Christmas in Las Terrenas

Jadihel24

Oct 20, 2014
Hi All- I'm going to be spending christmas in LT this year and I'm wondering what the scene is like. I'm from the US but my family is from Bonao and I've spent years traveling to DR including doing my thesis work on Afro-Dominican Identity. I mention this just to say that I'm very familiar with the culture. However, no one in my family has spent much time in LT so I'm just curious how festiv it is during christmas or if there are any particular events, performances, celebrations etc... that me and my wife can expect. Thanks for your thoughts once again!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...I hear the locals have already started dancing in the streets, every housed is ablaze with light and the sounds of merriment echo across the area at all times of the day and night.

Look on DR1 for the recent threads about the power company problems in LT and be aware of what has just transpired. The past can be a harbinger of the future, not always, but sometimes. Knowledge is power (pun intended).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi All- I'm going to be spending christmas in LT this year and I'm wondering what the scene is like. I'm from the US but my family is from Bonao and I've spent years traveling to DR including doing my thesis work on Afro-Dominican Identity. I mention this just to say that I'm very familiar with the culture. However, no one in my family has spent much time in LT so I'm just curious how festiv it is during christmas or if there are any particular events, performances, celebrations etc... that me and my wife can expect. Thanks for your thoughts once again!

In a normal year things are usually very festive in LT but if you are not aware there have been major problems with the local electric company, that have not been resolved, and having the power on continuously has been an issue. Hopefully by Christmas week the situation will improve. You might want to check where you are staying to find out more. Typically the week of Christmas is very busy with many tourists coming into town. There are many bars and restaurants and the usual live music venues. I would suggest going to lt7.com, which is the on line copy of the local bi-weekly paper. You can see what is happening. Good luck and be safe.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
@OP: You might want try lt-7.com
Las Terrenas will be lively during the holidays (many tourists foreign) and many Capitalenos.

Steve, as the LT representative, get your link right please :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
@OP: You might want try lt-7.com
Las Terrenas will be lively during the holidays (many tourists foreign) and many Capitalenos.

Steve, as the LT representative, get your link right please :)

LT will be very lively at this time of the year.

the reason, you ask?

Africaida will be in town. nuff said.

Jadihel24

Oct 20, 2014
LTSteve- Do you have an email adress that I could reach you at? I have more questions about the state of LT that I don't necessarily want to open to a larger discussion. Thank you

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Expert Afri

You may want to reach out to DonP or Squat instead who do live in LT.

Afri, I do not know what kind of information they need.
In case it's nightlife and intercultural relations, I'd recommend that you chime in... :lick:

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Overestimating

Afri, I do not know what kind of information they need.
In case it's nightlife and intercultural relations, I'd recommend that you chime in... :lick:

donP

LMAO :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Nightlife may be (Where is SalsaFan when we need him ?)
Intercultural relations? no way, that's your field :lick:

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hardly an expert ...

You mean, you do not even talk to them bruddas 'n' sistas?????? :rolleyes:

donP

My brotha lives in Paris, no sista to this day (lost hope) :smoke:
I probably know more French in LT than Dominicans (but my unconditional love remains for my beloved ni?era/trabajadora)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Take this guide with you and follow the recommendations. Everything that has been included is worth a visit.
Recommendation is to not book one hotel, but rather three -- one in the Samana City area, another in Las Galeras and a third in Las Terrenas. Of course you will need at least 5 days, better six days or more. The reason for the different hotels is that the driving distances are long between one area and another in Samana. The guide was written with this in mind so that you can see what each area has and then move on to the next area.

http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
We just drove thru town and I was surprised by all the Christmas lights that are already up..... even on the police station! There were so many people sitting across from Banco Popular, just facing the street, I thought they were waiting for a parade! :) There are always a couple Christmas programs at El Paseo, check LT-7 for dates+times.... and I believe the power company demonstrations are on a holiday hiatus ;).

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I've spent Christmas in the Cibao very close to Bonao several times and in my experience it would much livelier than LT will ever be at this time of year.

But LT is a tourist destination essentially and not real DR. A compromise but should be fun.

Why did you not go to Bonao for some of the time? Lovely small town. Great rivers. Party place. Best chicas.
And much cheaper.