TV repair person

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You could try Victor, next door to Delancer in Sosua. The fact that it doesn't turn on, probably means that there is a problem with the power supply board. And the most common cause of this is blown capacitors due to the bad electricity we get here.

Aug 6, 2006
I think a tech would start with the off/on switch and work from there. The power supply is the next thing to check. This is essentially a transformer that steps down the voltage and changes AC to DC. These are prone to failure.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Samsung TV's are notorious for bad power boards. The culprit is 4 capacitors of incorrect voltage ratings that were factory installed. I replaced the 4 caps with 25v rated (they were bulging and leaking) back in Canada on a 40" LCD and the TV worked fine after that. I had never done anything like that before so I was really surprised it actually worked.
I found out how to do it with a simple google search and then a Youtube video showed me how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0id3-YZsQ

I understand it may be difficult to get everything you need here but at least you will be informed when talking to a repairman.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=samsung+power+supply+repair

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
HR,

Good luck. I owned a Samsung TV not all that long ago. It was 3.5 years old when it broke. No replacement parts were available (this was in Canada) and the only option was to have the tech rebuild the blown projector. I opted to purchase a new TV. If you find yourself in the same situation needing to replace the device, I'd recommend avoiding Samsung for TVs even though their pricing is usually much cheaper than Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba etc.

IMHO, Samsung has wholeheartedly embraced the planned obsolescence business model for their consumer home electronics products.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have a Toshiba with the exact same problem. It isn't the brand. I think it has something to do with the power and or the inverser in my house. When I came back in October I had 2 TV's that wouldn't turn on and just about every light bulb blown. The microwave soon went. It would be so much easier if the whole house blew up.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have a Toshiba with the exact same problem. It isn't the brand. I think it has something to do with the power and or the inverser in my house. When I came back in October I had 2 TV's that wouldn't turn on and just about every light bulb blown. The microwave soon went. It would be so much easier if the whole house blew up.

Do you notice light bulbs flickering at night after they have been turned off? I have a phantom power problem at mi casa and suspect it is related to not having a grounding wire or maybe a faulty inversor hookup.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

This.

There was reason electronic dies on second floor. First floor everything works fine, but I don't know how many stuff got thrown out on second floor. These days I only try to charge our phones on second floor and it's impossible to do so and it eats up batteries, charger and cables like AA batteries on my son's toys. I recently had to buy new battery and 5 new cables and chargers from Amazon.com few months ago. And the battery still never gets charged on 2nd floor and now I have only two chargers that is kind of functioning. I should have known, when all the fans had humming sounds, two of exact model of alarm clock that were perfect in States are never showing correct time and had to replace two power supplies for almost never used PC and other small electronics...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you notice light bulbs flickering at night after they have been turned off? I have a phantom power problem at mi casa and suspect it is related to not having a grounding wire or maybe a faulty inversor hookup.

Most inverters generate a square wave output instead of the sine wave power provided by the utility. Many digital clocks will not keep time on square wave power. Or if they do seem to work will gain or lose time on the inverter because the power is not exactly 60 Hz. Depending upon the design of the power supply in an appliance, that power supply may overheat on square wave power and burn out more quickly. Of course an improperly grounded system, low voltage, high voltage, or spikes from the utility are all other potential problems. We have had TVs blown out because of lightning strikes to the Cable line.

Delancer in Sosua might be able to repair the TV. There are some others in Puerto Plata as well such as:

Luis Jose Estrella
Owner at Servicio de Radio Y Television
809-586-2557
12 de Julio #164, Puerto Plata, Puerto Plata

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
windeguy,

I see all of those conditions at my place from time to time.

koreano,

sounds like you are not getting 120V to the second floor if batteries don't charge. Fans humming - not enough energia (motors straining to turn and get up to speed).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think a tech would start with the off/on switch and work from there. The power supply is the next thing to check. This is essentially a transformer that steps down the voltage and changes AC to DC. These are prone to failure.

actually, transformers don't change ac to dc. that would be a rectifier, made up by a bunch of diodes. the power supply would be the power transformer sending ac to the bridge rectifier, then to the storage capacitors, then to voltage regulators. so there are quite a few things that can be awry.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
koreano,

sounds like you are not getting 120V to the second floor if batteries don't charge. Fans humming - not enough energia (motors straining to turn and get up to speed).

Yes,

I realized there was a problem but with experiences and knowing my luck with electricity here, I am going to let it be. I can afford to be without any electricity for more then a day. I am finally getting normal under $5000 bills now, not $10k bills that we were getting for months. I am going to buy couple of those wireless charging case & pads and set it up down stair. hook up cheap phones I am using in US and have it as alarm clock and call it a day.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had the same "won't turn on " problem with a fairly new TV, I forget the brand because the store took it back. Read some reviews and found out its a common problem

We replaced it with a Philips and so far no problems after 3 years

As far as the flickering lights, we have the same problem in DR and it drives me nuts. We do have a whole house voltage regulator but we have to check the grounding

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My container has made it to SD. Inside is my multimeter. When I get my hands on that, I'll finally be able to figure out just what's going on en mi casa - I shudder when I think about it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
aahhh..... the container...

as promised ... about the 5th

oooo Buster..... you'll be peligroso when you get your 'kit'

when you fetch the precious cargo ?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I asked an "electrician" about grounding and he told me it wasn't needed. Also my laptops will give a mild low voltage shock if you are barefoot on the floor and touch the metal parts on the side. Normal he says but never it happened before the inversor. I want to install a ground wire but not sure where to connect it since none of the outlets have a ground wire. Would grounding to the main panel work?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I have an outlet which will power a lamp, but won't charge up electronics. My tablet while plugged in to that outlet will stay on, but will barely charge up. Goes form 12 % to 15 % over night where as other outlets charge it in 3 hours from 12% to 100%.

This is exactly what I go through every night but it's different from time to time. My phones have very different behaviors on second floor. Some have no problem charging and other drains the battery. YES drains battery. 15% quickly becomes 8% and eventually left with 0% within minutes and few days later with same charger and outlet it charges without problem. Like I said we have two good cables left out of dozen that we had brought or purchased. And go though hell when ever one mess with each other's chargers because it's our phones but also an alarm clock.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Grounding is more complicated than you might think

[video=youtube;qNZC782SzAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZC782SzAQ[/video]