once a situation, lacking sufficient Spanish I did not fully understand what went on, were she became angry and harshly told off some members of the family calling them 'parasites'. (I was in the adjacent room and could not see to whom).

Now, this experience changed my perception of her and that she perhaps could be a wife (?????). She also said that she would like to settle and have a family, also considering her age.

The bummer:
Reason for her to come to Switzerland was making money of course to support her mum (family) and buy a house to get out of her 'peligrosso' barrio. At home they don't know what kind of work it is. When I asked her whether her mum knows she quickly responded 'Noooooo way'. Well, after a while of being with her she asked me to buy a house in a good barrio with a large garden fairly central in Santiago. For her mum and for 'ti y yo'. Here we are talking about much more than USD 20k as one poster quoted previously. So, what to do? First I said no, eventually I bought the house for her, in her name only. Crazy you would say (don't worry, it did not ruin me), but please hang on. Reason why, was an (indeed very expensive) test: would she run away, after the house was bought? She did not, not at all. I asked myself what is cheaper: buying a house now and her running away or her putting up a show until the marriage and the house may have happened and then run away. The latter being a lot more costly AND adding the legal hassle of divorce. (You could argue she wants the house AND also permanent residency in Switzerland and then she will run away. However, how far is one to go with mistrust which I expressed to her often enough anyway.)

The fallout - what to do???:
Now, after 10 months of seeing her (she is here now, working to fullfil her contract and then 'no m?s'), I am putting her through a crisis. A crisis is good because it brings out other sides of people. I told her that I do not like her asking me for money all the time. Because of that and all the cultural differences etc. I will end it. I told her she should not fret because the house is her's anyway (testing her).

Ok, this situation is hard to put into words how she reacted when I met her to tell her face to face. Anyway, she did not say much but just nodded quietly, 'knowingly that men are bad in general' and pulling a face; not crying but close to tears. I could easily tell. Genuine feeling? All fake? I am just not sure...

We use one of those instant phone messengers to communicate because she works here in the cabaret, night time, and live in a different town far away. Now she is asking me why all this and that she is 'muy triste' and that she thought we would be together 'siempre' and so on. So, she has not given up on me although I told her NO and keep telling her NO. I also stopped giving her money at all. But, she does not give up. Genuine? All just fake? I do not know for sure.

Again, my apologies for this 'novel' of mine but felt I had to do this because to me the whole situation is a bit of a mixed bag. Should I keep it the NO status and all is over or continue and, eventually, marry her so we can live together here in Switzerland and, so luck holds, live in that house over there once I retire? (Yes, there would be a pre-nuptial and ' separaci?n de bienes' or course and whatever else I can possibly do to make her 'cleaning me out' financially as difficult as possible. I told her that before.)

So, what do you think? What would you advise? But please let me know more than just one-liners 'you should run for the hills'. This isn't helping. Thanks & have a great weekend.

this is going to be fun!! INCOMING!!!

May 20, 2012
You are her only hope. And a big, big catch. So, no, she will not run away while there is any reason to think there is more gold in this mine AKA you. You did not give her a test AT ALL!! You just confirmed that you are the family support forever!!! And their definition of "family" will expand and expand.

Think !

And do not marry. No reason to do that. Dominicans rarely formally marry other Dominicans in this socioeconomic class. BUT they ALWAYS formally marry Gringos if they possibly can. Skip that and then when you are fed up with being used, it will be possible to go on with your life as long as YOU ( not she!!) use serious, bulletproof birth control.

Last edited:

NotSoWiseGuy

Nov 22, 2014
yes, skipping marriage would be great, but only with it can I get her here. The point is having a life together. Of course, if things don't work out so be it then and I just continue as I've done so far and stay single.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
If you realize that you are risking all the money you have or ever will have and that you have already seen the best of the way your life will go...i.e., things WILL get worse and more complicated; that's a fact, then by all means continue this relationship and make it legal through marriage. That way, she is even more likely to get most of your money. And why not have children with this woman that you already mistrust? That surely will cement the financial commitment completely! And, by the way, if you have ANY doubts about whether love is enough, please realize that it is not. Am I cynical? Yes. And I'm a woman!

May 20, 2012
Sadly, there is no test that will be definitive.

This is a major industry in the DR. MARRY A GRINGO. it's like top of the list when asking a Dominican in this socioeconomic group what their goal in life is! Both men and women. And everyone in her circle will assist her in this because if she succeeds, they ALL succeed. And they see this as perfectly moral and right to do. Put yourself in their position, you would likely do the same thing.

Find a wife another way. This is just hiring a wife and that isn't what you want.. You are looking for love, right? Well, not gonna happen. If you can settle for sex and companionship, hire that all day long here. But houses and supporting her family is not needed at all!! Just pay her by the hour or day or week and skip the drama. She will "love you" every bit as much as this woman. But when she gets greedy or pushy or starts asking for money for her mothers funerals (not a typo, I meant funeralS) you can find another one. Probably the same day.

Oh, and I'm a woman, too!!!!!!

@ The Weather is Here: what would be a good test then? Any ideas?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
A good test is that if you have to ask a bunch of strangers that don't know you or the girl then you SHOULD NOT get married. If you were sure you would NOT be asking.

You're story is too long for my attention span ;) how long have you been together in person? If less than 3 years forget it.

May 20, 2012
So when she has to leave, hook up with the new one who will take her place!! Easy peasy. She might be better looking, nicer, or whatever. Strip clubs don't hire ugly women, so your odds are very good.
yes, skipping marriage would be great, but only with it can I get her here. The point is having a life together. Of course, if things don't work out so be it then and I just continue as I've done so far and stay single.

May 20, 2012
Exactly!!! He knows it's a mistake if he's honest with himself.

A good test is that if you have to ask a bunch of strangers that don't know you or the girl then you SHOULD NOT get married. If you were sure you would NOT be asking.

You're story is too long for my attention span ;) how long have you been together in person? If less than 3 years forget it.

NotSoWiseGuy

Nov 22, 2014
So when she has to leave, hook up with the new one who will take her place!! Easy peasy. She might be better looking, nicer, or whatever. Strip clubs don't hire ugly women, so your odds are very good.
@ The Weather is Here
Sure, I could do that. But I do not want to do that. One will do for me perfectly. By the way, I forgot to mention this because it slipped my mind when writing my 'novel'. I've seen her papers (she wanted to marry while here and thus brought all papers along, with apostille etc.) that she really does not have children (unless DR is more corrupt than I think it is and whatever document you'll see it is all forged, including passports, birth certificates, criminal records and apostilles issued through the ministry of exterior/interior. But then one could assign 'failed state' status to the DR).

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Already too much drama and about to grow. 5 siblings plus spouses and kids and primos and everyone else. And especially their special primos...those you have too watch. Just kiss and say goodbye.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Well, I'll offer my rambling response.

You're both at the age to settle down. The age difference is reasonable. Kinda strange to not have any kids at that age given her social status. So she knows about family planning. That could be good or bad.

I got no issue with the exotic dancing. It's an opportunity available to her and she is supporting her family. Not very well until,you came along. Ca-ching! But as your wife how would she contribute to the marital purse? Would you have work as a waitress or house cleaner? Does she have any skills? Has she learned French? I imagine the Swiss german would be a big challenge, but any hisparlante can easily become a francophone at a rudimentary level.

At her age she would be a high risk pregnancy. Would she allow testing and are you both of the same mind if the fetus is unhealthy?

Have you scoured her Facebook? Who are her friends and who are their friends? What percentage of gringos post likes on her selfies of the new outfit you just bought her?

I've never been in a romantic relationship with a dominican. This whole "chica" concept was new to me. I never know if people are talking about actual prostitutes or some girl of a different social,status which implies gold digger. What woman with a choice would go for a poor ugly guy over handsome wealthy guy? There are many things that make a man attractive to a woman. We are mammals with instinct to find the best mate. Used to be the most violent man led the clan. Now security is attainable with money, not just land and a club. Why is it wrong for a woman to look on a dude with butt loads of money as a good match? I am just saying it doesn't automatically make her a bad person.

Would you want to spend time with her if she were always upright and clothes on? Does she make you laugh once a day? Once a week?

So she paraded you around and showed you off. I am sure it was the talk of the old neighborhood and the new one. Have you introduced her to your family? Do you go out as a couple with other couples n Switzerland? Do you take her to the same restaurants you always go to or out of the way places where people don't know you?

If you aren't serious do her the favor and cut her off. Her clock is ticking. If you care about her but don't want to be serious do her the courtesy of letting her know. Eventually our resident sage bard on dr1 will tell you to rent not buy. But we all know how tenants treat rented property.

On a curious note, I only see Internet prices on real estate and dominican Americans tell me how one can get a condo for 25k us$ and a house for fifty. Recently another thread showed a house in a prestigious neighborhood for 210000. Would you mind sharing some details in the house you bought?

So first you rented a family sized house just to hang with the family. Then you bought her a house and she has the title free and clear? Dude, you got a brother for me? Since I am fifty an uncle will do.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
@ Notsowiseguy.

Firstsome questions. Does she work on a L permit ?? Or B or C ?? If the latter it is good ( for you ), as she doesnt need you to stay in switzerland.

Also bear in mind that she is ALREADY in switzerland, one of the richest countries in the world...... a hige diffrence compared to dominicanas in dr who would smother their children in order to get there........

I would suggest cutting back on the finincial help. A stripper in a big swiss town can make 5 to 8k chf a MONTH !!!!!
She might not even need you.

Switzerland is buslting with men who either cannot find a good girl there ( cos they are old and/or poor and/or ugly ) or who do not want the hassle of a bossy, lazy swiss wife.......... it is a cartoon description but you get the idea.

So stop the finincial help. Set the limits. Tell her you will marry her, but not her family.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
A questions to those in gringo/dominican marriages? How do you deal with the cousins and nieces and siblings? Is it reasonable for this guy to say your mother and nobody else. I am not talking about the family dinner when cousins show up cuz you just got pounds of chicharron. I mean requests for money for tuition, antibiotics, a hundred dollar "loan". As a dominicana does she take the lead on the family or as the husband is the gringo in charge. Is it possible to support just the mother and nobody else? Do you have an amount in your head that you disperse over a year?

Notsowiseguy, just so you know in the dr gringo means almost anybody not dominican, not Latino. Poles, Germans, Americans and French are more or less gringos. Not just Americans of European descent.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
First of all, you've got a good age difference. She may actually see you as a MAN, and a good catch, contrary to other examples here where the guy is like 60 and his bride is in her teens..... and he still has the guts to ask people if she loves him.

A warning flag for me is the fact that she's a "dancer", but hey, you don't mind that.

Another red flag is that you've already bought a house and paid for 10 people to go to a resort. What that means is that the next big thing has to be BIGGER!Are you ready to keep up with those standards? If you don't fulfill their expectations, her family will label you as mean as stingy.

First, you have to understand that you can't forbid her to send money to her family. IF you think that you're going to marry her and along the way, she's going to stop helping them out, you're dreaming. She needs to help her family out because they helped her out too while she was here.

But if she really cares for you, she'll also try to understand where you're coming from. She will "protect" you from the parasites in her family and tell them to back off without making you look like the bad guy.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The last Maria I knew took the guy for over a 100K US...and we warned him it was a (train)wreck from the start...

About 99.8% of Dominican women in Switzerland are prostitutes, looking to hit it big. Many of them do..

Sex for them is like washing their hands. No more, no less...You get what you pay for.

The attitude might be unique for all I know/
Here is a verbatum conversation I over heard one day:

Chica 1: Y c?mo tu est?s saliendo con tantos ?mbres?

Chica 1: Y qu?? Uno goce un ch?n, gana cuarto y lavas con un jab?n de cuava y ya!"

Never marry a Dominican who does not have your level of education; your level of economic stability (in DOP$$ at least)
and does not have a bank account. at least a savings acct.

Rent, don't buy.

HB--being nice for a change..

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Man, she must have really hit your "G" spot. But just imagine how many other sweaty dudes she has accommodated. What makes you think you are that special guy ..........$$$$$$$$$
Just remember, one week after you get married, I can offer her 100 dollars and she will "love me" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.