Kidnapped for christ, in DR, Jarabacoa to be exact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
My TrendMicro antivirus gave me a warning about this page.

Thats what it is there for, it's the pop ups. If you have a antivirus then you'll be fine. Putlocker is pretty good as far as that goes. I've never had issues and use it regularly.

Or just don't watch it.

if you decide not to, here are a few comments left about it.

Last edited:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Karolis Tamulionis
i feel sick to my stomach ... poor souls ! i hope you all find a way to live your lifes at peace

Dec 6

Karolis Tamulionis
never trust anyone who can clean his consciousness by talking to imaginary friend!!

Dec 6

Fay Derrig Stevenson
Misguided sick fools . How are they allowed to get away with it . Glad I am British !

Nov 30

Christopher S. Jannette
Only a conservative piece of **** would have a bunch of people rip someone they love out of their bed in?*See More

Nov 22

2 people

Sean Eklund
It's also the cause of a lot of love and community. Religion isn't the problem, bad people are the problem.

Nov 22*?*Like*?*

Brandon Carotta
That's where you're wrong. Religion is the problem. It deceives good people into doing bad things.

Nov 22*?*Unlike*?*

Colin Cameron
Brandon Carotta , well said .... not sure if the majority of them are good people, though. I once asked a?*See More

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Brutal offshore Christian reform school exposed in new documentary

Brutal offshore Christian reform school exposed in new documentary

idnapped for Christ? is a new documentary that tells the story of teenagers sent to an evangelical Christian boarding school outside the U.S. where school personnel attempt to rid them of feelings of same sex attraction or other ?ungodly? influences.

?They mess your mind up,? said former student Deirdre Sugiuchi to Raw Story. ?Prisoners have more freedom than we had.?

The ?school? is Escuela Caribe, an evangelical Christian reform school that is run like a prison camp by an organization called New Horizons Youth Ministries.

Many of the students are the children of Christian parents who believe their sons and daughters? nascent feelings of same sex attraction can be eliminated by the school?s program of Bible study, brutally hard work, exercise and physical punishment to break the students down.

Other students, like Sugiuchi, were the children of well-to-do evangelicals who were just being normal teens.

?My parents were fundamentalist Christians,? she said, ?and they didn?t like the way I was turning out.?

So, at 15, Sugiuchi was sent to school in the Dominican Republic at Escuela Caribe. There were only about 40 students at the school at any given time, she said, and from the moment students arrive they are placed on a stringent system of punishments and rewards.

Students were broken down into levels, with lower level students forbidden from speaking or even looking at higher level students.

?When you start at zero level, you then had rules about who you could look at,? she explained. ?You couldn?t talk to members of the opposite sex until you were on second level and you had to fulfill a wide variety of requirements to move up.?

?At zero level, you?d have to be three feet away from a staff member or a supervisor at all times. You had to ask to go from room to room. It was insane,? she said. ?Prisoners actually have more freedom than we had.?

Sleep deprived and worked to exhaustion, the students are fed on a diet of ?sugar and fat,? Sugiuchi said. ?It was in no way adequate to the amount of manual labor we were doing. We weren?t getting the nutrients we needed.?

While only one student is known to have died at Escuela Caribe in a flash flood, Sugiuchi said that school officials pushed the students to the very brink of their physical endurance in order to make them more malleable and open to what she called a program of straightforward ?brainwashing.?

?They mess your mind up,? she said. ?The whole time I was down there I thought, ?This is all going to be for the good, I must be living through this for something,? but instead I came out incredibly traumatized.?

?People get sent off to these places and it ruins them,? she said. ?I?m lucky. A lot of my friends have serious drug problems, broken relationships, broken lives, suicides, you name it.?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Truth about New Horizons Youth Ministries - Alumni?Q&A

What is your name?

Lisa Brown
To which institutions were you sent?

Escuela Caribe: March 1994 - May 1996, Marion: May 1996 - July 1996
How old were you?

16-18 years old
When were you enrolled in The Program?

March 1994 - July 1996
What was the highest level you attained?

The highest level I reached was 1st. I spent all but 3 weeks of my stay on 0 level.
Please describe the circumstances that got you sent to The Program:

I was never in trouble with the law. I didn't do drugs. I smoked a few cigarettes, cut a few classes at school to hang out in the art room. I had fallen in with a group of peers who were either gay or goth. Some of my friends did drugs. My parents assumed that I did, too. At the heart of all of our problems was undiagnosed bipolar disorder. They were afraid that I would kill myself, or that I would sleep around and get pregnant. They thought the program would provide therapy. That's what they have said in bits and pieces, although they have refused to breach the subject in conversation to this day.
In which house(s) did you live?

I was in TKB, Starr, Herrick, and Pitts.
Please describe instances of abuse you experienced while in the program, if any:

This is an awkward question because I believe every day was a violation of my person. I was required to ask to pass through doorways, supervised in the bathroom, forced into manual labor, as were all students. That is humiliating and abusive. In addition to these things were the special little tortures like being "swatted" or beaten with a leather strap on my bottom while bent over a chair, holding the low rungs with my hands. There was an occasion where I was hit so hard that instead of the usual blood-blisters, my skin actually broke. I was kept on a diet where I was allowed only one serving of food. I wasted to 121 lbs on my big boned 5'5" frame. My bones stuck out. I slept on a 1" foam pad with 3 slats because I was ranked lowest in the house. I got bruises from the slats on my hipbones. I was forced to do exercises until I vomited and my body gave out, then punished for not doing more. I was isolated in the "quiet room" twice. This is an isolation room open to the outside. For 3 months I was on "silence" and not allowed to speak except to ask permission or directions from the staff. There was one couple who did relief staffing for the houseparents who put me on silence for all meals because they said I talked about stupid things. This is by no means a finished list, just a taste.
Describe abuse of other students you witnessed, if any:

I remember a girl being dragged by her hair into a cold shower because she was frightened and new, then she was chased up the hill road by the director on a motorcycle carrying a leather strap to hit her with. I also remember hearing "sessions" where the director would swat other girls while insulting or coddling them, without rhyme or reason.
Do you have any good memories of The Program? If so, what are they?

The food was really really good. It was the good thing you could always count on.
What is your overall impression of The Program? Did it “help you”?

I am diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder as a direct result of my experience in the program. I don't feel it helped me at all.
What do you think of the quality of education you received?

Your education really depended on how well you could teach yourself. My math teacher had to help me a lot but all in all I feel like I knew all I needed to, except for chemistry, which is difficult to teach oneself.
How old are you today?

I am 27 years old.
Did you go to college after attending The Program? If so, what degrees do you have?

I have attended 3 different colleges and 2 vocational schools. I have no degrees.
What is your profession?

I am a midwife's assistant and a doula by trade, but am unemployed.
Do you consider yourself a Christian today?

I am Buddhist.
What effect did “The Program” have on your faith?

It ruined any chance of me being a Christian. This has alienated me from my family and gotten me kicked out of 2 schools.
Please feel free to add comments here:

Parents, if your children need help, there are plenty of theraputic institutions that will love your child into good self-esteem and pride in themselves. Places where your children will learn that they are too valuable to waste their lives on crime or drugs, or to abuse their bodies. This program is not that place. Good luck on your search.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
The Truth about New Horizons Youth Ministries - Alumni*Q&A

What is your name?

Lisa Brown
To which institutions were you sent?

Escuela Caribe: March 1994 - May 1996, Marion: May 1996 - July 1996
How old were you?

16-18 years old
When were you enrolled in The Program?

March 1994 - July 1996
What was the highest level you attained?

The highest level I reached was 1st. I spent all but 3 weeks of my stay on 0 level.
Please describe the circumstances that got you sent to The Program:

I was never in trouble with the law. I didn't do drugs. I smoked a few cigarettes, cut a few classes at school to hang out in the art room. I had fallen in with a group of peers who were either gay or goth. Some of my friends did drugs. My parents assumed that I did, too. At the heart of all of our problems was undiagnosed bipolar disorder. They were afraid that I would kill myself, or that I would sleep around and get pregnant. They thought the program would provide therapy. That's what they have said in bits and pieces, although they have refused to breach the subject in conversation to this day.
In which house(s) did you live?

I was in TKB, Starr, Herrick, and Pitts.
Please describe instances of abuse you experienced while in the program, if any:

This is an awkward question because I believe every day was a violation of my person. I was required to ask to pass through doorways, supervised in the bathroom, forced into manual labor, as were all students. That is humiliating and abusive. In addition to these things were the special little tortures like being "swatted" or beaten with a leather strap on my bottom while bent over a chair, holding the low rungs with my hands. There was an occasion where I was hit so hard that instead of the usual blood-blisters, my skin actually broke. I was kept on a diet where I was allowed only one serving of food. I wasted to 121 lbs on my big boned 5'5" frame. My bones stuck out. I slept on a 1" foam pad with 3 slats because I was ranked lowest in the house. I got bruises from the slats on my hipbones. I was forced to do exercises until I vomited and my body gave out, then punished for not doing more. I was isolated in the "quiet room" twice. This is an isolation room open to the outside. For 3 months I was on "silence" and not allowed to speak except to ask permission or directions from the staff. There was one couple who did relief staffing for the houseparents who put me on silence for all meals because they said I talked about stupid things. This is by no means a finished list, just a taste.
Describe abuse of other students you witnessed, if any:

I remember a girl being dragged by her hair into a cold shower because she was frightened and new, then she was chased up the hill road by the director on a motorcycle carrying a leather strap to hit her with. I also remember hearing "sessions" where the director would swat other girls while insulting or coddling them, without rhyme or reason.
Do you have any good memories of The Program? If so, what are they?

The food was really really good. It was the good thing you could always count on.
What is your overall impression of The Program? Did it ?help you??

I am diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder as a direct result of my experience in the program. I don't feel it helped me at all.
What do you think of the quality of education you received?

Your education really depended on how well you could teach yourself. My math teacher had to help me a lot but all in all I feel like I knew all I needed to, except for chemistry, which is difficult to teach oneself.
How old are you today?

I am 27 years old.
Did you go to college after attending The Program? If so, what degrees do you have?

I have attended 3 different colleges and 2 vocational schools. I have no degrees.
What is your profession?

I am a midwife's assistant and a doula by trade, but am unemployed.
Do you consider yourself a Christian today?

I am Buddhist.
What effect did ?The Program? have on your faith?

It ruined any chance of me being a Christian. This has alienated me from my family and gotten me kicked out of 2 schools.
Please feel free to add comments here:

Parents, if your children need help, there are plenty of theraputic institutions that will love your child into good self-esteem and pride in themselves. Places where your children will learn that they are too valuable to waste their lives on crime or drugs, or to abuse their bodies. This program is not that place. Good luck on your search.

Now called Caribbean Mountain Academy. Anyone heard of it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now called Caribbean Mountain Academy. Anyone heard of it?

Here is a link to the new school at the location where the movie was done:

Therapeutic Christian Boarding School | Family Counseling Services

Even on their home page they have contradictions:
Do you feel like you're running out of options to help your troubled teen? Wondering if a teen boot camp approach will provide the authentic change you truly desire?
Our teen summer program gives teens the tools for lasting change.

Our faith-based programs do not offer a “quick fix,” or a” teen boot camp approach”,

They will get your money any way they can. Got a gay kid you want to fix? Send him off to the DR...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sunday, November 25, 2012
Caribbean Mountain Academy in Need of Reform

This summer, I signed a petition addressed to Crosswinds/ Lifeline Youth and Family Services CEO Mark Terrell. Jesus Land author Julia Scheeres wrote the petition after requesting input from various survivors of New Horizons Youth Ministries, including myself.
In the petition, we asked Mr. Terrell to implement several changes to protect students enrolled at the former Escuela Caribe campus, now called Caribbean Mountain Academy. We asked him to dismiss any staff employed by New Horizons Youth Ministries, particularly staff who had worked at Escuela Caribe.
There have been numerous documentations of abuse at the D. R. campus---Julia Scheeres’ 2006 memoir, Jesus Land, Kate Logan’s documentary in progress Kidnapped for Christ, testimonials collected by survivors of New Horizons Youth Ministries. My book, Unreformed, recounts these abuses. Were Crosswinds serious about addressing the violations committed during New Horizons Youth Ministries 40 year history, they would have fired every individual previously employed by Escuela Caribe/ New Horizons Youth Ministries. They would have abolished the level system. They would have established an oversight committee. They wouldn't isolate teens in a facility located in a third world country.
Instead, they chose to retain people who were either there or were trained by individuals employed in 2006. That was the year that my husband and I traveled to Escuela Caribe so I could assess for myself whether or not abuse was still occurring at the D.R. facility, 15 years after I graduated. While there we met a sixteen year old girl at our hotel- her parents were visiting. During their stay they realized that for the previous several weeks this student had been on silent support (a holdover from my time)- where she was only allowed to speak after being spoken to by staff. She was regularly being paddled. She had been on zero level during her entire seven month stay. (Students on zero level can only speak to same sex students second level and above, have to stay within an arms’ length of the housestaff at all times, etc). Not only were most of the girls in her house also on zero/first level, their housefather was only 24 years old. He had no training in working with adolescents, just a bachelor’s degree in economics. This girl’s family had bankrupted their retirement for this “therapy.” (The student was withdrawn).
Crosswinds insists on retaining former staff, even though they were either there or were trained by individuals employed at Escuela Caribe in 2006 (2006 was also the same year that Kate Logan videotaped many abuses for the documentary Kidnapped for Christ). Additionally, they also are continuing Escuela Caribe's practice of hiring underpaid and untrained staff. New hires are required to have a strong personal relationship with Christ, but only need a high school diploma or GED. The annual pay is only $12,500, which leads one to assume that CMA's $5000 monthly tuition is not being used to provide high quality staff. Unfortunately underpaid and untrained staff in an isolated environment will guarantee abuse...see the Stanford Prison Experiment if you need a case study.
Terrell has suggested that those of us drawing attention to this school are doing it for our own personal gain. I believe he is making these claims to deflect attention away from the reforms he knows he should make at Caribbean Mountain Academy. Every individual who has been involved in protesting the abuses at Escuela Caribe/ Caribbean Mountain Academy has done so in order to protect kids. The only gain any of us receive in requesting that reforms be enacted is knowing that teenagers will not be abused.

Unreformed: Caribbean Mountain Academy in Need of Reform

Status
Not open for further replies.