Temporary Residency/Operating a Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

echerriejr

Apr 15, 2006
I know a temporary resident can purchase property in the DR, but can they operate a business such as a Rancho for example (renting cabins, and operating a restaurant on site)?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Foreigners who have applied for and obtained Provisional/Permanent residency may operate a business here in the DR subject to all of the terms and conditions that apply to all businesses.

Foreigners who have obtained Provisional/Permanent residency and foreigners who have not obtained residency may not legally work in the DR for wages, salary or on contract.

Residents operating a business may pay themselves a salary, but that salary is subject to taxation and deductions just like any other employee.

Foreigners who have achieved Dominican Citizenship, may work in the DR without restriction.

There is no residency classification "Temporary", check your wording.

Feb 7, 2007
@CDN_GRINGO - please do not provide misleading information. You CAN WORK for anybody and get wages, when you have temporary or permanent residency. You can work for yourself (your own company) or for any company in the DR and be paid wages, and be subscribed to social security and health insurance.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sorry, one of the conditions of all levels of residency for foreigners is the condition that you may not work in the DR as an employee. There are no exceptions. Any resident, provisional or permanent that is working in the DR as an employee is doing so illegally. They may be getting away with it, but the immigration legislation does not allow it.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Sorry, one of the conditions of all levels of residency for foreigners is the condition that you may not work in the DR as an employee. There are no exceptions. Any resident, provisional or permanent that is working in the DR as an employee is doing so illegally. They may be getting away with it, but the immigration legislation does not allow it.

Me thinks you post bad info

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I know exactly what the current requirements and conditions for residency are. I am sure, since this is the legal forum, that a Guzman Associate will step forward and offer clarification. If anyone bothered to read/translate the residency paperwork they signed when applying, they would see that it is documented in several places that foreigners applying to live here under any residency program (the only way a foreigner can get residency btw) may not work here unless they start their your own independent business.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

it is self evident that if you are a legal permanent resident, you will be allowed the right to earn an income. that includes the legal right to hold a job.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I will say this one more time, then wait for the lawyers to weigh in. Foreign nationals (with or without residency) may not legally work in the DR without a work visa for which sponsorship from a DR company is required. The only way for a foreign national to obtain residency is by applying under one of the existing residency programs. All of these programs (without exception) stipulate that foreign nationals granted residency may not work here as an employee and you agree not to accept "a job" in return for being granted residency.

Foreign nationals who have been granted residency may operate a business that they start on their own or purchase from someone else.

Foreign nationals who become Dominican citizens may do whatever they want.

The DR does not approve residency for people who need to work after they come here. The DR wants your money, not your skills. They have a hard enough time employing their own citizens without having foreigners come here and take the few jobs that are available.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I dont recall signing any paper that stipulated I couldnt work as an employee, while filling in my paperwork for residency.....
I cant remember signing anything except "certifies that all the above is true" thingy........
Will have to look throught the papers again........

Oh and on the first letter u write in spanish to the dr ambassy in ure home country, I wrote that one of the reason I was applying for residency was to be able to work legally.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I will say this one more time, then wait for the lawyers to weigh in. Foreign nationals (with or without residency) may not legally work in the DR without a work visa for which sponsorship from a DR company is required. The only way for a foreign national to obtain residency is by applying under one of the existing residency programs. All of these programs (without exception) stipulate that foreign nationals granted residency may not work here as an employee and you agree not to accept "a job" in return for being granted residency.

Foreign nationals who have been granted residency may operate a business that they start on their own or purchase from someone else.

Foreign nationals who become Dominican citizens may do whatever they want.

The DR does not approve residency for people who need to work after they come here. The DR wants your money, not your skills. They have a hard enough time employing their own citizens without having foreigners come here and take the few jobs that are available.

Me thinks you post bad info. Hell, I know you do.

http://dr1.com/legal/migration/advantages.shtml

"What are the advantages to getting a residency?
A resident can work and do business in the Dominican Republic; a non resident cannot do so legally."

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I know exactly what the current requirements and conditions for residency are. I am sure, since this is the legal forum, that a Guzman Associate will step forward and offer clarification. If anyone bothered to read/translate the residency paperwork they signed when applying, they would see that it is documented in several places that foreigners applying to live here under any residency program (the only way a foreigner can get residency btw) may not work here unless they start their your own independent business.

I think this information is incomplete. There are business visas that you might qualify for. See: Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Cdn_gringo simply has it wrong. Having provisional or permanent residency allows one to work legally. No matter how much he writes or how strongly he states the contrary.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Me thinks you post bad info. Hell, I know you do.

DR1 - Legal

"What are the advantages to getting a residency?
A resident can work and do business in the Dominican Republic; a non resident cannot do so legally."

A non-resident is not allowed to live here, so of course they may not work here.

That information posted is dated and not attributable to any reputable source that I can determine. DR1 despite what some may think is not the final authority on the current thinking/intent of the DR Govt. The info you point to may have been true when it was written but it is no longer accurate today.

No matter how hard you wish, you will not find any Govt. document or website that specifically states legal foreign residents may work for wages as an employee without a work visa or some other legal provision.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think this information is incomplete. There are business visas that you might qualify for. See: Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

If one applies for and receives a visa to conduct business here, then obviously you may do so. Being granted residency under the terms of any residency program currently available, does not in and of itself immediately confer one with the ability to become an employee.

I suspect some who are being so contrary are not residents. If you go through the process from start to finish beginning at home, there is no way one can be confused about this. It is very clear that you are being granted permission to live here, not work here unless you elect to run a business which is vastly different than coming here and getting hired by someone else as an employee.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
or......

it may be that Investor type residency has work restrictions -- as is often the case in many countries

Bahamas has a 'fast track' program that prohibits work...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If one applies for and receives a visa to conduct business here, then obviously you may do so. Being granted residency under the terms of any residency program currently available, does not in and of itself immediately confer one with the ability to become an employee.

I suspect some who are being so contrary are not residents. If you go through the process from start to finish beginning at home, there is no way one can be confused about this. It is very clear that you are being granted permission to live here, not work here unless you elect to run a business which is vastly different than coming here and getting hired by someone else as an employee.

If you read the OP, he does intend to run a business.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you read the OP, he does intend to run a business.

I did say several times in previous posts in this thread that legal residents, provisional or permanent, may operate a business they start or purchase. So the answer to the OP's question was answered in Post #2. If some would limit their comments to that which they know for sure and can backup if needed much confusion would be avoided. If my ability to read Spanish was much better, I could find the current terms of the Residency Programs on the Migracion website, but I can't. The internet never forgets and much of the information returned in a search in English for Dominican Republic Residency is no longer accurate.

I confirmed as much with my Lawyer via email this morning before really sticking my neck out. Maybe someone at Guzman and Assoc will offer a clarification in the near future.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Cdn_Gringo will obviously disagree with that direct quote from Guzman Ariza's website since he did just get an email from them that disagrees with their very own website. Does their own website need a clarification or can legal residents continue to work as they have been. Or must all legal residents who are employees now cease being employees?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The contents of that Guzman page appears exactly as presented as far back as 2006. That makes the information at least 8 years old. As the disclaimer at the bottom of the page says, "This website is designed for general information only. The information presented should not be construed to be formal legal advice..."

In the absence of any credible reference to the contrary, it is still my position and belief that foreigners granted residency effective with the most recent legislative changes are not permitted to work for wages, salary or on contract unless sponsored by a DR company and a work visa is granted.

I base this belief based on the documents presented to me by the DR Embassy in Ottawa in January 2014 when I made my initial inquires about moving to the DR full time. My Lawyer as recently as this morning confirmed via email that the DR doesn't accept immigration applications from anyone that does not have a suitable foreign income or assets (Haitians excepted). All immigration applications are governed by a set of regulations collectively referred to as the residency programs. Some or all of these were updated relatively recently. Some programs were removed, some programs were combined. As of this year and I suspect as of the the last revisions, residents are precluded from working here as outlined earlier.

Someone who obtained their residency in 2006 may indeed be entitled to legally work here. I do not know and cannot say because I know nothing of the terms and conditions for residency before 2014. I cannot legally work here as an employee of someone else under the conditions of my residency, but that doesn't mean I can't get a job. It's done all the time, it's just not legal to do so. Violating the conditions of residency puts one's residency at risk of being revoked. Residency is not a right.

I'm done with this. The OP's question has been answered. What he intends to do is welcome and legal here provided he is a resident and not an overstaying tourist.

Status
Not open for further replies.