Bringing $ to DR and cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Alright, and thanks for taking your time to read this. I will be going down to DR in a couple of days and have been going back and forth with how to bring down money. I don't really want to bring a large amount of cash on me but I am not sure about withdrawing money there from atm. Can someone suggest what would be best. Also, when you do withdraw money is the exchange rate the same as if you would exchange your dollars anywhere else or would I be missing out by using an atm? If anyone has any insight please help out.

Now, as for the phone I plan on bringing my unlocked gsm phone. Now, with all the new rules I hear about people needing to identify themselves to when connecting their phones how would I be able to get this done? Or could I have someone who lives there put it under their name? Also, I can just get something that's prepaid I'm assuming, right? Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
1. You should have no trouble buying a SIM card for your phone using your Passport.

2. ATM exchange rate should be the same as the bank it belongs to, but you're limited as to how much you can take out daily, you'll be paying almost $5/USD per withdrawal, and run the risk [however small] of your card being cloned.

You don't say how long you're staying, or where you're staying [hotel, private home of a friend, rented apartment].

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I will be stayin about 20mins away from airport (in Santiago) in a private home I have rented out for about 10days. So, every time I use the atm it charges me about $5? Hmmm...

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I will be stayin about 20mins away from airport in a private home I have rented out for about 10days. So, every time I use the atm it charges me about $5? Hmmm...

Yes, about that amount. And the withdrawal limit may vary from machine to machine, bank to bank, day to day. One day they may only allow 5,000 pesos, another day 10K, the next 2500. Now, if your home bank allows more than that, you can use the machine more than once, even back to back transactions, but you'll pay the $4-5 on each withdrawal. Adds up fast. Remember, this is in addition to whatever your home bank charges you per transaction.

It may be safer than hiding cash in the house though. Some people bring down small lockable safes that can be attached to something in the house, but I've never seen one nor used one.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I will be stayin about 20mins away from airport (in Santiago) in a private home I have rented out for about 10days. So, every time I use the atm it charges me about $5? Hmmm...

alterego has given you excellent advice... but sheesh from the sounds of your 10 day "ESCAPADE" in Santiago just bring 2k in cash, that will be enough for your putas and any other debauchery you get yourself into for those 10 days...

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Sorry..I had to edit my post since I forgot to mention that I will be staying in Santiago. Anyhow, so what would be the best option then? I mean I could bring some money down and then have someone send me as it is needed but that could also get expensive and it won't be done as quickly as I would want. Man...things have sure gotten a little rough. I guess I am not sure of what to do then...

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
alterego has given you excellent advice... but sheesh from the sounds of your 10 day "ESCAPADE" in Santiago just bring 2k in cash, that will be enough for your putas and any other debauchery you get yourself into for those 10 days...

Nah man...I'm going there with my family(wife, 2 teenagers and my little six year old princess) and 2K won't do.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
hahahahahahaha

Automatic monger visit.

This is like seeing a fine lady in a Santiago club and an automatic judge as a whore.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe someone on DR1 in Santiago can introduce you to a Casa de Cambio who will cash checks for you. [PM him please]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
just carry the cash..... why not.... it won't be huge...up to $10k is legit

or ask your bank if they have a relationship in RD for free ATMs

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
If you're really worried, create a xoom.com account and verify your identity before you leave.

You can send USD or $RD and the fee depends on the amount sent.

Take cash though. Who will know you have money on you unless you open your mouth to everyone?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
just remember where you hide the cash in your house.......I lost my passport once in my apartment...........i was fairly panicking, was not sure if i had been robbed or not............eventually found it in my scuba fins with a bunch of dollars......

someone posted on another thread about buying a loaf of bread and cutting a hole inside the loaf and stashing your money in there, keeping the loaf in the freezer.

its all part of the fun.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If you are that concerned about money best bet is invest in money belt. http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-T...TF8&qid=1418757097&sr=8-2&keywords=money+belt

I had one and went though 6 months trip in South East Asia once, just take out the amount you need for the day and save it the rest for later. The thieves will most likely ask for stuff in your pockets and will probably not ask you to pull down your underwear unless they saw you taking money out from it.

I don't know if they exist anymore but unless you have a bank that does certain amount of international withdrawals for discounted rate, I don't recommend withdrawing money unless in emergency situation, as there were too many incidents recently. Couple of family I know had their card eaten by the machine and other had weird charges showing up after several cash withdrawals. And as AE mentioned the bank charge is extortion. When everything was said and done, I think it was like near $30 transaction fees and exchange rate for A withdraw. So when I have to withdraw money, I make sure it is absolute emergency situation (like at the hospital).

Unless you are going all locals, best bet is carrying a credit cards and call your card company before hand and tell them you are coming down here and see the options of security the offer before hand.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
If you're worried about stashing cash around the house, purchase a portable security case with a steel cable that you can secure to furniture or fixture. They are made for handguns, but you can use them for anything. People use them as travel safes.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Alright, and thanks for taking your time to read this. I will be going down to DR in a couple of days and have been going back and forth with how to bring down money. I don't really want to bring a large amount of cash on me but I am not sure about withdrawing money there from atm. Can someone suggest what would be best. Also, when you do withdraw money is the exchange rate the same as if you would exchange your dollars anywhere else or would I be missing out by using an atm? If anyone has any insight please help out.

Now, as for the phone I plan on bringing my unlocked gsm phone. Now, with all the new rules I hear about people needing to identify themselves to when connecting their phones how would I be able to get this done? Or could I have someone who lives there put it under their name? Also, I can just get something that's prepaid I'm assuming, right? Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Although you have to pay a fee I would use the ATM. You are better off paying in Rd Pesos than flashing around a lot of US dollars. You can bring US and go to the bank but I believe they will also charge you a fee for the exchange.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Remember credit cards are widely accepted here, many times preferred because of lack of change. Most people here use them instead of cash for purchases in larger stores, restaurants, hotel accommodations, tours etc. Major tourism businesses will take them. Those that will not are small businesses, especially in tourism areas. For those pesos are best. The amount you will need will depend on your itinerary. Would think you would do fine with US$400 in cash that you can go changing as you need them.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
If you are going to use credit cards, just keep an eye out for different prices for cash. It usually hotels. They will usually mark up the price if you pay by credit. I assume to cover the percentage the credit company takes.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
In addition to the transactions fees your bank may charge, the other consideration is the exchange rate you get using at an ATM is generally not as good as what you get at a casa de cambio. I would take cash, particularly if your end destination is safe and you can keep your cash somewhere it won't be stolen. Of course you need to take care traveling with cash and should not travel with a lot of cash while the DR, expecially at night, but getting there should not be a problem.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Be sure and tell your bank you are going to the DR otherwise you may find your credit cards locked. US banks have figured out that the DR is a hi fraud area and are very cautious if there is any sort of suspicious activity on your account. What I think happened is that they got tired of making good on hacked accounts. They paid me back quite a good sum more than once. If they do lock your card you will play hell unlocking it from the DR. I learned it the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.