Do builders get discounts on materials

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
Spoke to a builder about putting up a house in Punta Cana. He listed everything along with his fee. After looking at the figures, I wondered if he got a discount. He didn't mention it one way or the other but I know where I live, a builder usually gets 15% off list price.

Is the same thing true in the DR? Anyone know good companies to buy doors, windows, other materials?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it all depends. some ferreterias will offer a discount on larger purchases, if you know how to discuss the price. other shops may offer discounts to frequent buyers (architects, maestros and so on). sometimes discount is offered to person in charge of the construction but the bill is at full price, so the difference is pocketed between the shop and the builder.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
A builder or someone with a company can apply for a discount at most large building supply/hardware stores such as Ochoa for 10% off. Perhaps talking with the manager or owner one can get a larger discount, but what happens is that builders often get preferred treatment in terms of quicker delivery and they can buy on credit.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The builder gets the discount, he does not pass on the discount to you.

You can negoitiate your own discount with the vendors. But, you may be required to make arrangement to have materials delivered at your cost to worksite. Best you get an estimate of material costs from builder and vendors and then compare.

Get two construction prices from builder, when he acquires and pays for materials, when you pay and acquire materials.

It's a headache but may be worth your while to compare.

Regards,.

PJT

Regards,

PJT

Feb 2, 2013
This is a game you probably will not win, I would say it is close to impossible to have a transparent approach here where the builders margin is clear, constant and fair. Discounts, easily faked volumes, kickbacks, etc will make it impossible for you to control. My guess, and it is a guess, is that most builders here makes a lot more than the "transparent" cost calculation with 10% margin they show you.

I do have one company which I use in the area I think is better - feel free to send a private message, also happy to share my material costs from a recent project.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Everything in the DR is negotiable. Wife built a house near Villa and negotiated credit and substantial discounts from the local building supply. I have not kept up with prices but when she built the prices of rebar and concrete were up and down. She waited to buy low and it paid off substantially. No Dominican that puts up money is going to allow a builder to walk off with any discount on construction supplies.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
if 'he 'does' that discount is for him...his truck, his tools, his secretary, his gas, wow...if he got a 10% discount at lumber store and drove/loaded his truck took 4 hrs back and forth...had a coffee and a couple of sodas for his kids...wow after paying for gas/dies and praying for no flats he comes out w/a few bucks...of course he really wasnt wrking ,,,was he?