Coming to Sosua Soon

ScriptySandy

Nov 26, 2014
Hi all...

I am new to this page ... very happy to have found you!

I will be travelling to the DR and staying in Sosua from Dec 8 - Jan 9. I didn't know much of anything about the town before I booked other than it had a great beach and has some very well priced condos! I decided I'd like to come and see the area and look at some properties with an eye to my semi-retirement in a few years. Once I had my tickets and accommodation booked I started to do some more research. Now I am a bit worried.

I am staying at a place right on the main street next door to City Lights nightclub over a bakery. The place and the owners seem lovely and I am not concerned about that. What I am concerned with is my safety as a single woman in the town, especially after dark. I travel a lot, especially to the Caribbean so am aware of basic safety precautions (no jewelry, purse in front, aware of surroundings etc) but I am wondering if you can tell me if I will be safe in Sosua after dark.

I am an admitted beach bum and love to lay on a chaize all day and read, swim, etc. I have read that the beach vendors are many and a constant bother. Is that true? I am exhausted from 5 months of 14 hour work days and am really looking forward to some serious R&R on the beach and being constantly harassed by vendors will not be welcome. Is there anything one can do to deter them? Earphones? Book? Sleeping??

Also, as a single traveller, I would love to be able to meet up with some people there - maybe expats from wherever... friendly types. I'm not much of a drinker or partier, but I love to sit with people over a drink and some food and get to know them and hear their stories, maybe play a game of Mexican Train. Are there places whereI can go and meet friendly people?

When I was in Grenada for a month last year, there was a restaurant at a resort that had "Friendship Table Night" where you could share a meal, family style, with strangers who ended up being friends. Is there anywhere that does this sort of thing in Sosua?

I hope I get to meet some of you when I am there! I enjoy travelling alone because it is a great way to meet others. :classic:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
What I am concerned with is my safety as a single woman in the town, especially after dark [...] if I will be safe in Sosua after dark.

I don't feel that it is any more or less safe than most Latin American or Caribbean countries. The thing with the DR is, violent crime isn't as much of a concern. Petty crime and con artistry are quite high. You'll be safe, your possessions, pride, and money may not be. If you do the things you mentioned as regards to personal safety and not being a target, you should be just fine. My wife often goes out in Sosua after dark, and does not feel threatened. I have taken my kids downtown at night, and it has been just fine. You will get harassed by moto conchos and cat calling is pretty common, but this is nothing more than a nuisance.

I have read that the beach vendors are many and a constant bother. Is that true? Is there anything one can do to deter them?

Yes, they are horrible. The best beach to not be harassed at is Playa Alicia. Playa Sosua is ridiculous, and so is Cabarete Beach. My best advice is to just say "no gracias" and look away. Also, do not do during quiet times. The more gringos there are to bother, the less you will be bothered.

Also, as a single traveller, I would love to be able to meet up with some people there - maybe expats from wherever... friendly types.

You'll probably best accomplish this by posting on, or messaging people on the Sosua and Cabarete Facebook pages, or taking lessons like surfing, diving, ect.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Four weeks only in Sosua/Cabarete will be boring. I suggest a few days in Samana (Las Terrenas, Las Galleras), maybe a trip to Santo Domingo, Santiago, ...

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
there are plenty of expat bars between your apartment & the beach, so finding somebody to chat with will not be a problem. The ones that spring to mind are Britannia Pub & Jolly Roger & Checkpoint for the English speaker.
As mentioned Playa Alicia is quieter but there are nasty riptides there so not really for swimming

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Welcome. You will enjoy Sosua and day trips onto Cabarete and Puerto Plata. You will be as safe as anyone else and some of us choose to live here so it's not as bad as some make it out to be. There is petty crime as mentioned already. Leave your passport in your condo. Carry a photo copy of it in your pocket/purse. Do not give your passport to anyone. Photo copies only. Sometimes hotels, car rental agencies want a passport as collateral. You don't need the hassle of trying to get it back if a less than honest person wants to get their rental car repainted on your dime.

You'll be here long enough that you can hit all of the beeches and make up your mind which one is your favorite. Lot's of English speaking expats and tourists here. As mentioned lots of gathering places within walking distance to meet other visitors and while away the time while your sunburn heals.

Do not buy property here and do not waste your vacation time looking at real estate. Do not even think of buying property until you have lived here for at least a year. Buying is easy, selling is difficult if you choose the wrong place in the wrong place. Renting is much easier and less stressful.

Bring ear plugs. You are here during party season and it can get loud downtown and you'll appreciate being able to reduce the din to a comfortable level if you want to have a nap or sleep through a nightly festivity.

See you in the bars...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
expats from wherever? why waste your time and money going to a country if you just want to meet people like yourself?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
coming to sosua

Women are much safer than men, in my opinion. At least hookers don't crawl all over women....as a rule. As long as one exercises the usual caution (hold onto your bag, be aware at ATMs, don't get so drunk that you can't see when you go out), you should be fine.

As far as vendors are concerned, a firm "no, gracias" and no eye contact does the trick.

Why do you want to meet ex-pats? We're a horrible bunch. If what you mean is English-speakers, you have plenty of options.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Welcome. You will enjoy Sosua and day trips onto Cabarete and Puerto Plata. You will be as safe as anyone else and some of us choose to live here so it's not as bad as some make it out to be. There is petty crime as mentioned already. Leave your passport in your condo. Carry a photo copy of it in your pocket/purse. Do not give your passport to anyone. Photo copies only. Sometimes hotels, car rental agencies want a passport as collateral. You don't need the hassle of trying to get it back if a less than honest person wants to get their rental car repainted on your dime.

You'll be here long enough that you can hit all of the beeches and make up your mind which one is your favorite. Lot's of English speaking expats and tourists here. As mentioned lots of gathering places within walking distance to meet other visitors and while away the time while your sunburn heals.

Do not buy property here and do not waste your vacation time looking at real estate. Do not even think of buying property until you have lived here for at least a year. Buying is easy, selling is difficult if you choose the wrong place in the wrong place. Renting is much easier and less stressful.

Bring ear plugs. You are here during party season and it can get loud downtown and you'll appreciate being able to reduce the din to a comfortable level if you want to have a nap or sleep through a nightly festivity.

See you in the bars...

party season? every day in the DR is party season. there are bars in this country where guys are seated at 1pm, going through a raft of Presidentes. and that is Tuesday.

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
wow. I would not want to stay right on the main drag for a month. good luck getting any sleep. it will be noisy.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
constantly harassed by vendors will not be welcome. Is there anything one can do to deter them? Earphones? Book? Sleeping??:

It won't be a problem. Just don't look at them, don't even glance. At most do a small hand gesture to wave them off. Or do the Annoyed Dominican Finger wag. But ignore them. After a day or two they'll leave you alone.

A beach chair guy will latch on to you and bring you whatever you need. A small tip at the end of each day and he'll take good care of you. He would even keep the vendors away if you asked him.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I never find vendors that much of a problem on Sosua beach itself. More of a hassle while walking past the shops and bars at the back, but just keep walking with a polite "no gracias". As for sleeping on the beach - use your bag as a pillow. An acquaintance of mine had his wallet stolen while asleep on the beach. Incidents like that aren't common, but like any tourist destination, they can happen.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
ctrob is right as far as the vendors. As they approach, don't ever look at them/make eye contact. Without raising your head, shake it 'no' and wave your index finger at them. They'll get the message quickly.

ScriptySandy

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks for all the advice! By ex-pats, I guess I mean English speakers... I am open to meeting anyone I can communicate with!

Great to know about the beach chair guys. I definitely will take advantage of that! What is a 'small tip' amount? And if he will keep the vendors away that would be amazing because even having to keep saying 'no gracias' or waving them off when trying to read or nap or just relax is more interruption that is welcome.

I have good earplugs so hoping I can get some sleep!

And I am not going to buy any property... just looking with an eye to future semi-retirement. I'd like to own a place somewhere in the Caribbean and I have been to several islands and have several more to explore before I decide. I usually spend a month in each place to get a 'feel' for it and take a look at some real estate to get an idea if the properties are being honestly represented and what sort of areas/neighborhoods they are really in. I am a good 5-8 years off making a decision. Just gathering info right now.

I thought about taking a few days in Samana. Just not sure how I would get there. I have read that there is a bus ... I'd have to check that out.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
ScriptySandy, I don't know you and I don't know what you are looking for in a vacation. The architecture of the house above the bakery is lovely, and the bakery itself is great, but City Lights is a major whore bar that is open very loud and very late. I was in the neighborhood with friends just last night, coming home from elsewhere, and the minute we passed it, I flashed on your post. If it's not too late, if I were you (just sayin') I'd reconsider.