So what would you do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I'm sitting in a barrio in Puerto Plata. My family lives here, and it's what I consider my home base. Its "fin dia de ano" of couse, so outside the colmado, everybody is drinking cerveza, ron, and roasting chickens in the street. There are also two members of the Gurerro (military) keeping an eye on things. Automatic weapons and all.

Here lies the problem. One of the military guys lives right behind us. He of course knows knows us as well as everybody else in the barrio. He's a young man mid 20's I would say. This kid gave his loaded automatic weapon to a civilian (friend) on the street for him to check out. This in my opinion is a very dangerous, unprofessional thing to do, and I was floored. I started snapping photos of the site unfolding in front of me before putting my phone away at which point I walked up to him and asked for a private word with him. I asked him how much training he has had regarding automatic weapons. He responded almost a year. I asked him how much time the guy he gave his weapon to has had. He looked at me strangely. I then asked what his Captain would say if he knew he did gave up his weapon to a civilian? Again he didn't respond but his mouth dropped open before he finally said he never even gave it a thought. I told him he was stupid and put his job and everybody in the barrio at risk by doing this. It all ended with us shaking hands, patting him on the back, and him thanking me for telling him what I did.

My thought is that this kid has no business with an automatic weapon on the street. I should send the pictures (they are illegal here I believe because he is in the military) to the military for their viewing with a long letter pointing out the possible consequences and unprofessionalism or this guy asking if they are all so ill trained as this guy obviously is. However, the ramifications to my family could be huge in doing this. This is my question. What do you all think?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I was at a chicken stand last year here in Sosua. There was a cop there with a rifle. He leaned his rifle on the side of a table while he put some sauce on the side of his takeout. The rifle fell over on the floor and the cop asked me to prop it back up for him. I did. I never met him before....he thanked me. It is part of life here I suppose.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The " capitain " of local PN in nearby village was getting a local oversized chica undressed during his afternoon paaaaaauuuuussseeeeee.
As he was pulling his pants up ( or down-----the story has diffrent versions. ) he managed to discharge his pistol and blew a hole right through his foot......... to be fair the captains version is he was cleaning his weapon, when it happened ( yeah yeah......).
So if a PN captain can be so careless and of course nothing happened to him ( from hierarchy )........ I can just imagine the young ones on the street.........

I'd let it pass just to save myself any problems that could arrise.........

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If the two of you are neighbors, I'd erase the photos and pretend it never happened.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
rebel, nothing good can come from you reporting this, and everything bad can happen.

Remember where you are..........

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I am glad you stepped in and corrected the young man. It is a matter of training and poor judgement. The fact that you know him carried a lot more weight and obviously your manner in speaking to him had the right effect. I do not think taking it further would help him nor the overall picture. Leon Alter from the north coast Crime stoppers organisation has donated pepper spray to the POP NP and the Sosua NP and has volunteered to train new recruits in the use of pepper spray as well as force options and hand cuffing techniques. I believe with additional training the police and military can and will adopt a more professional posture. Along with training also goes a reasonable pay scale. This will not eliminate corruption and unlawful and incompetent behaviour but it is a start in the right direction. Change starts with the little things.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
If the two of you are neighbors, I'd erase the photos and pretend it never happened.

Ya know, I was thinking of having coffee with him in the morning and explaining that with all of the cell phones people have nowadays, that someone could have taken a photo of this act, that could have caused him to loose his job. What I really want him to get is that this guy friend or not could have mistakenly shot a bunch of people. One photo clearly shows the civilian opening the bolt partially indicating to me that there was one in the pipe.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Wow I am floored that he thanked you! No way would I say something to them about their careless behavior!

I have to. I'm not called Jst_a_Rebel for nothing. This unfortunately is where my dilemma lies. Even here in the DR, this was a totally ignorant act that I'm really having to think about the best way to get this guy to understand not only his stupid mistake, but the responsibility that goes along with handling any weapon. Especially one fully automatic.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Ya know, I was thinking of having coffee with him in the morning and explaining that with all of the cell phones people have nowadays, that someone could have taken a photo of this act, that could have caused him to loose his job. What I really want him to get is that this guy friend or not could have mistakenly shot a bunch of people. One photo clearly shows the civilian opening the bolt partially indicating to me that there was one in the pipe.

And he is going to think that you took pictures of him. He may perceive it as a threat as you seem
to keep rubbing it in by mentioning it again, stating someone might have taken pictures. Get it? :)

You already brought it to his attention and he thanked you for it, so if I were you, I would
just drop it because there was no fatality involved. It was a careless act on his part. If he
thanked you, then he understands and looks like he will not be so careless next time.

Last edited:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
rebel, nothing good can come from you reporting this, and everything bad can happen.

Remember where you are..........

I was hoping you would chime in ae. I know this too which is why I'm thinking coffee in the morning with him is the best idea. I can't just leave this alone. Maybe look up some horror stories online regarding this sort of thing to share with him. I know how backwards things here are, but this could have easily been a horrible incident. I can't believe this kid can be stupid enough not to realize this.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

You pulled him aside and did the right thing. I congratulate you for being a positive role model for this young man,
I think if you had anything else to say regarding this situation, it would have been better to say it on the spot. Although I completely understand you wanting to explain "what could have happened" I wouldn't bring it up again because depending on who he knows and how well liked/ connected he is, it may turn out very bad for you and your family.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
My wife was telling me that taking pictures of military or police here is illegal. Does anyone know if this is true without a doubt?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
You pulled him aside and did the right thing. I congratulate you for being a positive role model for this young man,
I think if you had anything else to say regarding this situation, it would have been better to say it on the spot. Although I completely understand you wanting to explain "what could have happened" I wouldn't bring it up again because depending on who he knows and how well liked/ connected he is, it may turn out very bad for you and your family.

He also knows how well connected I am here too. Not blowing my horn, but if I didn't have connections here, I wouldn't have said anything to him and let it alone. One that note, thanks for the replies everybody, i needed to talk to non dominicans about this, and appreciate everybody's input. Time to dance with my wife and enjoy fin dia de ano.. Happy New Year to everyone. I'll post on this tomorrow with what i did or didn't do. Im actually thinking now to just leave sleeping dogs lay as AE and CristoRey suggested.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I would let it lie....you said your piece...hopefully he learns from you ...if he were to repeat the act...then send the pics...everyone can make a mistake

Aug 6, 2006
Why is it that people do not learn to unload a firearm before cleaning it? Do these same people also bathe with their shoes on?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How long have you lived here?

Don't do anything, unless you want a world of pain and be considered just another "gringo pendejo".

Make a friend and move on.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
And he is going to think that you took pictures of him. He may perceive it as a threat as you seem
to keep rubbing it in by mentioning it again, stating someone might have taken pictures. Get it? :)

You already brought it to his attention and he thanked you for it, so if I were you, I would
just drop it because there was no fatality involved. It was a careless act on his part. If he
thanked you, then he understands and looks like he will not be so careless next time.

I agree! To bring the issue back and tell him that someone could have taken pics of him and denounce him could sound like a threat to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.