What food stuffs can I legally bring into the DR?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is there a list or link I can search for? I just want to bring a few things like Italian spices, coffee, salt, pepper things like that.

I would never dream of bringing in meats or plants. I've never ever been searched ( suitcases or purse that is) anywhere I go and don't want to have a problem in my old age. ;)

Thanks

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is there a list or link I can search for? I just want to bring a few things like Italian spices, coffee, salt, pepper things like that.

I would never dream of bringing in meats or plants. I've never ever been searched ( suitcases or purse that is) anywhere I go and don't want to have a problem in my old age. ;)

Thanks

Any spice in a store-bought container. I bring peppercorns, chili, curry, Montreal steak spice, and a few others. Same for coffee (sealed no problem)

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
We bring store packaged spices, curry paste and the like with no problems. Happily we have found icing sugar in the stores here, I was a little nervous having a 2lb bag of white powder in my suitcase. Probably didn't need to worry, we were arriving here not departing.:)

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
A couple of years ago, I had to bring in kosher meat for Passover from NY to Sosua. I called to consulate to check and was told that it was acceptable to bring in meat as long as it was in original packaging, frozen, and wrapped in a plastic bag to prevent drips. Just recently, I brought in a huge suitcase full of more meat. I think the key is original packaging.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You can take canned goods (tuna fish, spam, corned beef, salmon) as these items are pricey in the DR.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
A couple of years ago, I had to bring in kosher meat for Passover from NY to Sosua. I called to consulate to check and was told that it was acceptable to bring in meat as long as it was in original packaging, frozen, and wrapped in a plastic bag to prevent drips. Just recently, I brought in a huge suitcase full of more meat. I think the key is original packaging.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
We bring store packaged spices, curry paste and the like with no problems. Happily we have found icing sugar in the stores here, I was a little nervous having a 2lb bag of white powder in my suitcase. Probably didn't need to worry, we were arriving here not departing.:)

double post

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

Yes, there is icing sugar or powdered sugar but it does not have the same texture (smoothness) as the one sold in the states.

I used to take my own (a few 2 pound bags) in my checked luggage.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anna, each year I bring big sealed chunks of Parmigiano Reggiano and Locatelli Romano [from Sam's Club] in my suitcase. All the non-refrigerated stuff goes in the boxes. All the other stuff you mentioned would not be a problem.