Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 132

Thread: Jumbo building at POP roundabout

  1. #101
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    meh is not the word. you can't even find basic stuff there...chocolate chips for baking...beef bouillon cubes..a decent brand of butter...a half decent brand of orange marmalade.

    it blows.
    At a minimum this is quite perplexing, as yes indeed these are basic items. Were you searching in the right aisles? Did you ask for assistance? The chocolate chips are usually right there along with all the other baking essentials. A variety of beef bouillon cubes can be found in the same aisle which features other bouillons such as Dona Gallina and Maggi. The orange marmalade is usually produced and sold by Bon, Goya and Food Club, with the occasional foreign product on sale if requested and in demand. As far as butter, it is my experience that Jumbo sells the exact same products as any other supermarket here in the RD, although, prices may vary.

  2. #102
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    At a minimum this is quite perplexing, as yes indeed these are basic items. Were you searching in the right aisles? Did you ask for assistance? The chocolate chips are usually right there along with all the other baking essentials. A variety of beef bouillon cubes can be found in the same aisle which features other bouillons such as Dona Gallina and Maggi. The orange marmalade is usually produced and sold by Bon, Goya and Food Club, with the occasional foreign product on sale if requested and in demand. As far as butter, it is my experience that Jumbo sells the exact same products as any other supermarket here in the RD, although, prices may vary.
    ok, lets do this. i just went there this afternoon. i wanted some semi sweet chocolate chips to make a peanut butter chocolate chip cheesecake. they had none. they did not have this variety of bouillon cubes...just the same old Maggi and Dona Gallina. absolutely no beef, just chicken. yes, they had some jelly type stuff, but no orange marmalade. as for butter..Rica, Sosua, and one or two others. Rica and Sosua are not exactly butter..

  3. #103
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why is it that I would have guessed your report would be negative !!!

  4. #104
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monfongo View Post
    Why is it that I would have guessed your report would be negative !!!
    you dont have to read it.

    two suggestions..

    1..put me on ignore

    2..when you see my handle, don' read what i post.

    there are other posters in the thread who have used the word MEH to describe the place. i did not see you attacking them.

    if you have a personal beef with me, don't read what i post.

  5. #105
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The only store I have been to in the DR that isn't "meh" is PriceSmart. And it is just a bit above "meh".

    At some future point I will get to see the uninspirational and over priced JUMBO.

  6. #106
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The overriding responses seem to lead to the same conclusion:
    Jumbo has mediocre selection and is way over priced. My significant other spent 8,000 pesos on her grocieries and said it was higher than Playero (which is far from economical) and she won't return. Throw in the traffic snarls it causes and perhaps we will be blessed someday with it going out of business ? Vote with your feet - go elsewhere.

    But I love Sosua butter - not sure why that is "Not Real Butter" ?

  7. #107
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    The overriding responses seem to lead to the same conclusion:
    Jumbo has mediocre selection and is way over priced. My significant other spent 8,000 pesos on her grocieries and said it was higher than Playero (which is far from economical) and she won't return. Throw in the traffic snarls it causes and perhaps we will be blessed someday with it going out of business ? Vote with your feet - go elsewhere.
    well, mofongo...where are you?

    65 pesos for an aguacate, which i get from my guy in Long Beach for 20?

    they can keep them.

  8. #108
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    ok, lets do this. i just went there this afternoon. i wanted some semi sweet chocolate chips to make a peanut butter chocolate chip cheesecake. they had none. they did not have this variety of bouillon cubes...just the same old Maggi and Dona Gallina. absolutely no beef, just chicken. yes, they had some jelly type stuff, but no orange marmalade. as for butter..Rica, Sosua, and one or two others. Rica and Sosua are not exactly butter..
    Your trip reports are a little suspect as you on the record as saying you already have your preferred shopping location, and you also seem to be a bit on the, shall I say, thrifty side of the scale. It should be left to the individual consumer to see what may or may not work for them regarding this new location of a highly successful nationwide business, and a welcome addition to the local economy.

  9. #109
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    ok, lets do this. i just went there this afternoon. i wanted some semi sweet chocolate chips to make a peanut butter chocolate chip cheesecake. they had none. they did not have this variety of bouillon cubes...just the same old Maggi and Dona Gallina. absolutely no beef, just chicken. yes, they had some jelly type stuff, but no orange marmalade. as for butter..Rica, Sosua, and one or two others. Rica and Sosua are not exactly butter..
    I was in my local Jumbo this morning, and after reading your posting and having a chuckle, I had to take a further look at things. Regarding chocolate chips....check....in stock, right next to the other baking items. Bouillon cubes, check....in stock, Maggi and Dona Gallina, as well as Food Club and Knorr. Dona Gallina offered the chicken, and tomato flavors. Maggi, chicken flavor. Food Club and Knorr, beef flavor. Orange Marmalade, check....in stock, Bon, Goya, and World Classics Trading Company, right next to the bread section. As far as butter, you are correct in that they do sell Rica and Sosua, as in every other market throughout the RD, but they also carried Breakstone's (salted and unsalted), and Land O' Lake's (regular and reduced fat). I'm not sure what other brands you may prefer. I also went a step further, and stopped by customer assistance, and asked them what I already knew. I asked if there was an item not in stock, but offered by other Jumbo markets, would they be able to order it. They answered in the affirmative. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask.
    ***By the way, if you really can't find the bouillon cubes in beef flavor, may I suggest preparing a homemade Beef Broth. It's much healthier and more economical.

  10. Likes ohmmmm liked this post
  11. #110
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    The overriding responses seem to lead to the same conclusion:
    Jumbo has mediocre selection and is way over priced. My significant other spent 8,000 pesos on her grocieries and said it was higher than Playero (which is far from economical) and she won't return. Throw in the traffic snarls it causes and perhaps we will be blessed someday with it going out of business ? Vote with your feet - go elsewhere.

    But I love Sosua butter - not sure why that is "Not Real Butter" ?
    Take the trip yourself, on a weekday, non-fruit/vegetable savings day, and make up your own mind. Jumbo will not be going out of business anytime soon. It is a brand Dominicans here and abroad with means are very familiar with, and insist on shopping in when visiting the RD. Opening day/week buggaboos occur in any business format. The true test will be to evaluate how they stand in six months, especially after the Christmas holidays.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO