Newbie contemplating moving to DR to semi retire

NeedToRelax

Nov 23, 2014
Hello,
Grew up in latin countries.
Canary Islands, Colombia, Peru, Trinidad, Equatorial Guinea and other tropical but not latin. Senegal, Congo, Angola and a few I've probably forgotten.
Considering moving to DR to semi retire. Maybe start some small business.
I'll be posting in the forums to get some expert advice.

Thanks

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Like any where, D.R. has good points and bad. Plenty of both. If you have relatives or friends (even acquaintances) here, to help ease the transition that would be a BIG help. Even if you are comfortable with the local dialect you could find yourself socially isolated if starting from scratch. I would recommend a trial period before committing.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I note your name need to relax This is not the perfect country in which to relax and quite frankly the number of casualties are very high when tryingto ooperate a small business here . My advice is to be very selective where you live and where you have a business .. I ,personally ,would say the odds are against you relaxing here in semi retirement

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Welcome to Dr1. Spend as much time as you can in country before you even think of starting a business. There's so much that a expats needs to understand about the culture to have a successful business here. Also don't take every piece of advice giving here, unless they are successful business owners already or long time residents.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Hello,
Canary Islands, Colombia, Peru, Trinidad, Equatorial Guinea and other tropical but not latin. Senegal, Congo, Angola and a few I've probably forgotten.

Thanks

Welcome aboard. Just curious, you've travelled quite a bit. Why have you chosen the DR to retire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
Hello,

Thanks
Welcome to DR1..
Not sure where you are coming from but you will find lots of advice on this forum..Some good ..some negative! If you are serious ..do come and spend a couple month first.Where you live will determine how relaxed you will be!! Feeling safe in your home should be number one priority!! If you still want to retire here after that ..plan on legalizing yourself..Cedula/Residency..time consuming and a cash outlay but nowhere near what is required for a lot of countries..I have heard some horror stories of what lawyers have charged people to do this!! We have a great lawyer if you need a referral!! ( NO I DO NOT GET A KICKBACK!!)
Wages are crap here so unless you can deliver something unique that a local cannot provide( for 50-100 RD an hour!!) I would just retire!! Enjoy..message me if you have any questions..

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

Thanks

Welcome. The DR can be a nice place to relax and retire. Opening a small business in the DR can be full of headaches unless you are doing something over the net. I"m assuming you have some language skills? If you have a small business dealing with the public you will need to speak Spanish. I would check out Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. Go to the Northeast Thread on this website and look at the tourist guide at the top of the page. There are many Europeans, Canadians and some Americans that live here. Good luck.