Las Terrenas (advice/recommendations for equipment rental, etc. for 24 people)

Hughes2873

Nov 23, 2014
Group,

I am traveling to Las Terrenas with a group of 24 people from the United States. We are renting a villa in Playa Coson. This will be a mix of adults and children (8 years and older). I stayed in Las Terrenas last year with my family and loved it. So, I put together this larger trip of friends. Looking for some advice on the following subjects:

- Quad/ATV rentals (will likely need 6 of them for 1 week duration)
-Paddleboard rentals (will likely need 12 of them for 1 week duration)
- HobieCat or similar personal catamaran rentals (1 or 2 of them for 1 week duration. Our place is directly on beach, so I am guessing they could be stored in front of our place.)
-Waverunner/JetSki rentals (is it possible to rent these to be delivered to your rental villa? Unsure of how many, but would like to rent them for a duration of the week)
-Recommendations on the best way to transport a group of 24 people from Santo Domingo airport to Playa Coson, roundtrip.
-Parasailing recommendations?

Many thanks in advance for your posts and recommendations.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Annie,

Sometimes I don't get you. You have told me to come on down and everything will be fine. Now you tell these folks that there going to have problems. Do you want to help the area or not?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Annie,

Sometimes I don't get you. You have told me to come on down and everything will be fine. Now you tell these folks that there going to have problems. Do you want to help the area or not?

Not a question of helping the area. Certainly I want to help the area. I advised the OP to rent a villa closer to the Village and asked if he had been following the news. You, as I recall, already had a deposit down and would lose half if you cancelled, if I am right?

Since the first postings, I am simply learning more, that is all. The police, the army, and what is left of Luz y Fuerza are going to have to protect the electric grid for the 4 month transition over to public or semi public or whatever sort of arrangement that can be made. The protestors have said that they will keep the pressure on. From what I understand.. and mind you I have not been there, the poles were taken down on the road out to Playa Bonita.. and Coson..

Now, you perhaps do not know the Village but Coson is a long way from anywhere in the Village. It costs .. what.. about 200 pesos? by concho to go there? That was years ago. And it is foreign development. I do not know how the electric installations were paid for, if the people who first bought the properties out there had to pay Luz y Fuerza to bring the poles out to their property.. as, for instance, my brother had to do in France, forty years ago when he bought an abandoned farm.

Probably this was just a deal between Dominicans. The cost of the installation of that grid.. went onto the backs of the Village.

One of the things that makes the kwh in LT five times as expensive as anywhere else in the country.

Then with the power grid in. The Dominicans sold it off to the second set of thieves. Who subdivided,mapped some sort of survey.. NOTE this was all just palm trees.. State land..

By LAW the palm is protected so ALL of those developments are illegal.

NOT one palm should have been cut.

So.. ok,. then we have another set which maybe built the buildings.. French employing Dominicans employing Haitians who did the work..

Italians selling

sadly there was no German engineering involved.

Coson is remote and mosquito ridden

It is the least developed area.

There are Villas to rent right in the Village on Playa Ballenas..

I think that the odds of having serious black outs in Coson are high as are security risks.

I think that the OP posting that he is "bringing" a group of 24 including children of 8 years old into a town that was just recently under essentially

martial law.. 200 members of the REGULAR ARMY were in town did you not READ?

is just STUPID

Yes, It takes a while to get me. I am 67 and still have not completely gotten myself.

But usually I have pretty sound reasons behind what I say.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Las Palmas al Mar Residence | Come to Las Terrenas!

see now this would be a place for the OP which would be ok.

but I could not recommend Coson..

I do not know when the op is coming

I am sure that the Village will keep all the lights on for the holy days

but the MOST hated developments are

coson

and

playa
bonita

where there are nothing but foreigners

those will be the areas most at risk
most subject to black outs
most threatened

(I do actually KNOW the Village. I did actually LIVE there for two solid years. I do actually visit on a regular basis)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
there is no "equipment rental" in LT

I do not know what the OP is looking for or why he is thinking that this might be a good idea.

Cabarete might have what he is looking for, I do not know.

Certainly, he has never BEEN to LT and is not reading the news and is not, therefore, qualified to "bring" a group of 24 there.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
not to say that there are not some french people who hang out pretending to be divers who sell faulty masks

and others who sit on the side of road trying to sell stupid plastic toys

and perhaps they will stay for a while

but the French are basically hated in LT and most of them have the good sense to know that

So there will certainly be a lot of changes and things will not be the sorta

oooochiii coochhiii one love quebeqois son of a draft dodger techno festival mostique bar

that they once were

nor will there be so many haitian hookers coming in to find the old fat euro trash

who will also flee

taking with them all the cocaine cowboys that rode in with them

or.. well..

there probably will not be much light in the Village either

i am just speculating, of course, but i am a pretty good investigative journalist and know who is and who is not welcome...

bye bye bocce

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
not to say that there are not some french people who hang out pretending to be divers who sell faulty masks

and others who sit on the side of road trying to sell stupid plastic toys

and perhaps they will stay for a while

but the French are basically hated in LT and most of them have the good sense to know that

So there will certainly be a lot of changes and things will not be the sorta

oooochiii coochhiii one love quebeqois son of a draft dodger techno festival mostique bar

that they once were

nor will there be so many haitian hookers coming in to find the old fat euro trash

who will also flee

taking with them all the cocaine cowboys that rode in with them

or.. well..

there probably will not be much light in the Village either

i am just speculating, of course, but i am a pretty good investigative journalist and know who is and who is not welcome...

bye bye bocce

lady, you have a way with words; oh the imagery!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
To the OP , you may want to speak to your rental agency.
ATV are easy to find but during the holidays they go by superfast.
never seen jet ski in LT, not sure they are allowed (frankly Thank God).
paddle thingy I have seen them only on playa bonita.

If you are interested and could put you in touch with people who may be able to help you, just pm me.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Group,

I am traveling to Las Terrenas with a group of 24 people from the United States. We are renting a villa in Playa Coson. This will be a mix of adults and children (8 years and older). I stayed in Las Terrenas last year with my family and loved it. So, I put together this larger trip of friends. Looking for some advice on the following subjects:

- HobieCat or similar personal catamaran rentals (1 or 2 of them for 1 week duration. Our place is directly on beach, so I am guessing they could be stored in front of our place.)
-Waverunner/JetSki rentals (is it possible to rent these to be delivered to your rental villa? Unsure of how many, but would like to rent them for a duration of the week)
-Recommendations on the best way to transport a group of 24 people from Santo Domingo airport to Playa Coson, roundtrip.

ok.. let me track back to orginal..

my bad.. OP has been to LT and loves it.. So forgive me.
Already has made plans for Coson so good luck

have never seen a paddleboat in LT
there are hobie cats in playa ballenas but be careful, this is the Atlantic, not the Carribbean. One guy was taken out to the off shore island.. and so this is only for experienced sailors.

I do not think that they are going to let you take them to your place in Coson and I do not suggest you try a Hobie Cat from the beach in Coson unless you are well.. a qualified blue water sailor... and even then. This is not Punta Cana. This is not the Carribbean. I know lots of folks think it is.. but it is really the ATLANTIC ocean..and can be very rush. And Coson is the roughest beach of all. Only strong swimmers should go in it. As in PACIFIC ocean swimmers. Sure, this depends on the days and the weather .. but unless you have someone in your group who is like a trained PADI diver, or Red Cross lifesaver or the like.. take the kids and group into the Village to swim.. and hang at the beach and swim only where the locals are swimming.

There has been more than one tourist drowned on the beach at Coson.

(ok, team? Was that helpful enough? encouraging but also cautioning? I do want people to come and enjoy but I want them to understand what they are getting into )

no jet skis availables and i hope that they are banned in the entire island. they terrify the fish and damage the reef

airport transfer.. via taxis from LT .. I do not know how to get the Taxis guys from LT but maybe your rental agent has their number? They have vans so will come down and get you and know the roads.. safest and surest way

there is one place that does the parasailing, and does have equipment.. it is on Punto Poppy by One Love. They have experts there who will hook you up.

The biggest issue is going to be getting your ATVs so get your rental agent to hook you up as Africa said.

My personal apologies to you for saying anything offensive. However, do be aware that the Village was indeed recently under Military occupation by the Army.. something that really has never happened before .. so there are real concerns about safety.

Please pack these Family - Petzl | Sport there are probably knock offs available at Walmarts.. and pack a few extras as tips for any of the locals.. since there may be blackouts there which many have never experienced and are not prepared for.. ( and the outskirts of town.. thankfully, there are still no lights .. for the roads and these are absolutely priceless gifts.. you cannot buy them here for ANY amount of money

enjoy

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
if you are good swimmers, and know how to snorkel, you can bring a mask and snorkel.. there are shallow reefs accessible in front of the Colibri on Playas Ballenas and one quite wonderful one off Punta Poppy..

I think that I was mistaken .. when You said Parasailing, I thought you meant windsurfing.

There is no parasailing in LT.. I have seen it in Bayahibe, on the Caribbean side of the Island but not on the Atlantic.

All the water sports that you have mentioned are indeed available here in the DR, I think .. but on the Southern Coast .. which is the Caribbean, not in LT which is the Atlantic.

(listen, I have a really BRIGHT friend who LIVES there and did NOT know this.)

one side is the Atlantic.. then on the east is a wicked little bit of water called the Mona Passage to Puerto Rico

then on the SOUTH

the Caribbean Sea

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I think i am right about the parasailing, in that it is flying a parachute up in the air behind a speed boat?

This to me is about as terrifying an idea as having to parachute out of a 757 from 30,000 and the thought that people pay for the fun of it is beyond me..

but hey.. different strokes...

and.. of course.. yes.. there are JET skis on the South coast which can be taken out into DEEP WATER where there is no coral reef .....

so something for everyone.

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
try googling kiteworld in las terrenas. Not sure if it's allowed to post a web address here. When are you visiting? Sounds like things are calming down a bit in LT now.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The authorities are working to resolve the power company differences. Las Terrenas lives off tourism, so there is pressure for the internal difficulties within the company to not continue to spill out affecting others. I would think this pressure is happening in time for you to be able to come down and enjoy your vacation. Of course you could double check with the person that you have rented from.

I agree with you that Coson is a wonderful area to vacation in. You have the quiet waters of Playa Bonita, but nearby the fun waters of Coson. But this is a more natural beach, less all the motorized boating you are looking for. In my opinion, to do all that you would have vacationed in Punta Cana. You may need to change the expectations you are creating for the group. I think, though, that the fun waves of the beach will make all the difference. Practically all you need are body boards at most, but don't think these are necessary. The waters are great fun by themselves.

Suggest you rent a vehicle or two to transport your group. National Car Rental // Dominican Republic // Welcome
You could probably do with a van and then a smaller vehicle.

Also check out Samana attractions at:
http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Group,

First of all when are you coming? There have been problems with the local power company and people demonstrating including some acts of violence so if it is within the next month I would check with your rental to see what the electric status is. Baring no problems there, you can rent quads in Las Terrenas. You may be able to rent paddle boards on Playa Bonita. There is a hotel that rents surfboards. Perhaps they have some paddleboards. The only place I know that rents Hobie Cats would be in Las Terrenas at the Sailing Club. Whether they would let you take them to Playa Coson would be questionable. Forget about Jet Skis. I don't believe anyone in LT rents these and even if they did how would you keep them gassed up? One thing you need to be aware of is security. You can't really leave anything on the beach without the possibility of it disappearing. Make sure not to be bring a lot of cash, expensive jewelry or electronics. Gringos renting Villas are prime targets for theft. Hopefuly they have a safe at the villa. I have not seen any parasailing in LT, Coson or Bonita. This is not Cancun and many of the things you are considering are just not available. As far as transport from SDQ I would go on line and arrange this through a limo company. It will be expensive and with all the people and luggage you may need up to three vehicles. Obviously you want to have confirmed transportation waiting for you when you arrive. Where are you flying from? Coming into El Catey airport (AZS) would be a much better option, if possible, with that size group. From here you are 20 minutes away instead of 2hours and 15 minutes. I went on line and found a company called Dominican Shuttles with listing of contact numbers. I would check them out and see what type of transportation options they have an try to negotiate the pricing. If you havn't already done so check out the Samana Peninsula tourist guide on line on this site at the top of the Northeast thread. Sounds like with that many people it is a moveable party. Have fun, be safe and good luck.

Last edited: