Great money transfer

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
I just used RIA for the first time. U.S. bank account to Caribe Express. It costs $2.00 (2 bucks) and took 6 days. All in dollars. First they did a Paypal type security check. Went very smoothly. I have now done three transfers and since I am not in a hurry I will not use Xoom any more.

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
Not a shareholder, no interest in the company. I just don't like doing my SS transfer through Banreserva and would rather pay a couple dollars and have the flexibility to travel and get money wherever I am. Simple. Don't be so skeptical.

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
One other side note. To get the SS transfer here in the Dominican I had to establish my address as here(a pain). Then to get Medicare Advantage I had to change my address back to the states. To make that change I had to be in the states(pain) So now I have Med Adv and my money sent here. Works for me. And when I travel I can send money to myself anywhere I go very cheaply. Otherwise I have to draw it from Banreserva with a physical withdrawal.(pain)

May 20, 2012
So you received US$ at Caribe Express? Not pesos?
I just used RIA for the first time. U.S. bank account to Caribe Express. It costs $2.00 (2 bucks) and took 6 days. All in dollars. First they did a Paypal type security check. Went very smoothly. I have now done three transfers and since I am not in a hurry I will not use Xoom any more.

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
All done in dollars. I did convert to pesos at 44...but that was optional. I was notified via e-mail when the pickup was available and Caribe called too. The cost to send $2000.00 is the same $2.00

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
Not a shareholder, no interest in the company. I think the company is run by Indians...as in from India. I wished I owned it. Think, 10,000 people a day around the world making transfers at $2.00 each (probably most would cost more) is $20,000 a day and $600,000 per month. The service is automated after the account is set up. Wish I'd of thought of it first. Obviously barker1964 didn't either. (And even if I owned the joint 100% it would still stand as the best deal in town for money transfer)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Not a shareholder, no interest in the company. I think the company is run by Indians...as in from India. I wished I owned it. Think, 10,000 people a day around the world making transfers at $2.00 each (probably most would cost more) is $20,000 a day and $600,000 per month. The service is automated after the account is set up. Wish I'd of thought of it first. Obviously barker1964 didn't either. (And even if I owned the joint 100% it would still stand as the best deal in town for money transfer)

But, it took six days? XOOM takes six minutes. Maybe you mean after the account is set up it is more fast.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
That's good news. We have to pay our rent here in US$. That will save me the conversions. Thanks!!

i always pay in d.pesos....if my landlord wants dollars...he can go buy them...sorry but thats a bad deal for you....if you rented last year for 20kmonth, your rent would still be 20k month and you actually would be paying alot less.... laughing as you paid your rent...

May 20, 2012
I would have preferred pesos, but that was the contract offered. Just started this 6 month rental and when in low season, I'll be in better position to negotiate....bad timing for us ..
i always pay in d.pesos....if my landlord wants dollars...he can go buy them...sorry but thats a bad deal for you....if you rented last year for 20kmonth, your rent would still be 20k month and you actually would be paying alot less.... laughing as you paid your rent...

BigTex

Sep 8, 2013
XOOM nails you with a exchange rate that sucks. The bank rate was 43.9, but XOOM was offering something like 42.5. Not worth it! I have a Capital One 360 checking account that offers 0% fee and the rate is when the balance posts to the account. The hold on the account was at 43.9, but the actual rate when it posted was 44. Of course this could have easily been the reverse...

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
To Weather is here- Figure Xoom at 3% net. $2000 per month is about a $60 cost. With Ria it is $2.00. Six or seven day wait means nothing to me. I don't see much change over a six month period in the Peso/Dollar ratio. Just a few dollars really on rental contracts. 'CHIC' says you are getting screwed-I pay about the same as you and over six months it is no big deal. (extra note-RIA is not faster after the account is set up. It still takes 6 or 7 days. For 2 bucks they can take two weeks as far as I am concerned)

May 20, 2012
Thanks for the extra information.

Once I can get it started, the week wait is acceptable. What I really dislike is Banco Popular holding my money for 30 days when I deposit a check. I can see it clear my USA bank within one day! So BP just holds onto it for no reason other than to have an interest free loan!! The 7 days will be a huge improvement; I just need to get it started and remember to do in advance.

I just set up my account. Now waiting for the deposits to confirm. Do you recall how long that took?

It appears that I am limited to transferring US$2999 at a time, right?

I think I will set up my debit card too, but that's lots more expensive if you do a larger dollar amount. Will only use that if I end up in a hurry.

Using a debit card, for small amounts, their fee is similar to an ATM fee. Looks like for larger $$ amounts, the ATM limits (and therefore require multiple transactions) could even make the fees fairly equal. Depending on the ATM, time of day and phase of the moon.

To Weather is here- Figure Xoom at 3% net. $2000 per month is about a $60 cost. With Ria it is $2.00. Six or seven day wait means nothing to me. I don't see much change over a six month period in the Peso/Dollar ratio. Just a few dollars really on rental contracts. 'CHIC' says you are getting screwed-I pay about the same as you and over six months it is no big deal. (extra note-RIA is not faster after the account is set up. It still takes 6 or 7 days. For 2 bucks they can take two weeks as far as I am concerned)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
XOOM nails you with a exchange rate that sucks. The bank rate was 43.9, but XOOM was offering something like 42.5. Not worth it! I have a Capital One 360 checking account that offers 0% fee and the rate is when the balance posts to the account. The hold on the account was at 43.9, but the actual rate when it posted was 44. Of course this could have easily been the reverse...

You are right about the Xoom exchange rate. Way low. This is how they make their money. I only use it when I have to. And, thanks for the info about the Cap One checking account. No foreign transaction fees.

There is the mastercard "coss border" fee but I think it is minimal. Don't remember.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I have a monthly note that is for 3000 pesos. When it started it was $78.39 and now it is just below $70.00 per month by a few cents. When I rented the house I am in it was $200.00 a month at 8000 pesos, now it is closer to $185.00

how many hamburgers for 15$...you save money because you dont eat more hamburgers...just because u have an extra 15$...