Jumbo building at POP roundabout

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here is article in diario libre they are referring to: El Grupo CCN abrir? cinco nuevos establecimientos en el 2015 - DiarioLibre.com
Con la apertura de los nuevos establecimientos, los cuales estar?n ubicados en La Vega, Moca, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo y en el Este, aportar?n alrededor de 700 nuevos empleos para la Rep?blica Dominicana.

my guess is they will have to put at least one more entry/exit that does not go to manolo tavarez justo.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We could use a third supermarket in our city of a quarter of a million people. They are opening a second Josie Lewis but that doesn't add to the competition factor. so come on Jumbo!

actually, POP is like 163,000 people. the second Jose Luis is already open. then there is La Sirena. all we need now is yet one more supermarket. we need them just as much as we need another garment store.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
the figure is shot from the get go. Maybe, possibly, ball park figures. The DR really has no idea who is in the country or where they are.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't you just love it when they make it accurate to 6 figures? one guy moves to Mao over the weekend and the figure is shot.

what can i say. it's a census and each person is supposed to be accounted for. of course by the time the data was compiled and prepared people died, were born, moved in/out. but the number of those included in a censo should be, theoretically, exact.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
what can i say. it's a census and each person is supposed to be accounted for. of course by the time the data was compiled and prepared people died, were born, moved in/out. but the number of those included in a censo should be, theoretically, exact.

The number should be exact by virtue of some theoretical construct. such a notion should be abandoned, because it is impossible to achieve exactitude. i wonder why it still persists.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
They should sponsor a census. Everyone march past a certain point on the Maricaon and each adult receives a beer for each person.

then it would read the population of DR as over 50 million because you just know people would be digging the dead and propping them up like in "weekend at bernie's", just to get that free beer.

ps don't let chic teach you how to spell "malecon" next time around. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have a feeling the first time you go shopping there, and find all sorts of things you can't buy anywhere else, you'll be singing praises.

I can assure you parking probably won't be a problem either.

Jumbo must be doing something right; the one on Luperon frequently has a full parking lot, and it hold hundreds of cars.

They also have 62 check out counters.

i hope you are right.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a feeling the first time you go shopping there, and find all sorts of things you can't buy anywhere else, you'll be singing praises.

I can assure you parking probably won't be a problem either.

Jumbo must be doing something right; the one on Luperon frequently has a full parking lot, and it hold hundreds of cars.

They also have 62 check out counters.

Agreed - you know where we live, and we drive all the way to Jumbo Luperon about once a month for a big shopping trip. By the time you reach the checkout you need a nap from all the walking. Since my knee surgery, I'll be looking for one of those ride on thingys next time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've only been to jumbo in santiago and it is always emptyish and has nothing worth my attention. i hope they'd up their game for POP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i've only been to jumbo in santiago and it is always emptyish and has nothing worth my attention. i hope they'd up their game for POP.

absolutely right. i heard about all the good stuff they are supposed to have, and made the trip to Santiago to get some.

i didn't.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
absolutely right. i heard about all the good stuff they are supposed to have, and made the trip to Santiago to get some.

i didn't.

The problem with JUMBO in Santiago is they are too far off from where the money is. Hence no business for imported/expensive stiff, equals less desirable merchandise. I was there yesterday and if you go to meat and veggie section you can smell and see the difference from currently popular stores in center of town. The row of non fresh veggies/fruit and the god awful smell on meat section alone made us never to shop there unless we don't want to stop by Nacional/Bravo for wines and minor stuff.

The only reason we go to Colina Mall is for the little Taiwanese spicy noodle soup that my wife and I enjoy. Only if there's a place that serve equally decent spicy noodle soup, we wouldn't venture into that part of the town.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...not to mention Jumbo is poised to snag as customers...... many of the thousands who flock to puerto plata, every week from the cruise ships......maybe PICHARDO has some numbers on that.........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la sirena has plenty of customers. so does jose luis. they will have to make adjustments but a third competitor will still take a nice share.