How Not to Miss the Samana Hwy Turnoff?

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Dear Dr1ers/expert drivers,

I fear the directions I give our rental guests arriving to SDQ are inadequate, as they often miss the turnoff to the Samana Highway and end up lost in the city. And despite my pleas that they arrive to the much easier POP (to Cabrera) it is not always possible, especially from Europe, I guess.

I don't suppose anyone has a photo of that very little sign? It just says "Samana", right? Not "Hwy 7"? (If someone is passing by in the next day or so, maybe you could post one)?! I see in past blogs it is just past the tolls, which I did not recall. About how many clicks or minutes would you say it is from exiting the airport?

My guests are arriving at 18:00.....I pray they have a smooth rental car check-in to get them quickly on the road to Cabrera...and hopefully at least onto the highway during daylight.

I wonder, too, to whom might we appeal to get a big sign made?! All those billions spent....and not even a nice sign! Or maybe we could all chip in?!

Thanks so much....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just stay all the way to the right when you pass the tollbooths and the road goes along the side of the Hwy. Then about 3 KM or more on your right is the entrance to the Hwy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
what I can suggest is to stay in the right lane and go sloooowly

its a small sign reading 'Samana', as you say -
and yes, I think its just past the toll booth.... on the right

18:00 arrival and a car pick-up will be darkish.... then the drive

have them get 500 pesos for tolls (its just over 400 actually)
the car will be empty, 2-3,000 more for gas, depending on the car

just 5-10 minutes to the road to Samana from SDQ, then an hour on the toll road
another hour from the end to Cabrera - remember to get the right turn/angle in Nagua - Hwy 5
80-90 minutes to POP airport from Cabrera

my friends have done.... not in the dark.... just over 3.5 hrs to POP airport... is my guess

won't Google maps do it for you?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Directions: Coming from the airport: Stay on the very very right lane as you go through the toll booths. There is actually a road just before the toll booths which they can also join. Immediately after the toll booths, they need to leave the highway. Continue until the road goes down into an underpass and then goes back up. Immediately on the right is a Caribe Tours garage, turn right there.

Coming from Santo Domingo City: Stay on the left lane of the highway. The road splits so you can't see the left side (oncoming traffic). The second time it splits, stay in the left lane and go down the slope into the tunnel, this looks like a service road. It is signed Samana Carril Izquierda, the sign is now reasonably big. At the bottom of the slope, turn left and left again, then right at the Caribe Tours garage.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Spot on Paul....stay very right and slow after toll booths and exit right on poorly signed almost non existent exit and follow road parallel to highway for a few miles until underpass and take the turn to Samana. The taxi drivers joke about the incredibly poor signage.....welcome to the DR!!!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
it'll be a tough drive in the dark

cows, and such.... even on the toll road

sorry to say

I am with you 100% on this one. That will be one tough drive for a newbie once it gets dark. I know the highway and doubt I would want to make that drive.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
A several months ago it was reported on Dominican Today that there were some robberies near Monte Plata and after Peage #3 late at night so guys I would forget any journeys on the Juan Pablo#2 (Samana) highway after dark. Late arrival = local SD/BC hotel and then transfer to NE Coast.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Dear Dr1ers/expert drivers,

I fear the directions I give our rental guests arriving to SDQ are inadequate, as they often miss the turnoff to the Samana Highway and end up lost in the city. And despite my pleas that they arrive to the much easier POP (to Cabrera) it is not always possible, especially from Europe, I guess.

I don't suppose anyone has a photo of that very little sign? It just says "Samana", right? Not "Hwy 7"? (If someone is passing by in the next day or so, maybe you could post one)?! I see in past blogs it is just past the tolls, which I did not recall. About how many clicks or minutes would you say it is from exiting the airport?

My guests are arriving at 18:00.....I pray they have a smooth rental car check-in to get them quickly on the road to Cabrera...and hopefully at least onto the highway during daylight.

I wonder, too, to whom might we appeal to get a big sign made?! All those billions spent....and not even a nice sign! Or maybe we could all chip in?!

Thanks so much....

I will chip in $10 . . .

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Arrival at 18:00 means out the door at 19:15 if they are lucky. By that time it is dusk/dark.

If they've not driven in the DR before than that trip in the dark should not be their first

It is just not a good idea, not only because of the bad signeage for the turn-off. Driving in the dark on the highway can be ok, but navigating Nagua and the subsequent coastal road in pitch darkness with people, motos and livestock all without light is a recipe for disaster.

Totally not recommended and fact irresponsible from my POV.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I would agree on delaying departure till the next morning....a nice relaxing night in an hotel in santo domingo would be the best bet ...a nice breakfast and head off with full daylight and hours to spare

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am with you 100% on this one. That will be one tough drive for a newbie once it gets dark. I know the highway and doubt I would want to make that drive.

oddly, my closest call has been on that road - in daylight.
a run-away bull almost got me

nad as said above , night time crime can be a problem , especially in December

There is nice place just east, before Boca Chica that I have stayed at.

The drive is very pretty.... in daylight

A much better welcome for guests..... espec after a European flight
they'll be tired

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hello there, the best way is inmediatly you pass by the toll to take the marginal street in las Americas, there is an access right away you pay the toll. and for sure you wont miss Samana Highway.

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Thanks so much, guys. I really appreciate it. I think I will recommend overnighting in SD, and hitting the road in the A.M. Or, WW, what is the place near Boca Chica that you mentioned? And thanks for the 10 bucks, reilleyp! Anyone else?! Thanks again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lefty
I can't remember the name but its in a gated , golf community and is an excellent hotel - about $100US as I remember.

maybe someone from the area can get the name -- its been years since i stayed there

Google Maps might have it on there

The other place - on the way to SD is awful, they say....$$$$ and terrible

Aug 6, 2006
There are a lot of hotels in Boca Chica, of varying prices and quality. I am sure there are a number of posts in this forum.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
For guests or tourists arriving after dark

You can't miss it if you take a taxi*

Infallible.Been there, done that.:smoke: