Dominican Areas in Manhattan, NY

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I stumbled upon these maps of the last congressional elections between the African-American Rangel and the Dominican Adriano Espaillat. The maps focuses on upper Manhattan (everything north of Central Park) which is the area where Harlem and Washington Heights are located, the first known as the main African-American neighborhood on Manhattan and the second one as having the highest concentration of Dominicans outside of Santo Domingo, supposedly.

If anyone has wondered where exactly does the Dominican portion ends, these electoral maps leaves the question satisfactorily answered. If anything surprised me is how sharp the boundary is, I thought there was a mixed area and that one community tapered off into the other.

The results for Espaillat (also includes a section of the Bronx in the upper right; might have to right click on the image and open in a new tab if image is not fully visible in the post):

ENLARGE_02espaillatmapfinal.jpg

The results for Rangel:

ENLARGE_01rangelmapfinal.jpg

Rangel Holds Off Espaillat in Congressional Primary - NY1

This took place back in June 2014:

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=lToiyHsfQaU[/video]

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The boundary are not that sharp on the ground, communities do taper into one another. A lot of superintendent are Dominican in Harlem as well so you always have a couple of Dominican family or two in the building even though they are not the majority.

Would be interesting to see in a few years from now as more and more people who are not AA, nor Dominican are moving to the area. I have a friend who has a 5 bed apartment (rent stabilized) a block away from Central Park, the owner offered her family 90 K to move out. They refused, lol, they could get more.