Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Jumbo building at POP roundabout

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Your trip reports are a little suspect as you on the record as saying you already have your preferred shopping location, and you also seem to be a bit on the, shall I say, thrifty side of the scale. It should be left to the individual consumer to see what may or may not work for them regarding this new location of a highly successful nationwide business, and a welcome addition to the local economy.
    what does having a preferred location have to do with anything regarding Jumbo?

i take dedicated trips to Santiago to shop at Bravo, because there are things there that i enjoy having, and they do not appear in the other supermarkets. Supermarkets in the DR are not like what i remember A and P to be...a place where there were endless choices in an infinite number of items.

on the thrifty side of the scale? because i do not throw away money by buying overpriced products and items?

and, of course each individual consumer is going to see if it works for them. that goes without saying.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in my local Jumbo this morning, and after reading your posting and having a chuckle, I had to take a further look at things. Regarding chocolate chips....check....in stock, right next to the other baking items. Bouillon cubes, check....in stock, Maggi and Dona Gallina, as well as Food Club and Knorr. Dona Gallina offered the chicken, and tomato flavors. Maggi, chicken flavor. Food Club and Knorr, beef flavor. Orange Marmalade, check....in stock, Bon, Goya, and World Classics Trading Company, right next to the bread section. As far as butter, you are correct in that they do sell Rica and Sosua, as in every other market throughout the RD, but they also carried Breakstone's (salted and unsalted), and Land O' Lake's (regular and reduced fat). I'm not sure what other brands you may prefer. I also went a step further, and stopped by customer assistance, and asked them what I already knew. I asked if there was an item not in stock, but offered by other Jumbo markets, would they be able to order it. They answered in the affirmative. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask.
    ***By the way, if you really can't find the bouillon cubes in beef flavor, may I suggest preparing a homemade Beef Broth. It's much healthier and more economical.
    is the Jumbo in POP your branch?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    what does having a preferred location have to do with anything regarding Jumbo?

i take dedicated trips to Santiago to shop at Bravo, because there are things there that i enjoy having, and they do not appear in the other supermarkets. Supermarkets in the DR are not like what i remember A and P to be...a place where there were endless choices in an infinite number of items.

on the thrifty side of the scale? because i do not throw away money by buying overpriced products and items?

and, of course each individual consumer is going to see if it works for them. that goes without saying.
    You are on the record as stating you already have your preferred shopping locations. It is only natural that when an outside presence enters that comfort zone you possess, a period of shall we say, inquietude shall also enter. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that consequential.
    As far as supermarkets in the RD not being able to compare to The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, well it's fair to say nothing in the good 'ol US of A today (2017) can compare to "A&P" of yesteryear as well because "A&P" went out of business entirely in 2015, after seeing steady declines in branded stores since it's peak of 16,000 in 1930, and it's regional monopoly of 4,000 in 1970. Times change. The Pacific Railroad was also once thought of as being the modern, most comfortable mode of transportation. Again, times change.
    I will agree with you that 70 pesos for an avocado (aguacate) is a bit much, when the going rate is 10-50 pesos depending on region and season, when not free.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of worrying about the first week of traffic, lack of beef bouillon cubes, and more supermarkets than garment stores, we should focus on the number of people who are now employed, receiving salaries and health benefits (seguros) as a result of Jumbo opening another branch. A steady source of income, more people and their children (dependents) having access to private clinicas, instead of the public hospitals. I would think these people are content right now.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You are on the record as stating you already have your preferred shopping locations. It is only natural that when an outside presence enters that comfort zone you possess, a period of shall we say, inquietude shall also enter. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that consequential.
    As far as supermarkets in the RD not being able to compare to The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, well it's fair to say nothing in the good 'ol US of A today (2017) can compare to "A&P" of yesteryear as well because "A&P" went out of business entirely in 2015, after seeing steady declines in branded stores since it's peak of 16,000 in 1930, and it's regional monopoly of 4,000 in 1970. Times change. The Pacific Railroad was also once thought of as being the modern, most comfortable mode of transportation. Again, times change.
    I will agree with you that 70 pesos for an avocado (aguacate) is a bit much, when the going rate is 10-50 pesos depending on region and season, when not free.
    i cannot do this.

i have children. i have grandchildren

they expect certain minimal standards from me.

they would never talk to me again if they found out that i was involved in a knock down, drag out , back and forth with someone on the internet about the availability of condiments in a supermarket.

i respectfully recuse myself, at this point. i owe it to those who look up to me.

6. Likes Caonabo, sylindr liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Happy shopping. Good luck with the chocolate chip, peanut butter cheesecake. Sounds yummy.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    is the Jumbo in POP your branch?
    i have a feeling that his branch is in san pedro. he does sound a gringo from san pedro, doesn't he? san pedro gringo, even...

North Coast Moderator

9. Likes pelaut liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i have a feeling that his branch is in san pedro. he does sound a gringo from san pedro, doesn't he? san pedro gringo, even...
    very perceptive, dv8. your genius bewilders me..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

deleted
    Last edited by ohmmmm; 10-13-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i visited the store with much interest. my thang is grocery shopping so i did not look at electronics or textiles and cannot comment on those sections.

the grocery part is pretty good. quite a lot of products i frequently describe as "hipster shyte", in other words all that is organic, free range, vegan, gluten free and whatnot. more than the la sirena, they even had vegan fake-ass cheezcake which i imagine is some sort of soy based concoction. also soy yogurts and a wide variety of non-dairy drinks. the only imported flour was tiny gold medal at 150 pesos a pound but i bought it anyways since beggars can't be choosers. lots of fancy veggies/fruits, great variety of cheese. bakery section i spit on: i tried few items and they were all meh bleh.

they had some items i have never seen before here: cardboard cake plates (bought it) manteca de cerdo (aka lard, bought it too) and dried lavender (totally bought it). nice selection of imported beef, we forked out over 6k pesos on a huge tenderloin. i regret nothing.

there were some issues at the register, the cashier did not have many codes for fruits/veggies and it took a while to enter the items. my bag of potato starch was repeatedly rejected tho and i had no patience to wait for them to sort it out. the prices are pretty steep for a store aiming at middle class.

parking is ample but a bit of a mess if you arrive there for the first time. exit is not well thought out but i expected as much. this goddamn rotonda is a crappy place to pass through even at the best of times. i also see the work on the property is in progress, i hear there will be an adjacent plaza, who knows, the space is ample.

overall my opinion is positive (aside from 13k pesos bill, ouch) but i won't be a regular. i like jose luis for our weekly shopping for convenience, speed and low prices. i will definitely stick to them for the time being. about once a month we used to go to la sirena for all the extras, i may change/rotate that to jumbo in the future.

North Coast Moderator

13. Likes ohmmmm liked this post
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast