Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumbo building at POP roundabout

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    if you have a barbecue grill, make your own. two pounds of ground sirloin, combined with one pound of ground beef short ribs. season with salt and black pepper only, while you grill. that is as good as it can get.

I 100% agree with you. I buy here at my wife's cousin, who grows his own pigs, 50/50 pork and we have our own grinder. The best hamburger on our old iron stove grill. With  baguette from Jeanette. 

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Jumbo also buys from local farmers everywhere they have a store, especially when it comes to a variety of fruits and vegetables. One way or another, plenty of puertoplate√Īos are going to benefit from this store, which is the largest retail store in the entire province.
    100% correct. Thank you for this sound advice.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In regards to Jumbo as a whole, and if it is helpful for local commuters, remain aware of their weekly special for fruits and vegetables. This day usually brings in loads of people, which may cause havoc on your regular traffic routes. Also, the 6 week period of Navidad here in RD (across the country), usually keeps Jumbo wall to wall with shoppers for those 6 weeks. Plan accordingly. It is very disappointing to hear that they did not construct a proper entry/exit mechanism for vehicular traffic in their construction plans.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    In regards to Jumbo as a whole, and if it is helpful for local commuters, remain aware of their weekly special for fruits and vegetables. This day usually brings in loads of people, which may cause havoc on your regular traffic routes. Also, the 6 week period of Navidad here in RD (across the country), usually keeps Jumbo wall to wall with shoppers for those 6 weeks. Plan accordingly. It is very disappointing to hear that they did not construct a proper entry/exit mechanism for vehicular traffic in their construction plans.
    They did, but they opened before all the entrances and exits were ready. It should get better as people become more familiar with their options. But Dominican drivers are NOT patient so it may turn out to be a scary place to go afterall!

5. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

First visit review.... Most important..banos are by the far right entrance for those who travelled from Caberete or further. Right now they also have toilets seats ( La Sirena seat thieves annoy me). Two of the three sink faucet knobs have gone missing, though.

Large fruit & veg area is stunning but no bargains accept on 36% off day( Martes).
    The house Food Club brand will be familiar to North Americans. Example: house brand cherry pie filling 269 rd elsewhere here 168 rd.

The slippery ceramic tiles floors are kept more slippery by the constant washing by the Zamboni like  machines. Tip: wear sturdy shoes or sandals.

As someone else mentioned the fresh bread is very tasty at 69 rd.

Overall as Meems would have said its just meh!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abuela View Post
    First visit review.... Most important..banos are by the far right entrance for those who travelled from Caberete or further. Right now they also have toilets seats ( La Sirena seat thieves annoy me). Two of the three sink faucet knobs have gone missing, though.

Large fruit & veg area is stunning but no bargains accept on 36% off day( Martes).
    The house Food Club brand will be familiar to North Americans. Example: house brand cherry pie filling 269 rd elsewhere here 168 rd.

The slippery ceramic tiles floors are kept more slippery by the constant washing by the Zamboni like  machines. Tip: wear sturdy shoes or sandals.

meh is not the word. you can't even find basic stuff there...chocolate chips for baking...beef bouillon cubes..a decent brand of butter...a half decent brand of orange marmalade.

it blows.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

All these complaints about Jumbo make me wonder how different it is from the big one on Luperon in Santo Domingo. I find everything I need, and I even find things I didn't know I needed. Good prices too.

I've posted before about the inequality of products and pricing in different La Sirena stores, so I'm wondering if that's what's going on???????

Living as we do surrounded by farms and fruit/vegetable stands, we rarely buy those at the supermarket unless it's the sale day.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abuela View Post

The fresh bread, especially the baguettes, sell out fast. Local colmado owners usually buy a cart full, and then resell them at double the price. Fresh bread is also hard to find the day before, and day of a major holiday, as the lines would be just too long. Ask the bakery in advance if they will be operating on those special days to avoid disappointment.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    meh is not the word. you can't even find basic stuff there...chocolate chips for baking...beef bouillon cubes..a decent brand of butter...a half decent brand of orange marmalade.

it blows.
    I have no problems purchasing these items in the Jumbo stores in Santo Domingo or La Romana when need be. It could be because they are still stocking, and getting their feet wet. If a special item is needed, you can ask an associate manager. They have always proven to be helpful to me in the past.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    I have no problems purchasing these items in the Jumbo stores in Santo Domingo or La Romana when need be. It could be because they are still stocking, and getting their feet wet. If a special item is needed, you can ask an associate manager. They have always proven to be helpful to me in the past.
    i know they are trying, and i wish them the best. however, Jumbo in Santiago blows, too, so i am not anticipating any big doings in the future.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast